• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Potential Delon Wright for a wing trade threads

NBASupes

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

It is pretty incredible how gun shy he has been compared to his prior seasons.  He is definitely doing much less scoring around the basket and overall.  As a % of his total shots (not raw numbers), he is shooting more long jumpers and is on pace for a career low in shots near the basket.  Likewise, he is on pace for a career low in FTA/36 which is likely connected since most guards tend to generate more free throws when they drive the ball than when they shoot jumpers.  

As far as raw numbers on a per minute basis, just look at how scared he has been to shoot compared to every other season in his career:

image.png

The numbers back up what everyone is seeing. He needs to step up and be willing to shoot and drive more often when he is running the offense.

Those wide open rhythm threes he is passing up after great ball movement are mind boggling. I don't care if you are sub-par three point shooter, if you are a wing and you get the wide open look you have to take it. It just deflates the team when you pass the ball around the horn beautifully to create a wide open look and the shooter passes it up and forces a worse look late into the shot clock. 

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Those wide open rhythm threes he is passing up after great ball movement are mind boggling. I don't care if you are sub-par three point shooter, if you are a wing and you get the wide open look you have to take it. It just deflates the team when you pass the ball around the horn beautifully to create a wide open look and the shooter passes it up and forces a worse look late into the shot clock. 

He's done this enough for me to think it's time to go in a different direction at backup PG. He won't shoot on or off the ball. It's becoming a liability now.

• Like 2

Hawks may not need to trade for a wang after all!  JJ is doing nicely in the G League and all they have to do is call him up.  He's improving as his season progresses.  He's 20 years old this week.

:smug:

• Like 1

On 12/13/2021 at 8:36 AM, NBASupes said:

He ain't no scrub but he's always going to suck in heliocentric offenses like ours 

I browse the forum on my phone and tablet.  For some reason,  the forum will not let me respond to posters by quoting them on those platforms.  I have to use a desktop to quote posters.  Has then been a issue with other posters to your knowledge? You,  @terrell and several others responded to me and I never responded back because I'm too lazy to go over to my desktop, lol.

Edited by Hawkmoor

30 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

I browse the forum on my phone and tablet.  For some reason,  the forum will not let me respond to posters by quoting them on those platforms.  I have to use a desktop to quote posters.  Has then been a issue with other posters to your knowledge? You,  @terrell and several others responded to me and I never responded back because I'm too lazy to go over to my desktop, lol.

No, I haven't had that issue. Hit up @capstone21 

• Like 1

Me and @sturt the only Wright fans here lol. Even with a defensive rating that is creeping higher he still has the third highest net rating on the team, ahead of Trae.  Which is quite impressive because the Top 2 guys are spoon fed on offense by Trae while Wright never plays with him. I argue the validity of BB Ref net rating with no one that sh*t so accurate even the 90’s ratings.  The only major outlier over time I’ve seen is Klay (+1 career no way in hell)  

His apprehension to shoot is a problem no question.  @NBASupes is also correct he’s one of the most odd-fitting guards in the league.  But I try to get more posters to see that his combination of assist to turnover and defensive plays per foul is literally unmatched in the NBA this season.  That’s an invaluable player profile to winning team ball.  Just as I expected from looking at his numbers this summer, he doesn’t stop the ball on offense yet does on defense.  That’s the type of team ball I most prefer, regardless of the at-times hideous lack of scoring.  He’s like a poor man’s Iggy.  And what is Andre Igoudala’s career net rating?  +6.  Same as Wright.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

But I try to get more posters to see that his combination of assist to turnover and defensive plays per foul is literally unmatched in the NBA this season.  That’s an invaluable player profile to winning team ball.  Just as I expected from looking at his numbers this summer, he doesn’t stop the ball on offense yet does on defense.  That’s the type of team ball I most prefer, regardless of the at-times hideous lack of scoring.  He’s like a poor man’s Iggy.  

Tell me one memorable play he has made all season. A significant defensive play to stop a run, a timely assist to a teammate when we badly needed a bucket, an enexpected shot to stop a drought, a steal and score to energize crowd - that's Iggy. He's a very broke Iggy.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Me and @sturt the only Wright fans here lol.

To be more precise, I'm a fan of not being nearly so easy nor quick to come to a largely different conclusion about a player based on 30 games. I think people are just too predisposed to look at numbers without context, and arrive at premature conclusions.

Wright's not gotten the role that he was expected to get with any consistency, whether b/c McM has been dividing his minutes with LouWill or because of injuries confounding the 2nd unit from being the 2nd unit.

So, that's my most fundamental perspective on that.

That said, I also was one who made the somewhat-contested case that from a roster-construction philosophy, the GM had seemed to find success by looking to mirror the skill set from starter to back-up at each position... which, where PG was concerned, explained to some degree why trading Rondo for LouWill last year added something important to the rotation.

I just think Wright has evolved into a much better offensive player over the years than he used to be, and for fixable contextual reasons he's been set back in ATL. Patience not only will be rewarded, it will be substantially rewarded if he's our back-up come post-season. I believe that.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, mrhonline said:

I'd like to see Nate start Wright instead of TLC.

Intriguing.

Sounds like we're getting BogBog back shortly, though, which seemingly would resolve that.

Broken record, I just want to see Wright get about 3-4x the minutes he's gotten so far with what was expected to be his backcourt running mates, ie KVon and Cam. When last I looked, those guys had less than 60 minutes of time together in 25-ish games... that dog don't hunt.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, mrhonline said:

I'd like to see Nate start Wright instead of TLC. You lose almost nothing defensively, and Delon can hit an open three as well as anyone else. His passiveness on offense is less of an issue when paired with Trae.

The problem is Delon won't shoot even if he's playing off the ball. He's going to need to take AND hit open shots if he's playing next to Trae in the backcourt.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, hawkman said:

The problem is Delon won't shoot even if he's playing off the ball. He's going to need to take AND hit open shots if he's playing next to Trae in the backcourt.

Per possession, he's not passing up 3s at any higher rate than 2s, fwiw. And historically he's an adequate perimeter shooter. Agree that he'd have to shoot open threes to play next to Trae, though.

IMO, having a guy who doesn't take many shots is less of a problem when it's Trae, Capela, JC, and Huerter as the other 4. 

While we're on the subject...Huerter's defensive numbers are poor. I'd imagine Bogi will be back as the starter soon enough.