Atlanta Hawks sign Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot to a Non-Guaranteed Deal

ATLHawks3

Like the signing of Johnny Hamilton, this is simply a hopefully stab at finding something good as we fill out our roster and our Skyhawk team.  Remember, Travis must fill all our open slots on two teams.

Putting a picture puzzle together requires that you have all the pieces to have a complete picture.  We must have all the pieces to have two complete teams.  He could be our 15th player or he could be one of our G League players.  

:hi:

• Premium Member

I'm neither here nor there regarding the signing as it's a unguaranteed deal. He has a chance to earn the spot in TC.  He's a decent enough rotation player.

If Kirschner's report is correct that's it's a Solo type deal from last year - it's an NBA contract (not E10) that will likely have a mid January-ish guarantee date.  I will view him as our Snell replacement. It's a wing league, the more depth the better. 

Assuming our GLeague team will be going full bore our current roster stands:

PG: Young, Wright, Lou,
SG: Bogdan, Huerter, TLC (UG)
SF: Hunter, Reddish, Solo
PF: Collins, Gallinari, Johnson
C - Capela, Dieng, Okongwu

• Like 3

Tim, a former 1st round pick, is listed as a 2 guard.  His career averages - 33.1 from down town and 82.7 free throws (I like) and is said to be a good defensive player.  If he turns out to be a good signing, then great!  If he doesn't work out, so what.  Great gamble, I believe.

:MooseGoggles:

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

it's an NBA contract (not E10)

I get it that it's the "same deal Solo got last season," but then the rest is key... effectively he's been invited to training camp and has the opportunity to make the team.

I don't think he makes the team unless, as was envisioned earlier, Hunter takes more time to get back than anticipated.... which, who knows, of course.

My speculation is that this is an "in case of emergency break glass" move.... while I'm still betting on SAS cutting and stretching Aminu, and on Aminu having interest in finishing his career with us in light of ATL being home, and that we can offer him some playing time until Big2O gets back, and still more than that if Hunter isn't ready out of the gate... nothing is a given.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Glen Willis is Jambrad. I finally cracked it. Glen and Brad go golfing 🏌️♀️ and they both have spotty strokes. 

Kg you’ve been on this gif a while what gives?

It's from a movie.  In that scene, the girl is telling the undercover agent she can lie with a straight face too (and therefore she can also be an undercover agent).

I use it in honor of our insiders.

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, sturt said:

I get it that it's the "same deal Solo got last season," but then the rest is key... effectively he's been invited to training camp and has the opportunity to make the team.

I don't think he makes the team unless, as was envisioned earlier, Hunter takes more time to get back than anticipated.... which, who knows, of course.

My speculation is that this is an "in case of emergency break glass" move.... while I'm still betting on SAS cutting and stretching Aminu, and on Aminu having interest in finishing his career with us in light of ATL being home, and that we can offer him some playing time until Big2O gets back, and still more than that if Hunter isn't ready out of the gate... nothing is a given.

No one thought Solo was making our team last year either.

JC and Gallo will be playing some Center minutes until OO returns. Hunter probably plays some minutes at PF, allowing wing minutes for TLC who offers a little more offensive versatility than Aminu. And as you noted in case Hunter is limited, possibly minutes restriction early in the season. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

No one thought Solo was making our team last year either.

Hmmm.

Was there some other option that I'm failing to remember? I don't recall us ever having more than 15 signed. And different from this, I do remember it being reported specifically that he'd signed for the minimum.

Maybe my memory is faulty, but the only time I remember even starting to think about Solo not being on the roster was just before the date (whatever it was) when he either had to be cut or it became guaranteed automatically.

• Premium Member

JC and Gallo will be playing some Center minutes until OO returns.

Right. Well, JC will anyway.

But unless one expects the first round draft pick to be getting consistent minutes every night (not me), or unless one doesn't think it's a priority to ensure he's getting consistent minutes by playing G-league (not me, again)... then you're left with Solo being your 5th big.

You could do that.

But why would you.

TLC who offers a little more offensive versatility than Aminu

I'm not so sure about that, actually, but I don't claim to be an expert on TLC's game the way that I know Aminu's. More research is coming on that front.

But I should add.... I'm also not married to Aminu, either... it's just been a process of deduction and given the factors of (a) who will accept a minimum deal and (b) who will accept not getting very many minutes and (c) believing that when Schlenk says "someone like Solo," it's not a reach to believe we should read into that someone who is on that 30+ end of his career.

"But you were rooting for Giles just a few days ago, and he doesn't qualify." Well, yeah, he does for the first two, but on the last one, no. I just had a personal preference.

At this point, I don't want to say this, but I could easily see Bismack Biyombo getting a call.

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, sturt said:

Hmmm.

Was there some other option that I'm failing to remember? I don't recall us ever having more than 15 signed. And different from this, I do remember it being reported specifically that he'd signed for the minimum.

Maybe my memory is faulty, but the only time I remember even starting to think about Solo not being on the roster was just before the date (whatever it was) when he either had to be cut or it became guaranteed automatically.

There was a brief debate of why sign him instead of bringing back Skal. I look for the thread.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, sturt said:

Right. Well, JC will anyway.

But unless one expects the first round draft pick to be getting consistent minutes every night (not me), or unless one doesn't think it's a priority to ensure he's getting consistent minutes by playing G-league (not me, again)... then you're left with Solo being your 5th big.

You could do that.

But why would you.

I'm not so sure about that, actually, but I don't claim to be an expert on TLC's game the way that I know Aminu's. More research is coming on that front.

But I should add.... I'm also not married to Aminu, either... it's just been a process of deduction and given the factors of (a) who will accept a minimum deal and (b) who will accept not getting very many minutes and (c) believing that when Schlenk says "someone like Solo," it's not a reach to believe we should read into that someone who is on that 30+ end of his career.

"But you were rooting for Giles just a few days ago, and he doesn't qualify." Well, yeah, he does for the first two, but on the last one, no. I just had a personal preference.

At this point, I don't want to say this, but I could easily see Bismack Biyombo getting a call.

IIRC, Gallo played minutes at Center last season.

In Schlenk's own words regarding the open roster spot:

.....maybe we’ll look to address that on a non-guaranteed deal kind of like we did with Solomon (Hill) last year for that last spot, where it gives us some flexibility going into the trade deadline.”

less about age but flexible at the trade deadline - I take that to mean the player can easily be cut before the guarantee date to open a roster spot..

All I could find

4 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Yes..good one very Thaboish. Having said that I’d take Thabo 10/10 times. Lol. He’s a budgeting man’s Thabo (notice his a$$ ain’t broke just yet) :indifferent:

Thrift shop Thabo

• Haha 2