• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks sign Kevin Huerter to a 4 year, $65 Million contract extension

ATLHawks3

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, swanlee said:

Well it can always be second guessed, but right now given what we know it is definitely the correct decisions to lock down our young core and see how they can work together in the future. Regardless of how the end results turn out it was the correct decision to do that.

It's clearly our best shot. We aren't signing Kawhi or equivelent in free agency, either we win with our core or we trade for another mega star, and these reasonable extensions of young talented players help us either way. 

30 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

To be clear they were a much different style of play and roster.  My comparison is a young team that unexpectedly made the conference finals and stayed competitive but never reached that level again. 
Perhaps there is another thread for a discussion on if our core is complete and we are set as contenders for the next 5 years.  I only see one superstar, Trae, and the history suggests you don't win titles with one superstar.  I simply don't think we're done.  We need one more major move unless we become a rare team that wins a title with one star.   

Or, hear me out, you go the OKC route,  trade away one of your main pieces and that piece becomes a MVP and you're stuck losing in conference finals and you never make it back to the finals.

I'm not saying don't trade anyone, I'm saying see what this team can do for at least a couple of seasons and then make your decision.  Now if Giannis becomes available, this season then all bets are off.

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

To be clear they were a much different style of play and roster.  My comparison is a young team that unexpectedly made the conference finals and stayed competitive but never reached that level again. 
Perhaps there is another thread for a discussion on if our core is complete and we are set as contenders for the next 5 years.  I only see one superstar, Trae, and the history suggests you don't win titles with one superstar.  I simply don't think we're done.  We need one more major move unless we become a rare team that wins a title with one star.   

I think we re going to grow our own superstars instead of getting someone elses. Collins has a good shot to breakthrough, Capela is still pretty young and is playing great, Cooper and Jalen might be it as well Cam and Hunter have a shot if they can stay healthy.

Our current roster has the potential to spring some legit long term superstars, we don't need to buy them off anyone else

• Thanks 2

• Moderators

NBA has changed a bit though.   Bucks / Suns just faced off with one superstar each.  And that's if you consider Booker a superstar.

The bankable stars are aging.   The new stars are currently spread out around the league.   Sure they could team up but one thing about them is that a lot of them are ball dominant players that aren't going to play that great together. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Or here me out. You go the OKC route  trade away one of your main peices and that piece becomes a MVP and you're stuck losing and you never make it back to the finals.

I'm not saying don't trade anyone, I'm saying see what this team can do for a t least a couple of seasons and then make your decision.  Now if Giannis becomes available this season then all bets are off.

This^

Who are the potential bonafide Superstars we can consolidate our depth for?

6 minutes ago, swanlee said:

I think we re going to grow our own superstars instead of getting someone elses.

I wouldn't mind that at all.

• Like 1

I believe in every move we made this off-season.  So, my take isn’t criticism, I would describe it as looking ahead.  With this Huerter move, which is an awesome signing, it provokes some thought and observations.

1. The core is locked for the first time in over a decade.  So, how does it stack up with teams of the past?  Are we really set?

2. We only have one future HOF caliber guy established, Trae.  Right now I don’t expect anyone else in our new core to reach that level.  If anyone believes differently, I disagree, but it doesn’t change my love for this team.  I’ve never been more hyped for a Hawk’s season.

3. We have a big window.  If no one is available now, we can wait for the right moment.  Let’s be patient, and opportunistic.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

NBA has changed a bit though.   Bucks / Suns just faced off with one superstar each.  And that's if you consider Booker a superstar.

The bankable stars are aging.   The new stars are currently spread out around the league.   Sure they could team up but one thing about them is that a lot of them are ball dominant players that aren't going to play that great together. 

I agree that the star landscape is changing.  The Lebron banana boat guys and their era is ending.  

I disagree with your take on Bucks and Suns.  The Suns had two MVP candidates and future HOF guys.  The Bucks have perhaps the best player in the league plus two other guys who are all stars and olympians.  If they win another title all three could be headed for the HOF.  Trae is awesome, but not as good as Giannis, and the Bucks 2nd and 3rd best players are proven stars.  Jrue and Middleton took over the series after Giannis went out.  

15 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

uuummm....NO.  Neither were MVP candidates and Paul is the only sure fire HOFamer.  

Chris Paul got top 3 votes last year in the official voting listed on NBA.com.  Booker did not get top 3 votes, but got listed as a potential candidate at certain points throughout the year when Phoenix had the top record.  He was never a top finalist, but his name came up in the conversation.  

The fact remains.  Booker is way ahead of anyone on our team not named Trae.  If he isn't on track for HOF, which of our guys is even in the ball park?  

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Chris Paul got top 3 votes last year in the official voting listed on NBA.com.  Booker did not get top 3 votes, but got listed as a potential candidate at certain points throughout the year when Phoenix had the top record.  He was never a top finalist, but his name came up in the conversation.  

The fact remains.  Booker is way ahead of anyone on our team not named Trae.  If he isn't on track for HOF, which of our guys is even in the ball park?  

I love Booker.   I think of Booker and Trae's impact as pretty equal.  Trae may actually have more of an impact given his passing.  

Yeah Paul was pretty amazing and Middleton was great for the Bucks.   But those weren't guys you considered to be stars coming together to title chase like Bron/Ray/Bosh.   

I just look at it as if Giannis + Jrue/Middleton/Lopez is a contender and Booker plus CP40/Bridges/Ayton is a contender then Trae + Bogi/Hunter/JC/Capela could be a contender.   Especially with good young depth.  

But we'll see.  I definitely could be overestimating our guys.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

I believe in every move we made this off-season.  So, my take isn’t criticism, I would describe it as looking ahead.  With this Huerter move, which is an awesome signing, it provokes some thought and observations.

1. The core is locked for the first time in over a decade.  So, how does it stack up with teams of the past?  Are we really set?

2. We only have one future HOF caliber guy established, Trae.  Right now I don’t expect anyone else in our new core to reach that level.  If anyone believes differently, I disagree, but it doesn’t change my love for this team.  I’ve never been more hyped for a Hawk’s season.

3. We have a big window.  If no one is available now, we can wait for the right moment.  Let’s be patient, and opportunistic.  

I'll co-sign this.

Ya'll know I'm always rubbing my hands together and my motto - everything is negotiable.  So, it's strange for me to sit here and not be browsing the trade market.  Especially with so much player currency in our pocket.  I'm so content with this team right now and I love this signing.  Huerter has gone from my deal sweetener to nigh untouchable on my list.  He's my favorite Hawk.

Despite all the feels though, I am keeping a cautious eye towards the future.  While I do believe that this core can remain competitive for years to come, I don't have confidence that we can maintain that upper-level consistency without a true 1B.  A guy you look at and know that if Trae weren't on the floor, this player could put the team on his back.

...man, what I would give for prime JJ or Smitty.

• Like 1