• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The last roster spot

sillent

The training camp roster is filling out.

We have Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot, Jahlil Okafor, Johnny Hamilton and A.J Lawson possibly battling for that final spot and filling out our training camp.

They will have to really impress to get it. I could still see Travis keeping that spot open for Sharife, Mays or even just waiting to see how the team looks mid-season.

With our rotations pretty much secure in every area to me the only thing missing is a 7fter.

Trae, Delon, Lou, Sharife

Bogi, Huerter, Mays

Hunter, Cam, JJ

JC, Gallo, Solo 

Clint, OO, Deing

If Hamilton impresses enough I could see us signing Sharife for a cheap 3yr deal and giving Hamilton the two way.

TLC could possibly get it as well and play an if necessary role like Solo for his vet presence and the fact that he's familiar with the competition (Nets).

We'll see.... It's possible all 4 above get cut after training camp and we send Hamilton and Lawson to the G League. 

Either way we are in great position!!

ps mods if this topic already exists can you please merge...

Edited by sillent
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Listen to the Locked On podcast maybe every couple of months, and happened to do that yesterday.

Hearing blogger Glenn Willis and host Brad Rowland speak so conclusively that TLC will be the 15th man, having an appreciable leg up on Okafor, made me do the old Tim the Tool Man Taylor "huh?" Or come to think of it, even better, made me do the old Arnold Jackson... 

what-you-talkin-bout-willis-gif-8.gif&eh

My opinion of the two players is fairly even, all things considered.

And this or any time that's the case, from where I sit, the final decision is so much more about what the GM perceives to be the most glaring need, not the talent level of the players.

And on that point, I'm unaware of any concerns that Schlenk has at wing, whereas he has outright said, weeks prior to either signing, he would be inclined to obtain a big because he perceived the roster was "light" on that side of things (ostensibly, b/c he has two 2-ways that are both guards).

Therefore, I view TLC as Hunter/Huerter insurance. He has a chance to make the roster, but only if one of those is going to end up missing significant time.

It's Okafor's to lose, failing that.

But lose it, of course, he very well could... particularly if, as suggested in the post above, some better big becomes available at midnight before the season starts.

I don't think I'm wrong on any of that. Am I?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sturt said:

Listen to the Locked On podcast maybe every couple of months, and happened to do that yesterday.

Hearing blogger Glenn Willis and host Brad Rowland speak so conclusively that TLC will be the 15th man, having an appreciable leg up on Okafor, made me do the old Tim the Tool Man Taylor "huh?" Or come to think of it, even better, made me do the old Arnold Jackson... 

what-you-talkin-bout-willis-gif-8.gif&eh

My opinion of the two players is fairly even, all things considered.

And this or any time that's the case, from where I sit, the final decision is so much more about what the GM perceives to be the most glaring need, not the talent level of the players.

And on that point, I'm unaware of any concerns that Schlenk has at wing, whereas he has outright said, weeks prior to either signing, he would be inclined to obtain a big because he perceived the roster was "light" on that side of things (ostensibly, b/c he has two 2-ways that are both guards).

Therefore, I view TLC as Hunter/Huerter insurance. He has a chance to make the roster, but only if one of those is going to end up missing significant time.

It's Okafor's to lose, failing that.

But lose it, of course, he very well could... particularly if, as suggested in the post above, some better big becomes available at midnight before the season starts.

I don't think I'm wrong on any of that. Am I?

If Okafor looks completely lost during the preseason, and TLC is on fire from 3 in the preseason, I could see the scenario that TLC makes the team. But I tend to agree with you. With Capela's achilles injury, and the lack of a 3rd center on the team while OO is out, I think it's Okafor's job to lose for that 15th spot, unless they try to bring in another big during camp to compete for that spot.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

As down as I was on signing Okafor the day it happened, I have to say, I've become enamored with the imagery of the single most beneficial asset he may bring to the roster, and that is rooted in my memory of some hack-a-Big2C (...yes, I know, I'm working too hard ... but it goes so perfectly along side Big2O, right?) that would occasionally occur late in games... what I mean is, theoretically, with Okafor as an option, McM can roll out some really nice offense/defense insto-change-o b/t him and Big2C in the last quarter. Like the idea that your 15th man does actually provide something fairly unique like that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sturt said:

As down as I was on signing Okafor the day it happened, I have to say, I've become enamored with the imagery of the single most beneficial asset he may bring to the roster, and that is rooted in my memory of some hack-a-Big2C (...yes, I know, I'm working too hard ... but it goes so perfectly along side Big2O, right?) that would occasionally occur late in games... what I mean is, theoretically, with Okafor as an option, McM can roll out some really nice offense/defense insto-change-o b/t him and Big2C in the last quarter. Like the idea that your 15th man does actually provide something fairly unique like that.

