• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My guy has talked around NBA circles of late

NBASupes

For Lakers lurkers:

I am told that every single player is available for trade right now. 

But Bron and AD are only available for significant overpay which is not available for either player at this time and likely won't be. For Bron, this would be Evan Mobley, Garland, a lot of 1st rounders unprotected, Allen and basically a farm with a significant prospect. As you can imagine with Bron win now status and age, that's not happening. For AD, something like robbing the Hawks for example. 

Westbrook has significant interest from OKC and Houston. But I am told LA interest is nil. They aren't interested in trading for Wall nor are they interested in trading a future unprotected 1st. Westbrook experience is likely to end in LA in 2023 unless the Lakers budge. 

There is legit talk that the Lakers could look to move LeBron next year if the value is significant. Chances are, this will not happen. Teams with significant assets don't trade them for aging rentals, even if its LeBron. 

Lakers are trying to find steals and offer their players who aren't so productive for them. As I said, this is a sellers market but LA can't be blamed for lack of trying. Draft assets are so big these days. You will see guys like Doug M possibly traded for 2nd rounders. These are the trades you should come to expect. 

The name I expect to be moved is Robert Covington. I just think some playoff bound team will trade for him. He just makes the most sense and Portland can likely recoup a 1st. 

Almost forgot, Houston is really open to a Christian Wood trade but I am told they want a significant asset for him. He's another player on the summer shopping list for teams but unlikely during the trade deadline.

• Thanks 4

Thanks Supes not the news I was hoping to hear for the hawks but I get it .

looking to trade assets for an all star or superstar player to put next to Trae is always great but in my opinion there should be major interest in players like Malcom Brogdan to put next to Trae while keeping either Reddish or Hunter as well.

Brogdon in my opinion fills a gap we have that Bogi and Huerter aren’t consistently great at and that’s being consistent on ball scorer and playmaker, plus defense! Brogdon 18-20 pts with 5-6 assist average and defense would be major help here…..Pacers seem to be the one team that’s went public about their players being up for sale.

I understand trying to hit the jackpot but I just want a good improving trade ….. if we could add Brogdon as a starter next to Trae, we’d be better instantly. I would be willing to give a nice trade package for brogdon just can’t give away both of Hunter and reddish in the deal.

Speaking of jackpot deals….Ben Simmons is there. If schlenk wanted to use him as draymond green type here in Atlanta there’s his chance. I don’t buy all the Simmons don’t want to play a big man crap. Simmons is looking for a fresh start. He has some great abilities that could help us now as long as we keep shooters around him.

My center take:

Your capela news sounds like an observation from you…..

“I  believe Capela could be moved by the draft. There is major interest in Clint because of the dearth of centers who play the PnR well and rebound well and he could be moved this offseason for a first. I doubt anyone else will be moved.“

oh that’s cause it is lol (had to read it again). So my take is similar. I love capela man he’s a good center but he’s getting exposed in just his second season here with us. Some of that is what I believe due to injury but a lot is also due to strategy against us mainly small ball lineups. As good as Capela is in PnR and rebounding ….I believe Collins is better at PnR and reads the defense better if he needs to pop and Big O may be ready to fill the Center void sooner then we all thought! There’s already situations where Onekya should be on the floor over capela. 

So trading capela doesn’t sound as crazy as I once thought. That quick and the league has figured out how we use capela.

Moving on I want to acknowledge I’m very interested in Bagley III to come here and backup Big O. How expensive is he, is my question and would he be worth it???…well from a defensive standpoint in this new era Big O and Bagley are this era type of defensive centers you want. They are long, athletic, speedy type centers who can run the floor and has ability to potentially spread the floor offensively. They are smaller in terms of weight but they can position themselves to not get beat off the dribble as often like a capela type would be. My favorite part is that You can play OO and Bagley vs ALL lineups…traditional and small ball. Capela was able to do this in Houston at one point before the forced weight gain. 

maybe it’s not worth it but to me id look into the possibility of adding Bagley and making OO a starter. Regardless OO may be able to start next season if not earlier even with capela here. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, mrhonline said:

Gallo's salary for next season is fully guaranteed if not waived before June 30.

I'd say a trade in late June is a virtual lock. They won't wanna waste $5M in luxury tax breathing room by waiving him.

Thanks.  Spells it out in three sentences why I feel urgency to make a move.  Gallo is a big salary that has a clock and is in a use it or lose it status.  

Option 1. Trade Gallo and keep the "luxury tax breathing room."
Option 2. Waive Gallo and lose your "luxury tax breathing room."
Option 3. Exercise the option to retain Gallo for another year.

So moving Gallo is not about, "making a trade just for the sake of trading".  Waiving Gallo means we have a weaker cap position.  Keeping him at his salary is not a realistic option.  

Keeping all of our recent draft picks and waiting to let them develop also means we are extremely limited in the type of trades we can make with Gallo.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, mrhonline said:

Gallo's salary for next season is fully guaranteed if not waived before June 30.

