• Raised $390 of $700 target

The 2022 preseason has begun to begin

sturt

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

🤔 who do you wanna keep?

Nationals

LHP Luis Avilán, SS Jordy Mercer, OF Gerardo Parra, 1B Ryan Zimmerman

After moving Max Scherzer, Trea Turner, Brad Hand, Daniel Hudson, Josh Harrison and Yan Gomes prior to the Trade Deadline, the Nats could part ways with most or all of these veterans this offseason.

Keep?

Invite them all as non-roster invitees except for the Franchise Icon, who, like your own franchise icon, should expect to mainly get whatever he asks (within reason, of course) just because he's who he is.

But don't shut the door on the plausible return of Max. There's a way that that could work out to both sides' benefit. No kidding, some of us... and I do say "us"... see a lot of Nolan Ryan in Max... ie, in terms of his stamina and discipline and health routines, he's a unicorn who could be pitching productively into his 40s.

Similar but different, there's some chance that Josh Harrison also gets an offer from Rizzo.

Truly, our 2022 season probably won't be that competitive, but if it is, it will be because

(a) Stras came back healthy and putting up 2019 Stras numbers

(b) Corbin makes the 3.82 ERA he posted in the last month of 2022 (and June for that matter) the norm

(c) One or both of MLB top-100 prospects Cade Cavalli and Josiah Gray emerge as legitimate middle of the order SPs

(d) Rizzo signed Freddie Freeman to be our full-time 3B. giphy.gif

30 minutes ago, sturt said:

Keep?

Invite them all as non-roster invitees except for the Franchise Icon, who, like your own franchise icon, should expect to mainly get whatever he asks (within reason, of course) just because he's who he is.

But don't shut the door on the plausible return of Max. There's a way that that could work out to both sides' benefit. No kidding, some of us... and I do say "us"... see a lot of Nolan Ryan in Max... ie, in terms of his stamina and discipline and health routines, he's a unicorn who could be pitching productively into his 40s.

Similar but different, there's some chance that Josh Harrison also gets an offer from Rizzo.

Truly, our 2022 season probably won't be that competitive, but if it is, it will be because

(a) Stras came back healthy and putting up 2019 Stras numbers

(b) Corbin makes the 3.82 ERA he posted in the last month of 2022 (and June for that matter) the norm

(c) One or both of MLB top-100 prospects Cade Cavalli and Josiah Gray emerge as legitimate middle of the order SPs

(d) Rizzo signed Freddie Freeman to be our full-time 3B. giphy.gif

Get Rendon back. I don’t understand how and why Turner and Max were fine just like that. To me that signifies more of a rebuild than a retool. 

Regarding Mad Max though, much respect. I like the dude a lot. Watching him pitcher against the Braves  was fun mainly because he wasn’t himself. Does he come back strong after the off-season or is he declining and in a year will be a pitching machine for batters. Hall of famer and one of the scariest pitchers that we’ve seen in the modern era.

One of those guys I HAD loved to see in a Braves uni a few years back.

Seriously what happened to Rendon? When a player leaves the NL I pay less attention but when they go to the Angels or Tigers it’s like they fell off the MLB map. Was he injured?

• Premium Member
51 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Get Rendon back.

Hmmmm.... not quite sure how that would work out, given that he was too expensive for us to keep in the first place, and all the more so now that we're aiming to keep Soto off the open market.

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Seriously what happened to Rendon?

Yeah, I think he's been injured quite a bit since he went to LAA.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Jdawgflow said:

how good of a return did the Nats get for Max and Turner?

Kiebert Ruiz got a lot of ABs this season, and will be the full-time starting catcher beginning next season. If memory serves, he'd been considered the #13 prospect in baseball.

Josiah Gray got several starts this season, and had been a top 60 prospect. He's certainly a lock to be in the rotation, and worse-case scenario for us, could be the #1 if Strasburg doesn't get back to 100% and Corbin remains so inconsistent. Best case, he's the #4 or even #5, because Rizzo made a trade or signed a legit starter, or two.

Then we received two others who are good-not-great prospects whose ETA will become more apparent with their performance in the minors in 2022.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, sturt said:

Kiebert Ruiz got a lot of ABs this season, and will be the full-time starting catcher beginning next season. If memory serves, he'd been considered the #13 prospect in baseball.

Josiah Gray got several starts this season, and had been a top 60 prospect. He's certainly a lock to be in the rotation, and worse-case scenario for us, could be the #1 if Strasburg doesn't get back to 100% and Corbin remains so inconsistent. Best case, he's the #4 or even #5, because Rizzo made a trade or signed a legit starter, or two.

Then we received two others who are good-not-great prospects whose ETA will become more apparent with their performance in the minors in 2022.

You think the return was good?  I have read some places that it was not strong return compared to what some thought they may get back.

• Premium Member
On 11/11/2021 at 8:17 PM, Jdawgflow said:

You think the return was good?  I have read some places that it was not strong return compared to what some thought they may get back.

I'm no expert, but I've read what you have. My guess, fwiw, is they may have been offered more by, say, the Padres, when you add up all the talent, but perhaps none of those players were rated as highly by Rizzo as Ruiz. My working theory, then, is that Rizzo was predisposed to take the offer that would give him the highest rated talent as part of the package, regardless of the quality of the rest of the haul. And Ruiz truly could be the catcher in DC for the next 5-10 years.

• 3 months later...