• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jahlil Okafor to Hawks

Spud2nique

9 hours ago, dalamchops said:

okafor's rookie reason was better than any of eddy curry's except 06-07. if you want to talk about bad defense/reb, curry was even worse. okafor probably would've put up a couple 20ppg seasons if it weren't for embiid getting drafted onto the same team.

Okafor would have been a max cat during 2007-2008. He was superior to Zaza and a lot of bigs in that era. Shows how much the game has changed. Back then, Andrew Bynum was a massive deal. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 12:04 PM, Sothron said:

I feel that if Okafor had been able to play in the 80's or 90's he's at least a two or three time All Star. He can score in the low post and rebound. I kinda feel bad for him that he just happened to be playing in the wrong era for him. 

This is a solid pickup for us. It costs us nothing to have him on the roster. He's there as needed and we know what he can do. That's not a bad thing.

2000s as well. Remember Andrew Bynum and that era. Okafor can blame Al Horford and Millsap for changing the game for big men. There was a time being a tweener a death sentence. Not anymore. 

3 hours ago, ATLHawks3 said:

He's too slow footed to become anything more than an average defender.

He's too soft footed to even be an average defender. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

• Moderators
On 9/17/2021 at 1:04 PM, Sothron said:

I feel that if Okafor had been able to play in the 80's or 90's he's at least a two or three time All Star. He can score in the low post and rebound. I kinda feel bad for him that he just happened to be playing in the wrong era for him. 

This is a solid pickup for us. It costs us nothing to have him on the roster. He's there as needed and we know what he can do. That's not a bad thing.

Can he though?  8.7 rebounds per 36 is not what I'd call a center who can rebound.  That is a little better than Damian Jones and a litter worse than Ersan Ilyasova.  I'd put that in the weak sauce category for a guy with his size.

Okafor career:

19.1 points per 36 on .568% TS% (15 FGA/36)

8.7 rebounds per 36

1.5 blocks per 36

Andrew Bynum career:

16.2 points per 36 on .592% TS% (11.6 FGA/36)

10.8 rebounds per 36 

2.2 blocks per 36

Bynum made one single All-Star team in his career (despite being the third best player on two championship teams).  I don't think I'd project Okafor for stardom in another era based on what we've seen in his 247 nba games.

49 minutes ago, AHF said:

Can he though?  8.7 rebounds per 36 is not what I'd call a center who can rebound.  That is a little better than Damian Jones and a litter worse than Ersan Ilyasova.  I'd put that in the weak sauce category for a guy with his size.

Okafor career:

19.1 points per 36 on .568% TS% (15 FGA/36)

8.7 rebounds per 36

1.5 blocks per 36

Andrew Bynum career:

16.2 points per 36 on .592% TS% (11.6 FGA/36)

10.8 rebounds per 36 

2.2 blocks per 36

Bynum made one single All-Star team in his career (despite being the third best player on two championship teams).  I don't think I'd project Okafor for stardom in another era based on what we've seen in his 247 nba games.

For me the limitations on Okafor are his limited help defense and inability to guard a stretch big.  He would have been pretty good in the 90's but as soon as big men started shooting 3's he was fighting an uphill battle.

As a reserve today, he has a ton of upside but he's got a little Bruno in him (slow reaction times). That could have been really helped by the game of the 80's 90's but its still a limitation. I agree, very good but not dominant.

Also, centers were bigger then. His post game would have had to deal with pretty much every team having a 7 footer going 250 to contend with. I mean would he be a better scoring post center than Ewing, Robinson or Olajuwon?  I would venture not.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I mean would he be a better scoring post center than Ewing, Robinson or Olajuwon?  I would venture not.

Clearly not.  You don't have to go to the HOFers from that era.  Guys like Rik Smits and Brad Daugherty would have been very challenging assignments for him given their relative size and skill.

34 minutes ago, AHF said:

Clearly not.  You don't have to go to the HOFers from that era.  Guys like Rik Smits and Brad Daugherty would have been very challenging assignments for him given their relative size and skill.

Could you imagine having to bang with 7'4, 275 Mark Eaton for 35 minutes per night?

Eaton guarding Kareem.

Legendary Utah Jazz center Mark Eaton dies at 64

Edited by thecampster

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Could you imagine having to bang with 7'4, 275 Mark Eaton for 35 minutes per night?

Eaton guarding Kareem.

Legendary Utah Jazz center Mark Eaton dies at 64

Kareem was a big man so....yeah.  Both Eaton and Smits were 7'4'' and both were kind of JAGs for their era.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
7 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

Sharife is going to get minutes right off the bat. Dude can play right now at a high level in this league. How he slipped to the second round is insane, should have been a top 15 pick. 

I would have been psyched if we had drafted Sharife at #20.  Getting him where we did was highway robbery.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Count me as surprised both when Schlenk signed Okafor... and now, as he's given him his walking papers. I didn't see anything in the MEM game that would have led me to think he should be let go just yet--seemed to pretty much be what one would have expected, and even made a couple of defensive plays.

Hard to read Schlenk on this 15th seat since TLC seemingly hasn't distinguished himself either.

But then again, even as Okafor was signed, the working theory remained that Schlenk was just getting a free look and/but he would be actively watching for last-minute cuts from other teams right before the season's start.

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, sturt said:

But then again, even as Okafor was signed, the working theory remained that Schlenk was just getting a free look and/but he would be actively watching for last-minute cuts from other teams right before the season's start.

I think this nails it.

• Like 1