That is really and truly and great perspective. Takes away the hack-a-Ben/Capela. 

Great point.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

So, we're at the 23rd hour, practically literally.

Who will it be?

TLC? Hope not, nothing against the kid, but signing him implies there's reason for concern behind closed doors that someone's not as healthy as we'd like to think.

Some interesting names have dropped, as anticipated, but most of which were FAs who, if Schlenk were that enamored with any of them, he already took a pass on.

San Antonio remains as the most curious team yet to make their final cut. Some speculation has it that they're entertaining trade offers on Thad Young--which potentially could make it unnecessary to cut anyone at all. And while Young coming home to ATL after all these years would be pretty cool, and he would seem to be an exceptional addition, truth is he makes too much money, so Schlenk's almost certainly not in those conversations.

Having said that, and again given that Schlenk already took a pass on most of the FAs available, logic suggests whoever is on Schlenk's radar almost certainly is a big who, as I write this, isn't yet available, ie someone who Schlenk is waiting on and for whom he likely will have some competition. Deduction points to Aminu, who I've tagged for awhile now, or if not, to Drew Eubanks.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, sturt said:

So, we're at the 23rd hour, practically literally.

Who will it be?

TLC? Hope not, nothing against the kid, but signing him implies there's reason for concern behind closed doors that someone's not as healthy as we'd like to think.

Yikes.

Double negative alert... Schlenk practically never doesn't do what he telegraphs he's going to do. Most reasonable conclusion is that Dre's knee apparently continues to swell after games.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, TheBigETrain said:

Depth chart

1. Young, Wright, Williams, Cooper

2. Bogdanovic, Huerter, TLC, Mays

3. Hunter, Reddish, Hill

4. Collins, Gallinari, Johnson

5. Capela, Dieng, Okongwu

Cooper, Mays and Johnson should play in College Park for the most part, of course, but only if injuries don't open up some minutes for them in SFA.

And Solo almost has to be your 5th big... worse, he's your 4th if Gallo's out.

TLC fits behind Reddish... and if Dre's knee is still a problem, that makes him your 4th wing.

• Like 2

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, sturt said:

Yikes.

Double negative alert... Schlenk practically never doesn't do what he telegraphs he's going to do. Most reasonable conclusion is that Dre's knee apparently continues to swell after games.

This doesn't hurt my head too much.  You are likely right that he wants a wing but we are very close to opening night and most of the dominoes have fallen now in terms of cuts.  I would guess TS is pretty confident that there is no one out there who really excites him.

7 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

As of now TLC is still on the roster with non-guaranteed contract (similar to the Solomon Hill contract from last year was the initial report, so I'm guessing a Jan 2020 fully guaranteed date if not waived before).

Reposting just in case some more people need to see this.

I too believe he has to earn his spot like Solo & Travis will keep his eyes wide open before the deadline to make sure we have exactly what we need before the new year/break.

• Thanks 2

• Moderators
16 hours ago, sturt said:

So, I think I hear you saying, you're content with Dre continuing to be an injury concern.

But that cannot be true, can it?

LMAO.  I have not idea where you came up with this.  What is the next question for me, when did you stop beating your wife?*

I just told you that our GM announced that he had settled on our opening night roster the day before the NBA season officially opens and I'm ok with him having settled on TLC for that opening night spot rather than keeping the door open that TLC might be cut before opening night so that we could sign Aminu or something.  

What didn't hurt my head was TS effectively signaling that he isn't going to consider swapping TLC out for any of these recently cut players (or any players who foreseeably will be cut) before opening night (3 days later for Atlanta).  TLC doesn't excite me at all but if TS thinks he is a better option for our roster than any of these other players, Travis has earned my trust.

All of that has exactly nothing to do with Hunter being an injury concern.  I'm not content with any of our players being a continuing injury concern.  What I want or what TS wants for Dre's health is irrelevant.  What is relevant for roster construction is his actual health.  So it doesn't hurt my head if TS signals he is filling the 15th spot with TLC on an unguaranteed contract if Hunter is healthy and it actually makes even more sense if Dre is an injury concern so TS making the right moves to give us depth wouldn't hurt my head either.

The bottomline is that the downside to this announcement is closing the door on signing available alternative players and as I said:

I would guess TS is pretty confident that there is no one out there who really excites him.

• Thanks 2