• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Power Rankings

sillent

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I don't have an opinion really on Doc.  I mean the Sixers are way better with him than Brown but that's not a big accomplishment.   But Doc deserves way more heat for the Sixers just getting embarrassed by the Hawks in the playoffs.   

Somehow... this felt like a slam against THE HAWKS??

Can't 2 things be true...

1.  Doc did a good job with the 76ers.

2.  The Hawks were the better team.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, kg01 said:

We thowin' parades for scratchin', clawin' to .500 records with middling rosters these days?

#TrashCoach

not these days... Those days.. Those days when Kobe, Duncan, KG, Allen, Shaq, CWebb, Lonzo, Vince, Kidd, Hill all played and were all in their prime. 

This was the all NBA team in those days:

All-NBA

3rd Team

Vince Carter 

Eddie Jones 

Stephon Marbury 

David Robinson 

Those days... The competition was Better.  And with No Allstar... Doc pulls off what he pulls off in those days??

GLEnn Coached his ass off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

not these days... Those days.. Those days when Kobe, Duncan, KG, Allen, Shaq, CWebb, Lonzo, Vince, Kidd, Hill all played and were all in their prime. 

This was the all NBA team in those days:

All-NBA

3rd Team

Vince Carter 

Eddie Jones 

Stephon Marbury 

David Robinson 

Those days... The competition was Better.  And with No Allstar... Doc pulls off what he pulls off in those days??

GLEnn Coached his ass off.

(This post is brought to you by the word 'multiple'.  See how many times you can find the word.)

Which weighs more?  This forgettable season or the multiple ... I repeat MULTIPLE, spectacular playoff exits the guy's led(sic) with superior talent on paper?

I mean, it takes talent to lose a 3-1 series lead once.  This man has done it with multiple organizations.  Multiple.

• Premium Member
    2 hours ago, kg01 said:

(This post is brought to you by the word 'multiple'.  See how many times you can find the word.)

Which weighs more?  This forgettable season or the multiple ... I repeat MULTIPLE, spectacular playoff exits the guy's led(sic) with superior talent on paper?

I mean, it takes talent to lose a 3-1 series lead once.  This man has done it with multiple organizations.  Multiple.

Sometimes KG... You have to look at the job that a person does with what they have.

If I sent you out to catch fish with thread and a Gem Clip and you came back with 2 fish @ 6 lbs total...  vs. somebody going out with a Bass Boat with a fish finder,  5 Abu Garcia Rod and Reel sets, all the artificial lures in the world, all the live bait he could carry.. and he came back with 10 fish @ 18lbs total. 

Which are you more impressed by?

Doc may not have done what he could have done later in his coaching career.. you can say that about a lot of coaches.. However, Doc has won a championship  and Doc has proven himself in that first season.

When that final tally is taken... You may hate it but he's going down as a hall of fame coach.   His mantle already has an NBA Finals Championship Trophy and a Coach of the Year award.  How many coaches can say that?

We can start here... There are 35 coaches that have won the NBA Championship.   Among those Doc has the 24th highest win% in the playoffs. 

• Moderators
    14 hours ago, Diesel said:

Somehow... this felt like a slam against THE HAWKS??

Can't 2 things be true...

1.  Doc did a good job with the 76ers.

2.  The Hawks were the better team.

Nah.  The Hawks were the better team and were amazing but it's easy to forget that we played inconsistently like you'd expect from a young team.  But if you're the coach of the #1 seed, veteran team, and they are blowing the huge leads like the sixers did then you got to look in the mirror. 

On 8/27/2021 at 9:12 AM, Spud2nique said:

If I’m Sac I make a move Gramps. The Kings have been somewhat mediocre since Brad Miller was semi intimidating dudes, take the gamble. Not sure if they have the assets but they need something soon. Kings fans deserve it. Although I’m not sure if they deserve a broken Simmons but one that could possibly get better in a low key environment like Sacramento. 

I spoke it into fruition Gramps. Ben does have the best odds of landing in Sacramento according to oddsmakers.

