• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Bucks "at" Hawks: the MLK Day Game!

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

I'll find y'all more resource links later, but for now, here's a personal essay from a Benjamin Mays high school teacher that covers the then-and-now of "Atlanta's Berlin Wall" very well: "A Lesson in Barriers."

https://bittersoutherner.com/southern-perspective/2020/the-peyton-wall-a-lesson-in-barriers

~lw3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Moderators

As of this morning's latest Boo-Boo Report, both Bogi (sore knee) and Clint (sprained ankle) remain on the outs.

Jrue Holiday sits this one out with a sore ankle. Brook Lopez (back surgery) remains sidelined, while College Park Skyhawks legend Langston Galloway is the only player for either team currently under H&S protocols. Coach Bud returned from his protocol period last week.

~lw3

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

Funny how MLK has a day but Malcolm X does not...

Just now, Spud2nique said:

We didn’t learn as much about X in the early 80’s in grade school either. 

Why do you think that is?

• Moderators

Another Peyton Road link from the Georgia Tech liberal arts college, now named after Ivan Allen, the transformed and transformative Atlanta mayor who would be with Coretta Scott King at the time of MLK Jr.'s 1968 assassination.

https://ivanallen.iac.gatech.edu/biography/peyton-road-wall

~lw3

• Thanks 2

• Moderators

Interviews with the late Dr. Clinton Warner (1924-2012), the Peyton Forest resident who, the same year Atlanta's "Wall" came down, was also a plaintiff in a lawsuit that led to the desegregation of Emory University.

https://www.thehistorymakers.org/biography/dr-clinton-warner-39

~lw3

• Thanks 2

I just balled in these bad boys! Happy MLK day everyone.

ps I made a friend, was wearing Pistons shirt and was a baller and then I nailed 7 threes in a row and got his attention a bit, @AHF then and you’ll appreciate this, older white dude about 60 walks by, a baller himself, imagine he played for.. Kentucky lol, he gave me a thumbs up 👍 as I nailed a 30 footer flying out of bounce and onto the grass to end it. (I always gotta leave only after burying a 3, then I don’t dribble the ball straight pick up and to my car 🚗!

Anyhoo, oh the Pistons dude said he liked Cade a lot, been a Pistons fan since mid 80’s, bad boy days, cool dude, honestly I’m gonna start being a cooler dude @kg01 cuz the Bay Area, I tell ya, they hate the Hawks alone for my trash 🗑 talking 😂 

Go Hawks!

159CDC0C-F352-42D1-A5B8-DA39BD490FA9.jpeg

Edited by Spud2nique
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

“Blockbusting” was becoming all the rage in the ruthless real estate industry. Pay Black citizens to mingle in White neighborhoods, then advise White homeowners of the “threat” to their property values, coaxing them to sell and move further out of town at a markdown. Turn around, sell to a Black buyer with limited options, like Dr. Warner, at a markup. Then keep spinning with the scare tactics, the profiteers enjoying perpetual windfalls as grumbling sellers and hamstrung buyers pointed fingers of varying color at one another.

I had never heard of this term until now.  Now I really have to look it up and do major research on it.  I'll start with this video.

Newscast starts at 1:55

There may be 1 minute pauses between news segments

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

@lethalweapon3 you’re not Jay W are you? :eyebrow: Dude seems unassuming, humble, an environmentalist and family man. 

hmmm… 

Jay Williams? Nah, you couldn't get me to hop on one of them Yamaha motorcycles! I'd be like Toonces the Driving Cat on those things!

~lw3

• Haha 3