My Hawks trade proposal to get to the top of the East.

Hawkmoor

The Hawks are gonna make the playoffs.  No problem there.  The Hawks still have a nice squad as currently constituted.  My problem is my feeling they can't get into the NBA finals because of the lack of a half court play maker outside of Young.  The play and injuries of Bogi and Hunter compound the Hawks over reliance on Young.  Here is a 3 team trade proposal that works salary wise ( I checked on this).  The very unlikeable part of this trade is the inclusion of Okongwu.  Thats the price to be paid if the Hawks felt that Irving could be that missing piece.

Regardless of how people feel about Irving, he is still one of the best players in the league.  If the Hawks had a filter, they wouldn't have drafted Jalen Johnson. The fanbase would quickly forget the Irving drama if they had a chance to get a star like him in town with Trae.  NBA execs keep parroting that Irving's current trade value has tanked because of the drama.  They said the same thing about Ben Simmons, mistakenly believing the Sixers would trade him for nothing.  The Nets are not gonna let Irving walk for peanuts.

Here is the proposal: The Hawks trade Okongwu, Hunter and Huerter to the Spurs.  The Spurs send Dejounte Murray to the Hawks.  The Hawks immediately trade Murray to the Nets along with Wright and Reddish.  The Hawks receive Kyrie Irving and Nic Claxton from the Nets.

Why the Spurs would do this:  Pops likes developing young talent.  Murray, though a fabulous guard, isn't really the floor general type that Pops likes.  This hurts their back court regardless, but they would be getting a nice haul to build around.  They can address point guard in the lottery which is where they most likely gonna be.  

Why the Nets do this:  The obvious,  and a chance to get a haul for Irving with his perceived value taking a hit currently.

Why the Hawks do this:  Even John Hollinger has stated with the "Athletic"  that the Hawks would rather stay still as currently constituted, but doesn't rule out a major trade.  Georgia doesn't have the same rules as New York and New Jersey.  Travis did a fabulous job stacking depth, but if that depth stays hurt (Hunter) and you found value in Reddish,  why not bump Johnson into the rotation early.  You still got Bogi and Gali with this proposal so its not a total gutting of the Hawks roster. Bogi could help the bench scoring.

pg  Trae Young

sg Kyrie Irving

sf  Solomon Hill

pf John Collins

c Clint Capela

ATLANTA HAWKS: Five reasons why Kyrie Irving to Atlanta makes sense - The  Covington News

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

He almost had me but this got to be a joke.    When i saw Solo in the starting lineup with a Trae/Kyrie backcourt i knew i'd been had.   

Who cares about the Solo part? 😀   They could insert Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot there.  Doesn't matter.  Its the problem that the Hawks could present to other teams with that backcourt and the pairing of Collins and Capela upfront.

pg Young

sg Irving

sf Cabarrot

pf Collins

c Capela

Edited by Hawkmoor

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

The play and injuries of Bogi and Hunter compound the Hawks over reliance on Young. 

since we are talking injuries:  Kyrie has his own injury concerns as well as Nix Claxton who has only played 4 games this season.

• Moderators

Ok.  I guess  you are serious.  So here are the issues i see

Trae/Kyrie is a terrible backcourt that will get scored on like crazy

We give up half our team of young, cheap very good talent (which would be a huge overpay)

Kyrie would probably just quit anyway.

• Thanks 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

since we are talking injuries:  Kyrie has his own injury concerns as well as Nix Claxton who has only played 4 games this season.

Kyrie has a history of missing time with ankle injuries, hamstring sprains and other injury concerns.  He missed 29 games in 2016; 10 games in 17; 22 games in 18; 15 games in 19; 52 games in 20; 18 games in 21; and 21 games year to date in the 2021-22 season due to yet another sprain between the ears.. 

Also a Trae / Kyrie backcourt is a defensive nightmare (for us...opposing guards would drool).  

He has been a handful for management over the years.  He couldn't handle the jealousy of playing around LeBron and so jumped to Boston to lead his own team.  He couldn't handle being the #1 guy and put up a stinker in the post-season when the opposing defense keyed on him (instead of him getting good looks because LeBron and KD draw the most attention) and so jumped to the Nets to join with bigger names and return to a supporting role (where in fairness he excels).  Now he is being sent home because his presence is considered a net negative to the team until he does what virtually every other NBA player has done and just gets a shot and returns to the court.  Selfish, tempermental and an injury risk.  