According to MyBookie, the Sacramento Kings are the favorites (+250) to sign Philadelphia 76ers‘ point guard Ben Simmons. Notwithstanding their current luxury tax space amount of $5,521,317, they are $25,465,197 over the cap. To add to that, the Minnesota Timberwolves have the second-best odds (+400) of trading for Simmons. While the Toronto Raptors‘ odds show +2000, tied for sixth with the Washington Wizards, they are in active trade negotiations with the 76ers.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

i would think Kings fans would revolt if they trade Fox for Simmons.   

Agree Fox 🦊 is the better player but the Kings have the luxury of having Haliburton. I’m not sure if 2 guys about the same size in Fox and Hali are worth keeping together. 

It’s a gamble but I’d go for it if I’m Sac. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Best move: Trading for Delon Wright

At least on paper, Wright is the best backup point guard the Hawks will have going into the start of a season in the Trae Young era. That’s not a crowning achievement considering some of the players who have worn a Hawks jersey in the past three seasons, but alas. Frankly, though, getting Wright for only Kris Dunn and Bruno Fernando, two players who were not going to be part of the rotation, is a big win for Atlanta because stability in the second unit has been needed.

Biggest question: Can the Hawks continue improving defensively?

After McMillan took over for Lloyd Pierce in March, the Hawks dramatically improved defensively. They went from having the 23rd-best defensive rating under Pierce for the first 34 games of the season to tied for 10th best in their final 38 games under McMillan.

That 10th-best mark is an important one to note because defensive rating rankings have been a reliable indicator for title chances come playoff time this century. 

Biggest adjustment: Satisfying everyone’s ego

If the Hawks can stay relatively healthy unlike this past season, McMillan figuring out the rotation on a nightly basis is going to be a challenge because of how deep the Hawks are. It’s not a bad problem to have at all if you’re a coach, but it can become difficult if guys aren’t playing as much as they desire.

The team spoke about having to sacrifice for the greater good last season, and they’re going to have to do it again because the depth is even better than it was.

Biggest reason for optimism: Young’s postseason performance

Not that there should’ve been doubt prior to the start of the playoffs this past season, but Young should have quieted every single doubter he had. He almost led the Hawks to the NBA Finals, and who knows what would have happened if he didn’t accidentally step on a ref’s foot in the Eastern Conference finals. He simply leveled up in the postseason, and if he continues playing as he did, the Hawks have one of the best players in the NBA.

He’s undeniably one of the game’s most unguardable players because he can shoot from anywhere on the floor and is one of the best passers in the league. He makes opposing defenders’ lives hell because of how well-rounded he is on that end of the floor. The next part of his growth should center around being a bigger threat when the ball isn’t in his hands and improving his overall efficiency; he still isn’t an elite shooter yet.

What we’ve seen out of Young, though, is that the Hawks can win big with him, and it’s scary to think Young is still only 22 years old. He’s only going to continue getting better. That should be a terrifying thought for other teams.

Biggest reason for pessimism: Can Hunter be fully healthy?

I made the argument that Hunter was the Hawks’ best player to start last season. He was phenomenal and looked nothing like what he did in his rookie season. The growth from Year 1 to Year 2 was astounding, as he looked like someone with two-way star potential. Hunter then partially tore his meniscus 19 games into the season, came back for two games then was shut down because that same knee swelled up. He was able to play in the first round against the Knicks; he was good defensively but very rusty offensively. 

Where do the Hawks stack up in the East?

Here’s where I see the Eastern Conference a month out from training camp:

1. Brooklyn Nets
    2. Milwaukee Bucks
    3. Atlanta Hawks
    4. Philadelphia 76ers
    5. Miami Heat
    6. Charlotte Hornets
    7. Indiana Pacers
    8. Boston Celtics
    9. Chicago Bulls
    10. New York Knicks
    11. Toronto Raptors
    12. Washington Wizards
    13. Detroit Pistons
    14. Cleveland Cavaliers
    15. Orlando Magic

The goal for the Hawks this season should be maintaining home-court advantage through at least the first round of the playoffs, and that should be doable with the talent and depth on this roster.

• Like 3
    • Thanks 1

• Moderators

I love Giannis and i'm ok with the Bucks but i'm going to go ahead and say that I'll be really surprised if they get to the finals again this year and may not even make the ECF.   They really caught a lot of breaks to get there last year.   I'm not convinced they are better than the Hawks or the Sixers (other than the whole Simmons side show causing issues).   

