Moving overseas


frosgrim
 Share

Recommended Posts

Some of you may know that I spend a lot of my time overseas for my job.  Well, I'm finally being moved to Malawi for a 2-4 year assignment.  I'm looking forward to the assignment, but will have to figure out if I can get league pass to work to catch the Hawks. 

By the way, the amount of work to move overseas is unbelievable. Luckily, my organization is handling a lot of the move logistics, but with shipping so disrupted a lot of my household stuff will not make if for a long time.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Premium Member
5 hours ago, frosgrim said:

Some of you may know that I spend a lot of my time overseas for my job.  Well, I'm finally being moved to Malawi for a 2-4 year assignment.  I'm looking forward to the assignment, but will have to figure out if I can get league pass to work to catch the Hawks. 

By the way, the amount of work to move overseas is unbelievable. Luckily, my organization is handling a lot of the move logistics, but with shipping so disrupted a lot of my household stuff will not make if for a long time.  

Good Luck and Enjoy it as much as you can. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Premium Member
19 hours ago, frosgrim said:

Some of you may know that I spend a lot of my time overseas for my job.  Well, I'm finally being moved to Malawi for a 2-4 year assignment.  I'm looking forward to the assignment, but will have to figure out if I can get league pass to work to catch the Hawks. 

By the way, the amount of work to move overseas is unbelievable. Luckily, my organization is handling a lot of the move logistics, but with shipping so disrupted a lot of my household stuff will not make if for a long time.  

The best to you on your new adventure!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
4 hours ago, frosgrim said:

Made it safely to Lilongwe last on the 29th.  Dogs got here on the 1st and they are both in good condition.  We're getting our house set-up and finding our way around.  We already found a nice restaurant that serves great Thai food, which was a nice surprise.  All in all, I think we'll be very happy here.  My job is insanely busy, but that is what i signed up for.  

This is so great.   I live such a sheltered existence i would love to here what it's like there because i have no idea.  Just hearing there is a Thai restaurant was shocking to me.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, the Thai restaurant was a bit of a surprise to me as well.  I've traveled  A LOT (I'm at 42 countries visited, and 3 lived in for more than 3 months) in my career and it is amazing what you can find all over the world.  People all around the world have interesting stories that lead them to places you would never expect them to be, yet there they are.  I need to get the story on the Thai place though, I'm sure it is very interesting and I'll share when I can.

As for what it is like here. Malawi is one of the poorest countries in the world.  There is a lot of under-nourishment and high-levels of malnourishment, despite most people living on farms. The main economic exports are ag products, but I think they're exporting too much food. The people here are wonderful.  Super friendly, very open and welcoming.  The professionals I'm working with are very committed to improving the country.  For example, I talked with a medical doctor yesterday as he showed me his hospital.  What was sad is he had 100 beds, but his service area is 550,000 people. They are dealing with HIV, COVID-19, and all the other standard hospital issues (e.g., injuries, antenatal care, deliveries, and other infectious disease).   Today, I'm looking at what can be done to improve that situation.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Premium Member
6 hours ago, frosgrim said:

Yeah, the Thai restaurant was a bit of a surprise to me as well.  I've traveled  A LOT (I'm at 42 countries visited, and 3 lived in for more than 3 months) in my career and it is amazing what you can find all over the world.  People all around the world have interesting stories that lead them to places you would never expect them to be, yet there they are.  I need to get the story on the Thai place though, I'm sure it is very interesting and I'll share when I can.

As for what it is like here. Malawi is one of the poorest countries in the world.  There is a lot of under-nourishment and high-levels of malnourishment, despite most people living on farms. The main economic exports are ag products, but I think they're exporting too much food. The people here are wonderful.  Super friendly, very open and welcoming.  The professionals I'm working with are very committed to improving the country.  For example, I talked with a medical doctor yesterday as he showed me his hospital.  What was sad is he had 100 beds, but his service area is 550,000 people. They are dealing with HIV, COVID-19, and all the other standard hospital issues (e.g., injuries, antenatal care, deliveries, and other infectious disease).   Today, I'm looking at what can be done to improve that situation.

 

That's great that you and others are willing to do this work.   It's really inspiring.   I have a zillion questions but I'll just ask one more if you don't mind.  What's your housing/neighborhood like?  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/13/2021 at 10:53 AM, macdaddy said:

That's great that you and others are willing to do this work.   It's really inspiring.   I have a zillion questions but I'll just ask one more if you don't mind.  What's your housing/neighborhood like?  

We are in a secured house.  It sits on about an acre of land with 10' concrete walls, barbed wire on top.  The house its self has sections that can be closed  off and locked.  So, for example, the sleeping rooms have an iron-bar door and a wooden door than can be closed and locked. In terms of quality, it is a nice house.  It isn't anything like we had in Atlanta (not that we had a super nice house, but it was our house), but we are starting to settle in.  

In terms of the neighborhood. We are definitely in a higher cost area.  There is  private school just down the street from us.  Most of the homes, i think, are occupied by ex-pats from the US and other donor nations (Japan, Brittan, China, and the UN agencies).  There are several restaurants within a 3-7 minute drive. 

Grocery shopping is an adventure here.   You never know what will be in stock, and you should expect to go to multiple stores to get what you need.  The butcher has really good meat, but it is a 30+ minute drive for us (due to traffic).  Gas is expensive, about $1.40 a liter, so we don't drive unless we have to. 

Please ask questions! part of my responsibility is to be a facilitator for cross-cultural learning. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Premium Member
On 10/16/2021 at 9:15 AM, frosgrim said:

We are in a secured house.  It sits on about an acre of land with 10' concrete walls, barbed wire on top.  The house its self has sections that can be closed  off and locked.  So, for example, the sleeping rooms have an iron-bar door and a wooden door than can be closed and locked. In terms of quality, it is a nice house.  It isn't anything like we had in Atlanta (not that we had a super nice house, but it was our house), but we are starting to settle in.  

In terms of the neighborhood. We are definitely in a higher cost area.  There is  private school just down the street from us.  Most of the homes, i think, are occupied by ex-pats from the US and other donor nations (Japan, Brittan, China, and the UN agencies).  There are several restaurants within a 3-7 minute drive. 

Grocery shopping is an adventure here.   You never know what will be in stock, and you should expect to go to multiple stores to get what you need.  The butcher has really good meat, but it is a 30+ minute drive for us (due to traffic).  Gas is expensive, about $1.40 a liter, so we don't drive unless we have to. 

Please ask questions! part of my responsibility is to be a facilitator for cross-cultural learning. 

So the physical security is against theft for the most part vs safety?   How safe is it walking around?   do you have reliable power, water, internet etc.?   How urban is the area?  like any other city?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.