Easy pass.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

The Hawks are gonna make the playoffs.  No problem there.  The Hawks still have a nice squad as currently constituted.  My problem is my feeling they can't get into the NBA finals because of the lack of a half court play maker outside of Young.  The play and injuries of Bogi and Hunter compound the Hawks over reliance on Young.  Here is a 3 team trade proposal that works salary wise ( I checked on this).  The very unlikeable part of this trade is the inclusion of Okongwu.  Thats the price to be paid if the Hawks felt that Irving could be that missing piece.

Regardless of how people feel about Irving, he is still one of the best players in the league.  If the Hawks had a filter, they wouldn't have drafted Jalen Johnson. The fanbase would quickly forget the Irving drama if they had a chance to get a star like him in town with Trae.  NBA execs keep parroting that Irving's current trade value has tanked because of the drama.  They said the same thing about Ben Simmons, mistakenly believing the Sixers would trade him for nothing.  The Nets are not gonna let Irving walk for peanuts.

Here is the proposal: The Hawks trade Okongwu, Hunter and Huerter to the Spurs.  The Spurs send Dejounte Murray to the Hawks.  The Hawks immediately trade Murray to the Nets along with Wright and Reddish.  The Hawks receive Kyrie Irving and Nic Claxton from the Nets.

Why the Spurs would do this:  Pops likes developing young talent.  Murray, though a fabulous guard, isn't really the floor general type that Pops likes.  This hurts their back court regardless, but they would be getting a nice haul to build around.  They can address point guard in the lottery which is where they most likely gonna be.  

Why the Nets do this:  The obvious,  and a chance to get a haul for Irving with his perceived value taking a hit currently.

Why the Hawks do this:  Even John Hollinger has stated with the "Athletic"  that the Hawks would rather stay still as currently constituted, but doesn't rule out a major trade.  Georgia doesn't have the same rules as New York and New Jersey.  Travis did a fabulous job stacking depth, but if that depth stays hurt (Hunter) and you found value in Reddish,  why not bump Johnson into the rotation early.  You still got Bogi and Gali with this proposal so its not a total gutting of the Hawks roster. Bogi could help the bench scoring.

pg  Trae Young

sg Kyrie Irving

sf  Solomon Hill

pf John Collins

c Clint Capela

ATLANTA HAWKS: Five reasons why Kyrie Irving to Atlanta makes sense - The  Covington News

Nick Young Swaggy P GIF - Nick Young Swaggy P Confused - Discover & Share  GIFs

Hawkmoor confirmed double agent!!! For basketball reasons... that back court defense would be so dreadful it does not matter if Collins/Capela were playing at DPOY levels.  You can't win a chip with 0 wing defense or Utah would probably have 2 right now.  Also I had a visceral reaction to trading every single young promising player away for a guy who doesn't want to lace up.  My bootleg OO jersey is still on a boat in the pacific and you're trying to trade him away smh

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Oh I forgot to add that no stating lineup with Solomon Hill in it will ever win anything, period.  Teams could play triangle and 2 on that lineup and face guard Trae/Kyrie every possession and we probably couldn't score. 

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Ok.  I guess  you are serious.  So here are the issues i see

Trae/Kyrie is a terrible backcourt that will get scored on like crazy

We give up half our team of young, cheap very good talent (which would be a huge overpay)

Kyrie would probably just quit anyway.

You put some analysis into it.  I appreciate that.  I agree that the price is steep. My concern about the defense isn't there because it is not like Trae/Bogi is scaring anybody on defense.  You are really saying that you prefer a Trae/Bogi over Trae/Irving?

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Thats correct.  Claxton is getting in shape to come back.

He's another injury prone player, rather the one we know in Onyeka.

Onyeka played 50 games in one season, Nic has played 47 games over TWO seasons

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

He's another injury prone player, rather the one we know in Onyeka.

Onyeka played 50 games in one season, Nic has played 47 games over TWO seasons

Its a moot point because Hunter can't stay on the court.  Reddish can't stay on the court and Bogi is right there behind them.