• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Clint Capela agrees to a 2 year, $46 Million Extension

ATLHawks3

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The new TV deal is gonna play a massive role.

:good:...with all the extensions occurring across the league, teams are anticipating a good bump in the Salary cap particularly with the new TV on the horizon.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

Is this not a deal we could have done next summer? If not, I can understand this extension. But if we would have been in a position to negotiate this next summer, I'm not a fan of doing it now. Clint just led the league in rebounds and was our defensive anchor in a year where we made a shock run to the ECFs. I think his value is near its peak now; I doubt his price would go up much next summer, and it could very well go down. And locking him up now makes it tougher for us to move his contract off the books if he takes a step back at some point over the next two seasons, which will reduce our flexibility when Hunter and Cam are up for extension.

So yeah...I love Clint, but I feel like I'm missing something here.

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 1

Just now, MarylandHawk said:

I am kinda shocked they did that. I think it is a good deal but Seems a bit unnecessary at this point.  With OO17 being groomed and Cam and Dre’s extension next year somebody is going to be left hanging. 

Capela has more value now that he has 4 more guaranteed years than 2. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

I am kinda shocked they did that. I think it is a good deal but Seems a bit unnecessary at this point.  With OO17 being groomed and Cam and Dre’s extension next year somebody is going to be left hanging. 

You can go over the cap for those guys. If this team keeps making deep playoff runs, the luxury tax won't hurt as much.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

Maybe it's one of them....they still have to prove themselves worthy of early extensions.

• Like 3

• Moderators

I"m really surprised too but i guess i'm used to previous Hawks regimes.   If it makes him easier to deal that's a plus.   Not that i want him dealt but i'm not sure i can think of many close to 30 year old bigs who aren't stretch bigs making 20+ million.   Just checked and outside of Gobert the next closest is Adams at $17m and a sharp drop off from there.   

But i like CC.  I hope it works out. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I"m really surprised too but i guess i'm used to previous Hawks regimes.   If it makes him easier to deal that's a plus.   Not that i want him dealt but i'm not sure i can think of many close to 30 year old bigs who aren't stretch bigs making 20+ million.   Just checked and outside of Gobert the next closest is Adams at $17m and a sharp drop off from there.   

But i like CC.  I hope it works out. 

Jarrett Allen signed for $20 mil, Sabonis at $18, Bam $30 mil

• Thanks 3