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I love Giannis and i'm ok with the Bucks but i'm going to go ahead and say that I'll be really surprised if they get to the finals again this year and may not even make the ECF.   They really caught a lot of breaks to get there last year.   I'm not convinced they are better than the Hawks or the Sixers (other than the whole Simmons side show causing issues).   

I can't find the exact quote but Giannis said something along the lines of being content even if he never won another championship since he has now done it. 

They caught a lot of breaks and I'd be curious to see if they have that same fire to defend it - that takes another level of motivation.  I see plenty of other teams (including ours) that could come out in the playoffs, catch them off guard, and beat them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The goal for the Hawks this season should be maintaining home-court advantage through at least the first round of the playoffs, and that should be doable with the talent and depth on this roster.

The goal should be getting the number one overall seed and avoiding one or both of Brooklyn or Milwaukee until the ECF.   I like our shot at the number one overall seed with our depth.

• Like 1

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/sixers/nba-rumors-ben-simmons-told-sixers-he-wants-leave-philly-report

Well there may be one team that may definitely lose some power in the power rankings sooner than later.

The clock is ticking and the whole nba knows it. He should've pounced on the Lillard deal when and if he had a chance.

I think the trade was Ben, Thyblle Maxey and a 1st I believe for Dame.

I'd be highly surprised if Morey gets anywhere near the deal he wants now.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
    15 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Nah.  The Hawks were the better team and were amazing but it's easy to forget that we played inconsistently like you'd expect from a young team.  But if you're the coach of the #1 seed, veteran team, and they are blowing the huge leads like the sixers did then you got to look in the mirror. 

When you look in the mirror, you see gassed Embiid that can't give you much in the 4th qtr... and Ben Simmons... and  Tobias Harris disappearing.  You can't say that Doc didn't try different personnel.  He tried Milton, Maxey, Thybulle and Korkmaz. 

• Premium Member
    7 hours ago, sillent said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/sixers/nba-rumors-ben-simmons-told-sixers-he-wants-leave-philly-report

Well there may be one team that may definitely lose some power in the power rankings sooner than later.

The clock is ticking and the whole nba knows it. He should've pounced on the Lillard deal when and if he had a chance.

I think the trade was Ben, Thyblle Maxey and a 1st I believe for Dame.

I'd be highly surprised if Morey gets anywhere near the deal he wants now.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ben for Bradley. 

Washington is middling just as bad as Portland.   Getting Ben would give them the opportunity to build around him.   I think a Beal/Embiid/Curry... 1,2,3 punch would be killer. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
    8 hours ago, Diesel said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ben for Bradley. 

Washington is middling just as bad as Portland.   Getting Ben would give them the opportunity to build around him.   I think a Beal/Embiid/Curry... 1,2,3 punch would be killer. 

Geez I hope not.   that would be good for the Sixers but you can't build around simmons.   Wiz would suck for years to come.  Of course they are going to anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
    • Premium Member

SI Top 100:

65. Jusuf Nurkić, Portland Trail Blazers
    64. Bogdan Bogdanovic, Atlanta Hawks (Previous year rank: 76)
    63. Aaron Gordon, Denver Nuggets
    62. Caris LeVert, Indiana Pacers
    61. D’Angelo Russell, Minnesota Timberwolves
    60. Marcus Smart, Boston Celtics
    59. OG Anunoby, Toronto Raptors
    58. Kristaps Porziņģis, Dallas Mavericks
    57. Klay Thompson, Golden State Warriors
    56. De’Andre Hunter, Atlanta Hawks (Previous rank: NR)
    55. Jerami Grant, Detroit Pistons
    54. John Collins, Atlanta Hawks (Previous year rank: 59)
    53: Mikal Bridges, Phoenix Suns
    52. Michael Porter Jr, Denver Nuggets
    51. LaMelo Ball, Charlotte Hornets

That leaves Clint and Trae in the top 50.

Top 100 NBA players of 2022: Ranking 100-51 - Sports Illustrated

• Like 2