I'd say a trade in late June is a virtual lock. They won't wanna waste $5M in luxury tax breathing room by waiving him.

21 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Thanks.  Spells it out in three sentences why I feel urgency to make a move.  Gallo is a big salary that has a clock and is in a use it or lose it status.  

Option 1. Trade Gallo and keep the "luxury tax breathing room."
Option 2. Waive Gallo and lose your "luxury tax breathing room."
Option 3. Exercise the option to retain Gallo for another year.

So moving Gallo is not about, "making a trade just for the sake of trading".  Waiving Gallo means we have a weaker cap position.  Keeping him at his salary is not a realistic option.  

Keeping all of our recent draft picks and waiting to let them develop also means we are extremely limited in the type of trades we can make with Gallo.  

Luxury Tax for 2022-23 season: $145 million (rounded)

Hawks Guaranteed salary for 2022-22 (including full Gallo): $151 million

Hawks Salary (waived Gallo): $135 million which leaves us with ~$10 million under the Luxury Tax threshold.

Options:

1. Find a team with capspace to dump his salary and pay a 1st in the process.

2. Find a team that can use his services, most likely a vet team but chances are they'll need to send us back salary, so it depends on the player coming back to us and the salary if greater that the $5mil Gallo guarantee. So can we get a useful player?.

3. Gallo plus young player and/or pick(s) for a clear UPGRADE.

4. Find a team looking for Luxury Tax relief that can use Gallo's $5 mil guarantee to get under the tax, but again we'll either be taking back salary or finding a 3rd team and paying for it.

5. Keep Gallo and trade him later since we'll be a Luxury Tax player anyway. We'd be trading for hopefully a useful player with not as high a salary but on a longer deal. (I don't know who that player is right now). The team would be looking to use Gallo as an expiring contract for 2023.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Doubt we make a major move. I don't see us trading Kevin or Bogi. We just signed Kevin and Bogi is only in year 2 of his deal. It's hard to upgrade on good but not great players, that's just how the NBA is.  

We have a war chest of assets to trade that most teams would dream about.  Our assets include all of our guys on rookie contracts, future draft picks, and even players like Kevin and Bogi who are proven contributors on reasonable contracts.  

The Bulls traded Thad Young, Aminu, a 1st round pick, and 2 2nd rounders for Derozan.  

Chris Paul trade.  Jrue Holiday trade.  

Not saying all of those guys are who and what we need, but completely disagree that we don't have the pieces to make a major move.  In fact Gallo's situation is nearly demanding that we make a move of some kind.  

1 minute ago, Final_quest said:

We have a war chest of assets to trade that most teams would dream about.  Our assets include all of our guys on rookie contracts, future draft picks, and even players like Kevin and Bogi who are proven contributors on reasonable contracts.  

The Bulls traded Thad Young, Aminu, a 1st round pick, and 2 2nd rounders for Derozan.  

Chris Paul trade.  Jrue Holiday trade.  

Not saying all of those guys are who and what we need, but completely disagree that we don't have the pieces to make a major move.  In fact Gallo's situation is nearly demanding that we make a move of some kind.  

I'm not saying we dont have the pieces, but it's hard to see who we would be after. Do you have anyone in mind? 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Hawks Salary (waived Gallo): $135 million which leaves us with ~$10 million under the Luxury Tax threshold.

Options:

2. Find a team that can use his services, most likely a vet team but chances are they'll need to send us back salary, so it depends on the player coming back to us and the salary if greater that the $5mil Gallo guarantee. So can we get a useful player?.

4. Find a team looking for Luxury Tax relief that can use Gallo's $5 mil guarantee to get under the tax, but again we'll either be taking back salary or finding a 3rd team and paying for it.

5. Keep Gallo and trade him later since we'll be a Luxury Tax player anyway. We'd be trading for hopefully a useful player with not as high a salary but on a longer deal. (I don't know who that player is right now). The team would be looking to use Gallo as an expiring contract for 2023.

I would trade Gallo to Orlando for Garry Harris. Harris is a defensive wing who is in the last year of his deal, making $20.4 million. This will also open up more minutes for 'Gwu and JJ (if guys really think JJ should start getting minutes now). 

I'd also waive TLC and sign a guy like Patrick Patterson or Harry Giles as depth at the PF spot.

Just some quick moves that I could think of so we can get out of Gallo's deal next year. 

19 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I'm not saying we dont have the pieces, but it's hard to see who we would be after. Do you have anyone in mind? 

OK, not sure.  But if the right person becomes available we have the pieces to make a deal. 

I see it as the GMs job to find and procure talent.  Fans can come up with trades all day long and it really doesn't mean anything.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

I would trade Gallo to Orlando for Garry Harris. Harris is a defensive wing who is in the last year of his deal, making $20.4 million. This will also open up more minutes for 'Gwu and JJ (if guys really think JJ should start getting minutes now). 

I'd also waive TLC and sign a guy like Patrick Patterson or Harry Giles as depth at the PF spot.

Just some quick moves that I could think of so we can get out of Gallo's deal next year. 

