• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Mavericks at Hawks -- The Season Opener!

lethalweapon3

1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

You have no idea how happy this makes me -- I had no idea this site existed!!

Same here that’s cool. I mean I remember reading which officials would be in tap for games but never what uniforms they wore. Nice!

• Like 2

• Moderators

We might still have the Pope on our side, but Dallas still has a God in their corner.

Luka-Doncic-Mavs-God-Shammgod.jpg

(sorry, Luka, not you.)

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/god-shammgod-explains-coach-luka-doncic-dallas-mavs-nba

I'm sure if I dug deep enough in the storage closet I'd find an old dusty mixtape of one of the O.G. ankle-snatchers. Shammgod was retained on J-Kidd's bench and promoted from his duties under Carlisle as Dallas' ball-handling coach, which is a thing. He's been with the Mavs since 2016, originally hired, I can only assume maybe to salvage Deron Williams.

According to his Wiki page, a few hundred bucks would have deprived us of an awesome full name.

Shammgod's birth name is God Shammgod. Often teased for his highly unusual name during childhood, he went by Shammgod Wells (using his mother's maiden name) throughout high school. When he enrolled at Providence, he was informed that he would have to register under his legal name. Since it would have cost $600 to change his legal name to Shammgod Wells, Shammgod stopped using the alias.

~lw3

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, LongTimeFan said:

It was fun going to a lot of the Olympic sporting events, with my wife and young sons, in 1996.  My Uncle was a Secret Service agent who was called in to assist with security, so my family got some behind-the-scenes access that was fun.  He was also on duty, and very nearby, when the bomb went off in the park.  He was unharmed, but said it was true chaos.

I was also a very successful fundraising professional (Children's Healthcare Hospital, Reinhardt University, Boys & Girls Clubs of Atlanta) in the Atlanta philanthropic community, and knew most of the "players" who were working on the Games, and the donors who were funding the effort.  It was exciting to again be "behind the scenes" as plans were being made and deals were being brokered. 
(P.S.  I was a friend of the owner of Coca-Cola Bottling, and knew the leaders of Coke as well.  They honestly thought "New Coke" was a brilliant idea.  They NEVER expected the reaction.  Some thought it was a ploy to generate some renewed goodwill for the product that was slipping behind Pepsi. It wasn't.  Just didn't work)  

And finally, I was a part-owner of Frankie's Sports Bar and Restaurant  in the Prado shopping center.  We opened it in 1991, just as the Braves took off, and we became the hottest place to be for years.  It was absolutely AMAZING during the Olympics, with every athlete, movie star, politician, and millionaire you can imagine begging us for entry into our always crowded venue.  

I got to make spaghetti one late night, after we closed for the evening, with Tommy Lasorda, Mike Fratello, and Johnny Bench.  Had another dinner with Dan Marino and Micky Mantle one night.  So much fun!!!

I honestly have not been this excited about Atlanta sports since those heady days.  I KNOW our Hawks are gonna' light it up this year.  Only this time... I'll have to observe it all from Chicago.  

Save me a seat for a home game during the NBA Finals!!!

P.P.S.  Lethal ... I am also a writer. You have my utmost respect and admiration.

P.P.P.S. (How many of these do we get?!)  I've been on this site, and the versions before it, for almost 20 years.  This is the first time I've done any "name dropping."  I hope I haven't offended anyone by possibly drawing attention away from Lethal's excellent write-up.  He just reminded me of all those fantastic times back in the day.  Hope everyone understands my intentions.  Thanks. . 

This is great stuff!

No offense, I'm jealous though.

6 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

You have no idea how happy this makes me -- I had no idea this site existed!!

I learned something new today. Thanks @lethalweapon3

4 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

We might still have the Pope on our side, but Dallas still has a God in their corner.

Luka-Doncic-Mavs-God-Shammgod.jpg

Oh dear.....all over my new curved monitor.

PowerlessForcefulBrownbutterfly-size_res

giphy.gif

• Haha 3