• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

UPDATE: So Yes, Nique IS in the top 75 players of all time

NBASupes

While I am not the highest on Nique, it's hard to say he doesn't deserve to be mentioned on the list. I felt he probably deserved the top 50 over guys like Dave Debushsure and guys like that. Nique seems like he's being left off the list again and it seems so unfair. 

What do you think?

• Sad 2

The last 25 hasn't come out yet, but if he doesn't get in he'll be the biggest snub off the list. It's more than disrespectful, if the guy has a statue outside our stadium do these voters think we're clowns for the respect we have for Nique? He means too much to the franchise for the rest of the NBA to pretend he's not an all-time great. For any critique you could make he's still #16 in points scored all-time. That alone should be enough.

• Like 2

There is no way they leave him off the list again.

Some NBA circles have already admitted it was one of their biggest sins from the past.

This debate from a few years ago put Nique as unanimous in a hypothetical "next 10".

Isiah even argued that Nique would have been ahead of Pippen on his list.

Fast forward to like 15:45 for the debate, and then 21:25 for when they start voting on unanimous names for the next "10".

Keep in mind, they weren't even considering taking names off the 50 greatest list in this debate. Just adding 10 more.

The new NBA 75 is replacing some names from the original list and expanding to 75. There is no way they add more than 25 new names and Nique not be one of them.

• Like 2

This article makes it hard to believe Wilkins is left off again. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/will-there-be-a-dominique-wilkins-level-snub-left-off-the-nb-as-list-of-75-greatest-players-135131028.html

Atlanta Hawks legend Dominique Wilkins was the only nine-time All-Star, the only six-time All-NBA selection and one of only two three-time top-five MVP candidates not to be named one of the league’s 50 Greatest Players. He is also the most prolific scorer absent from the list, still ranking 14th in history.

Somebody had to be the biggest snub from the 1996 list, and Wilkins was that guy. He should absolutely be on the NBA's list of 75 Greatest Players next week. But who will be the biggest snub this time around?

Wilkins was eighth on the all-time scoring list when the league celebrated its 50th anniversary, ahead of Michael Jordan. For a full decade, Wilkins averaged a 28-7-3 on better than 46% shooting from the field. There is no analytics case against him. A quarter-century after the NBA revealed its 50 Greatest Players, Wilkins still ranks top 50 in career Player Efficiency Rating, Win Shares and Value Over Replacement Player.

As Wilkins once said, "Some of the players that were voted top 50 could not even hold my jock," and his peers agreed. Bird and Magic Johnson joined a chorus publicly criticizing Wilkins' omission. Doc Rivers once added, "The difference between James Worthy and Dominique is that James had Magic Johnson and Dominique had me," and Worthy was not among the most controversial top-50 choices. Lenny Wilkens and Nate Thurmond never made an All-NBA team. Four others only made one. Wilkins was one of the four best forwards six times in an era when Larry Bird, Karl Malone and Charles Barkley were plying the same trade.

Danny Ainge counted Wilkins among his 30 greatest players, citing his performance against the four-time defending Eastern Conference champion Boston Celtics in the second round of the 1988 playoffs. Wilkins scored 47 points opposite Bird's 34 during a 118-116 Game 7 loss in one of the greatest duels in history.

The most obvious modern-day comparison to Wilkins is Carmelo Anthony, the NBA's 10th-leading scorer. He has won a single playoff series since his Denver Nuggets reached the 2009 Western Conference finals, and he missed the playoffs in his final four seasons on the New York Knicks. But Anthony — a 10-time All-Star, six-time All-NBA selection and one-time scoring champion — should be a lock for the NBA's top 75.

USA Today published ballots from 15 panelists on Friday, and Anthony appeared on 10 of them. A two-thirds majority should be plenty to get Anthony into the top 75. Wilkins made all but one of the 15 ballots.

This is the list of 15 Ballots where they ranked the top 75 players.

Nique is on every single one of them.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/sports/nba/2021/10/08/nba-greatest-75-michael-jordan-panalists-vote/5879705001/

He ranges from #35 to #71, finishing in the top 50 on 10 of the 15 lists (3 times in the 30's range, 7 times in the 40's range). Top 60 in 14 of 15 ballots.

I mean, there is a wide consensus when it comes to Nique.

I hate that we are waiting on the last day to see if they have him on the official list, but I am confident they do the right thing this time around.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dnice said:

Probably a reach, but maybe he's on the 3rd 25 going into the game tonight, he may be on site.

Honestly, that would be so dope if they found a way to announce him specifically at our home arena, next to his statue.

8 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Speaking of premature, hypothetically, what if they put You know who on the list tonight as well? That would be disgusting to hear lol

That'd be so cute and I'm not even sure the NBA media would really even object to it.  Shaq's NBA resume/accomplishments, when he got selected, dwarfs ..... the other guy's and even his selection was panned.

24 minutes ago, kg01 said:

That'd be so cute and I'm not even sure the NBA media would really even object to it.  Shaq's NBA resume/accomplishments, when he got selected, dwarfs ..... the other guy's and even his selection was panned.

Exactly. There is precedent for them to "Project" greatness.

And they already have him as the pre season MVP favorite for the 2nd year in a row. So they've shown their hand as far as what they think of him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Exactly. There is precedent for them to "Project" greatness.

And they already have him as the pre season MVP favorite for the 2nd year in a row. So they've shown their hand as far as what they think of him.

Yeah.  And, don't get me wrong, I got no problem with projecting and all that.  I take issue when people use the 'projection' in place of the reality when they rate guys.  Like how people project certain guards are gonna be great and therefore, today, are rated higher than Trae.

Like, you're rating what you think will happen in a few years over what you see happening now.  I'm sure Trae lost all-star votes based on this kind of "logic".  How does that work?

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Yeah.  And, don't get me wrong, I got no problem with projecting and all that.  I take issue when people use the 'projection' in place of the reality when they rate guys.  Like how people project certain guards are gonna be great and therefore, today, are rated higher than Trae.

Like, you're rating what you think will happen in a few years over what you see happening now.  I'm sure Trae lost all-star votes based on this kind of "logic".  How does that work?

If you are going to "project" then this is probably the kid to do it on given that he has two 1st team All-NBA selections, a top 4 and top 6 MVP vote, and averages of 33.5 points (on a healthy 58.2% TS%), 8.8 rebounds and 9.5 assists over 13 playoff games.  He who isn't being named in this thread is probably the right guy to go with if you are going to project like that.  However, the simple approach for me is to not do any projection and to only consider a player's career to date so that if something ended his career tomorrow this would be his HOF case in its entirety.  And using that methodology, no young players would be considered and the only active players who would be on the list would be ones whose resumes are already good enough to make the cut ala LeBron James.

• Like 3

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

I was thinking that I would bet a lot of money that he won’t be the MVP.  Mainly because they give MVP to someone on a top 5 team.  The Mavs look like a bubble playoff team again.  

If you can get even odds, it is also usually better to bet on the field than on a single favorite.