Patrick Patterson fills a great role; spacing the floor. He shot ~35% from 3 last year which is league average.

One of his best games last season: 

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

This is the kind of deal I'm talking about that would require us giving an asset to Orlando.

7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This is the kind of deal I'm talking about that would require us giving an asset to Orlando.

I’m only attaching a second rounder to this deal. I honestly think it’s a fair deal for both sides since Gallo is the better player.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, ATLHawks3 said:

I’m only attaching a second rounder to this deal. I honestly think it’s a fair deal for both sides since Gallo is the better player.

Particularly if they intend to waive Gallo for the $5 mil, so it's a 2nd for that.

7 hours ago, JTB said:

Thanks Supes not the news I was hoping to hear for the hawks but I get it .

looking to trade assets for an all star or superstar player to put next to Trae is always great but in my opinion there should be major interest in players like Malcom Brogdan to put next to Trae while keeping either Reddish or Hunter as well.

Brogdon in my opinion fills a gap we have that Bogi and Huerter aren’t consistently great at and that’s being consistent on ball scorer and playmaker, plus defense! Brogdon 18-20 pts with 5-6 assist average and defense would be major help here…..Pacers seem to be the one team that’s went public about their players being up for sale.

I understand trying to hit the jackpot but I just want a good improving trade ….. if we could add Brogdon as a starter next to Trae, we’d be better instantly. I would be willing to give a nice trade package for brogdon just can’t give away both of Hunter and reddish in the deal.

Speaking of jackpot deals….Ben Simmons is there. If schlenk wanted to use him as draymond green type here in Atlanta there’s his chance. I don’t buy all the Simmons don’t want to play a big man crap. Simmons is looking for a fresh start. He has some great abilities that could help us now as long as we keep shooters around him.

My center take:

Your capela news sounds like an observation from you…..

“I  believe Capela could be moved by the draft. There is major interest in Clint because of the dearth of centers who play the PnR well and rebound well and he could be moved this offseason for a first. I doubt anyone else will be moved.“

oh that’s cause it is lol (had to read it again). So my take is similar. I love capela man he’s a good center but he’s getting exposed in just his second season here with us. Some of that is what I believe due to injury but a lot is also due to strategy against us mainly small ball lineups. As good as Capela is in PnR and rebounding ….I believe Collins is better at PnR and reads the defense better if he needs to pop and Big O may be ready to fill the Center void sooner then we all thought! There’s already situations where Onekya should be on the floor over capela. 

So trading capela doesn’t sound as crazy as I once thought. That quick and the league has figured out how we use capela.

Moving on I want to acknowledge I’m very interested in Bagley III to come here and backup Big O. How expensive is he, is my question and would he be worth it???…well from a defensive standpoint in this new era Big O and Bagley are this era type of defensive centers you want. They are long, athletic, speedy type centers who can run the floor and has ability to potentially spread the floor offensively. They are smaller in terms of weight but they can position themselves to not get beat off the dribble as often like a capela type would be. My favorite part is that You can play OO and Bagley vs ALL lineups…traditional and small ball. Capela was able to do this in Houston at one point before the forced weight gain. 

maybe it’s not worth it but to me id look into the possibility of adding Bagley and making OO a starter. Regardless OO may be able to start next season if not earlier even with capela here. 

While Malcolm wasn't a topic in the convo I had yesterday, he has been in the past. Its gonna be expensive to get him. If Atlanta wanted him, could they get him, sure, Hunter or Okongwu would be exactly who Indy would target but Atlanta isn't letting those guys go for Brogdon. The truth is, Brogdon value is probably realistically closer to Capela which is a 1st from a playoff team but Indy values him for a major young player or a top tier mid to late lotto 1st. I didn't get the feel he was seen in that light. So I don't believe Malcolm will be moved. 

I've said this in the summer and it continues. The player that Morey is targeting for a SnT is James Harden. There is a sentiment that Harden wants his own team again or playing with a better fit like a big man. Even if James wins a title in Brooklyn. This might be his last year like it was for KD in GS. Also, Kyrie is highly likely to resign as really no one wants him for the max, not even the Nets, lol.

It is my observation. Nothing is out there that Clint is on the trade block. That said, there is so many teams looking to upgrade at center and there is a dearth of quality in the NBA who fit what this style is. Capela has value and could get Atlanta multiple 1sts from a desperate team like RoCo did. There just aren't that many centers and a lot of the older guys have regressed too much without younger guys replacing them.

I haven't heard Atlanta name and interest for Bagley or Knox or any young guys possibly available. That could change but nothing so far. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Options:

Atlanta is extremely tight right now because they refuse to go over the LT. Even for an expiring, Atlanta doesn't want to cross that threshold for 2021-22. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Atlanta is extremely tight right now because they refuse to go over the LT. Even for an expiring, Atlanta doesn't want to cross that threshold for 2021-22. 

This^. Hawks are currently $1.8 million under the Luxury Tax and will avoid it like the plague for this season....and it's the right call. 

• Like 3