• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2021-2022 Post/In- Between Game Thread: Thoughts, Updates, Tidbits etc.

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators
17 hours ago, NBASupes said:

It's not pace, it's style of game. Back in the 80s, the defense didn't really have to cover much ground. That's why you had mammoths playing at the 5. If you just covered your space, you was fine. Nowadays, you gotta guard space, movement is more important than ever, you put a lot of miles on your body in terms of movement. It's a lot more difficult than 80s ball or 90s ball. 

Going up and down is not hard for a professional. It's a lot of movements in a condense area that's difficult. 

Thanks.   This is a great description.   

• Like 3

• Premium Member

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32440987/phoenix-suns-robert-sarver-allegations-racism-misogyny

Sarver sounds like an old school piece of shit.  Some fairly juicy stuff in there but him backseat coaching is my favorite:

"He was asking [players] to set up a pick-and-roll in the middle of the paint. How is that even possible with three seconds and no spacing?"

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32440987/phoenix-suns-robert-sarver-allegations-racism-misogyny

Sarver sounds like an old school piece of shit.  Some fairly juicy stuff in there but him backseat coaching is my favorite:

"He was asking [players] to set up a pick-and-roll in the middle of the paint. How is that even possible with three seconds and no spacing?"

Big takeaway for me is Earl Watson's coaching career basically got torpedoed because he stood up to Sarver's racial insensitivity.  Certainly explains why he was only there a short time.  Also explains why he never got another chance.  Sarver probably vetoed him behind the scenes.  A shame.

@Spud2nique or @marco102 I suspect the NBARadio afternoon show will be really juicy as Eddie Johnson has to explain this mess.  He'll probably take a day off.  If he does that, he's a coward.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Big takeaway for me is Earl Watson's coaching career basically got torpedoed because he stood up to Sarver's racial insensitivity.  Certainly explains why he was only there a short time.  Also explains why he never got another chance.  Sarver probably vetoed him behind the scenes.  A shame.

Definitely a shame if that is why he hasn't gotten another chance.  I sure as **** wouldn't be taking advice from Sarver if I was an owner.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

Reading that article reminds me of this show I'm watching right now called "The Morning Show" where a bunch of inappropriate behavior goes unchecked for 15 years, which is just a show written based on real events in companies across the country for years.  The me too movement and BLM helped weed out a lot of the most egregious behavior, but the stuff that is in that article still happens far too often.  Unfortunately, having rights when it comes to discrimination laws and employment laws is often only enforceable if you have the time, energy, and money to hold employers accountable.  Even then, getting a check is better than nothing, but it doesn't change the fact your life can be uprooted and transformed because of a shitty employer who just pays out over and over. 

Public shaming seems to be a much better motivator for people to do the right thing rather than any legal settlements or the actual letter of the law.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Eddie always complains about Justin getting days off? :laugh1:

Still haven’t read the Sarver piece. Was it just Earl or was it a Cosby 200 situation?

Call it a Sarver-70.  Said they spoke to 70 folk that confirm stuff.  Watson was one who was quoted.

James Jones supported Sarver (duh) and said he witnessed Watson saying inappropriate stuff.  Well, ok, now tell us about the other 70 people, James.  Are they all lying?

• Sad 1

• Premium Member

Nate's offense is terrible. It's honestly hard to watch. Not a knock on Nate, but the Hawks look totally out of sync on both ends right now. I hope it's just growing pains early in the season and things look better once everyone adjusts. Either they adjust or go back to what they were doing late last season because this ain't gonna get it done.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

We won’t crack 💯 at home. Dang.

With the Championship Braves in the house.

11 minutes ago, hawkman said:

Nate's offense is terrible. It's honestly hard to watch. Not a knock on Nate, but the Hawks look totally out of sync on both ends right now. I hope it's just growing pains early in the season and things look better once everyone adjusts. Either they adjust or go back to what they were doing late last season because this ain't gonna get it done.

I've been saying.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

@kg01 I’m weirded out. What the heck were the chances I thought about Earl, I seriously hadn’t even thought of the dude for 5+ years. 

ESPee :sarcastic: I said pee. :laugh1:

You're a wizard.  Quick, think of lotto numbers.  we can buy a private isle with the winnings.  Call it Squawk-ville Cul de Sac.  😁

• Haha 2