• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

On this date in Hawks history

sturt

• Moderators

I think most people here know I'm not the biggest fan of Pistol's (I guess more accurate is to say that I think he is grossly overrated by things like being on the first Top 50 list and not so much a personal dislike) but I will say that I would love to see what his career would look like had he come up with today's training and with a 3pt line.  He was exceptional for his era in a number of different ways and a 3pt option would almost certainly have been a huge boost to his offensive efficiency.

• Like 2

I was in high school when Pistol Pete Maravich was in college.  I had a subscription to Sports Illustrated magazine (weekly) and they had lots of articles about him.  He was fascinating to read about.  Got to see him on TV during his college days and was excited to watch him when he joined the pros.  

He and Connie Hawkins were my favorite players back then. 

(Google "Connie Hawkins" for those who want to see the original Dr. J.  and Dominque Wilkins)

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

I had been married 10 years and had 3 children.

:smug:

3 hours ago, hazer said:

I was 2 weeks old 👶

Okay, I can't resist... I'd just bought my first one of these... well, no, actually, my mom had just bought it for me... pre-internet, we had these things called sports magazines and annual yearbooks... ordinarily, I would spend forever reading in front of these things we called magazine racks, because I hadn't yet joined the ranks of the employed 🙂....

2021-10-18_13-05-28.png

and had begun collecting basketball cards when I happened to pick this one player as my fav, and naturally adopted his team as my fav as well.

s-l300a.jpg

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, AHF said:

He was exceptional for his era in a number of different ways

Yep.

Magic would come along in a few years, and would say none of his ball-handling and passing was original with him. Don't recall he specified Pistol, but I'm not sure who else he may have been referring to.

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, sturt said:

Yep.

Magic would come along in a few years, and would say none of his ball-handling and passing was original with him. Don't recall he specified Pistol, but I'm not sure who else he may have been referring to.

I remember Magic saying that Pistol Pete was the greatest showman of all time. 

I think People forget that Pete could score.   We see his wizardry with the ball but his scoring was brilliant.   Especially in College.   He averaged over 40 a game. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Diesel said:

I remember Magic saying that Pistol Pete was the greatest showman of all time. 

I think People forget that Pete could score.   We see his wizardry with the ball but his scoring was brilliant.   Especially in College.   He averaged over 40 a game. 

Definition of a volume scorer.  Some similarities to Iverson in that regard.  But I feel like people remember the scoring if they know anything about him.