• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Clint Capela agrees to a 2 year, $46 Million Extension

ATLHawks3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

at 23 per? not really

Keep in mind top guys will be at about $50M so Capela will be 40% of that.  Back when top guys were at $30M (my mind struggles to adjust from this period), this would be like $12m per... its great value imo and i rarely think that.  Dudes like duncan robinson who is way more one-dimensional are command up to $20M

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That it's easier to trade Capela and get real value back with 2 additional years vs trading him at the end of this season as an expiring for not much return?  :stirthepot:...:spiteful:

We all know what comes next, don't we?

databank_jedimindtrick_01_169_a491266d.jpeg.jpg

• Haha 4

• Premium Member

Another way to look at it.. 

It makes Cap more valuable in a trade. 

Aside from that though..

Love what Cap does for us.  We seem to have the future all traced out.  Even if in a couple of years, he steps back so that OO can step up. 

• Like 4

Awesome, Clint is the first real center we have had here in a long long time and he made ahuge difference for us last year, I do not count pillow soft Al "captain titty tear" as a REAL center either, Dwight H did ok here but was a head case.

Clint is still pretty young as well at 27, very excited for this core team to be in place a few years at least.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, swanlee said:

Awesome, Clint is the first real center we have had here in a long long time and he made ahuge difference for us last year, I do not count pillow soft Al "captain titty tear" as a REAL center either, Dwight H did ok here but was a head case.

Clint is still pretty young as well at 27, very excited for this core team to be in place a few years at least.

Just for some  revisionist history.

The problem wasn't Dwight... The problem was Dennis.   Dennis' selfishness was the problem with that team....  The guy is just not a winner. 

You sub Dennis with Trae... and Dwight is an allstar and Trae is an allstar... PNR would be Stockton-Malone-like.

• Like 4

I have real life commitment issues, so it always makes me fidgety when we start locking guys in the books. The "flexibility" we enjoyed over the last few years is now behind us. We have identified the first pillars of this new core, and will soon make decisions on the remaining pieces.

I am good with the decision to extend. It doesn't prevent us from moving on to OO in the near future if we choose to do so, but it definitely stabilizes the center position for us. I want Clint to give us more in the playoffs than he did this past season, but you have to get there first. And his impact during the regular season was analytically the best on the team. 

Trae is the fearless leader. John is the heart. Clint is the anchor that holds us down. 

• Like 3

Clint fits perfectly in this time frame and it’s not Gobert money. I compared them last season and a few people went after me but they are in the end very very comparable players. With Gobert you are paying a premium although 10 million more  premium which is why I like this deal for Clint much better than I like the Gobert deal with Utah. But I still don’t like the idea of spending crazy big money for a player who wrecks havoc on the boards on both ends, is a top level lob threat and is premier defender expect both Gobert and Clint consistently get worked over like embarrassed by the top level offensive Bigs in the NBA. Embiid Jovic ect. worked each Clapela and Gobert respectively. That being said I’m happy-ish with the deal but it’s clear even the best defender in the NBA would more than likely get worked by the best offensive player in the league. But in the end we need to balance out the team and Clint does that for years to come. Good move B+

6 hours ago, aali34 said:

You can go over the cap for those guys. If this team keeps making deep playoff runs, the luxury tax won't hurt as much.

Tax won’t hurt at all until I see that shit! As a fan of Atlanta sports for thirty years. Until I actually see Ressler pay the tax I won’t believe it.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, timebomb said:

Tax won’t hurt at all until I see that shit! As a fan of Atlanta sports for thirty years. Until I actually see Ressler pay the tax I won’t believe it.

If he doesn't want to pay the tax at some point, this team isn't going anywhere in my opinion. He's built goodwill with me so far with his decision to renovate the stadium and have add the Emory facility. I'll take his word for it until otherwise.

• Haha 2

This will look like super bargain rack in a couple years, becomes a trade gem, AND there’s OO insurance 🏦 

Just now, hazer said:

This will look like super bargain rack in a couple years, becomes a trade gem, AND there’s OO insurance 🏦 

That’s a bank ☝️ 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
22 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Jarrett Allen signed for $20 mil, Sabonis at $18, Bam $30 mil

Allen is 23 years old.  Sabonis is a versatile offensive player as is Bam in a different way.  And they are still several years younger than CC.   I'm not knocking the deal at all but the only player similar to CC in skills and age making that much is Gobert who makes waaaay more.    I'm guessing Travis views Capela as the best 'true' center in basketball outside of Rudy and that's good enough for me.  And/or knows that as others have said $22m will seem like a bargain in 2 years.   I get nervous about 30 year old bigs though. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

Allen is 23 years old.  Sabonis is a versatile offensive player as is Bam in a different way.  And they are still several years younger than CC.   I'm not knocking the deal at all but the only player similar to CC in skills and age making that much is Gobert who makes waaaay more.    I'm guessing Travis views Capela as the best 'true' center in basketball outside of Rudy and that's good enough for me.  And/or knows that as others have said $22m will seem like a bargain in 2 years.   I get nervous about 30 year old bigs though. 

Who are the players similar to CC in skills and age?

9 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

you can't really compare players on their first extension vs capela who's already signed one prior to the extra 2 years. Open market he'd easily get 4/100, a fair comp would be steven adams, and i think CC brings more to the table

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Clint is 27, in the prime of the NBA age range and making $19 mil this  season. Clint will be 30 in the last year of his deal.

He is currently the 9th highest paid center.

image.png

Center Active Player Contracts | Spotrac

• Like 2