• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Cavaliers

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Trae on his technical:

“I think the refs are trying to learn as much as we are with these calls and stuff. It’s frustrating whenever it’s on one end and it’s not on the other, but I think we’re all learning and we’re all trying to get better, and when a ref’s mean-mugging me and trying to look at me straight in the eye, I’m going to look at him back. I didn’t say nothing to him. He just gave me a tech. He was just looking at me. I asked him why is it personal, and he gave me a tech. So I don’t know. I’ll probably get that money back. Out of all my techs I’ve gotten, that’s probably one I’ll get back.”

Anyone know which ref it was?  Would love to get a name so I can mentally prepare when that guy officiates our games.

• Moderators

Well I didn't see the game live so i already knew the outcome when i watched.  That may influence my take but  honestly i didn't feel like we played that badly.   Just a lot of shots didn't go in.   Our defense was ok.   The Cavs weren't that impressive at all.  (I do like Mobley and Allen though).   

Not sure how the Cavs get a timeout when Hunter has 2 hands on the ball.  That was a critical possession and the call seemed pretty fishy.    Oh well.  Let's beat the Pistons

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, FL_BRYANT said:

The HAWKS struggle against size and physicality Period. They don't have one player over 6 ft 10. This causes a problem against teams with size. Capela especially has struggled against size. We saw it in the playoffs.  Name me one Hawk other than Hill that is physical. Yes,Cleveland a mediocre team had three seven footers but even if we won it shows how teams attack the Hawks. As far as Miami goes they may be small but they are physical with Bam,Butler and now Tucker backed up with two 7 fters. You can be the best defensive team in the league and still struggle against size. I'm not trying to get into a fight about this I'm a Hawk fan.I'm just stating what I see. The HAWKS will beat most teams it's the best teams I'm concerned about like the bucks that has size that we will have to beat to win it all. Just saying...

We don't get into fights here, most of the times,  we have debates. The Hawks struggled with Cleveland when they didn't have this much size last year. Some teams have your number. Like Sacremento beat the 70+ win GS team a couple of times I believe.

If you want to say the Hawks struggle with size then back it up with the correct facts.

Miami isn't bigger than the Hawks and last year weren't as physical as the Hawks. That's why the Hawks beat them in most of the match ups last year. If you think PJ Tucker and Kyle Lowery will change that then there is not much for me to say there. I think Hunter, especially, and Reddish are more physical than those two. Capela is more physical than Bam and bigger. Is Jimmy more physical than Hunter? Where is all of this size and physicality coming from with Miami that is going to bother the Hawks that the Hawks won't be able to throw back at Miami. The thing with Miami is their great defensive schemes. 

Philly out of all the contenders, the Hawks have played Philly the toughest throughout the years. The Hawks are .500 against them in the regular season since Trae was drafted. Philly struggles to defend small penetrating guards like Trae.

The Bucks. Their size and length does effect the Hawks like any other team they play. Again, the reason the Hawks lost the series, was due to poor perimeter defense which Hunter and Reddish could solve if they remain healthy.

Not saying your point isn't accurate to a degree, most teams struggle with big physical teams, but when you lumped Miami in there it set off my Miami hate. 

4 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

Trae should be ashamed of his defense on Rubio... Who isnt even known for his scoring, but Trae got lit up.

He is never going to be all defense, but you have to do better against a journeyman like Rubio.

His offense was even worse. I was kinda mad at Nate for taking out Wright who was doing a decent job

• Premium Member

We let the refs rattle us imo and we need to reset our mentality around that.  Nate did a great job last year leading the team and changing their mindset but after making the ECF, there is bound to be a little entitlement creeping into our mindsets with regards to officiating.  I personally do think the refs are making up for lost time on Trae (and the same for Harden if anyone watched that Nets game), but it will likely be shortlived and Travis will deal with it behind the scenes.  

Other than that, I am not too worried.  For whatever reason, Cleveland plays us well and their team is not as bad as past years.  If we don't put the Pistons away in 3 quarters tonight, I will start to get a little concerned.  

• Thanks 1

Cleveland  had Drummond last year.Teams have your number for a reason, not  because they  come from Cleveland. Capela has one inch on Bam and weights appx fifteen lbs less. I would say  Bam is bigger. Hunter and Reddish being called physical is laughable especially Reddish. I have no problem with their game but they are not physical, both are light in the pants. Bam,Butler, Tucker,and Lowery are all considered physical ball players for their position and they do have two 7fters they can use in limited minutes. Teams try to bully the HAWKS. The Freak,Lopez and Jrue will  always give the HAWKS trouble while the Knicks tried to flat punk the HAWKS.   I love the Hawks but that doesn't call for me to have a blind eye to their weaknesses. I've  watched basketball too long for that. The HAWKS are a finesse, athletic, high BBIQ  team. Being physical is a strategy  teams have always used against more athletic teams. You can Hate the Heat all you want but they are going to try to muscle the HAWKS scheme or no scheme. 

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

Trae should be ashamed of his defense on Rubio... Who isnt even known for his scoring, but Trae got lit up.

He is never going to be all defense, but you have to do better against a journeyman like Rubio.

TBF the book on Rubio is to leave him open on threes where he shoots a career 32%. He knocked them down that game, and on the other side the Hawks couldn't buy a three pointer the entire game. It happens. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atlantaholic said:

TBF the book on Rubio is to leave him open on threes where he shoots a career 32%. He knocked them down that game, and on the other side the Hawks couldn't buy a three pointer the entire game. It happens. 

Road games are tough in the NBA. It might good honestly, you learn more from a loss. 

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Road games are tough in the NBA. It might good honestly, you learn more from a loss. 

Schlenk mentioned it in the telecast interview and it's true. Even though they won big against Dallas, they didn't play particularily well offensively, they just made a bunch of shots. A lot of new faces, a lot of old players in new roles in different lineups, offseason cobwebs. A game like Cleveland and this slow start in Detroit forces the team to find their ball movement again. Once we start moving the ball like we were doing late last season we are gonna be a juggernaut barring a wave of injuries like last season. 

• Like 1