• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

There's a REAL Question that we have to consider.

Diesel

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I don't see how you can come up with that conclusion.  If we're sitting Bogi because his injury requires time then I'm 100% happy with that because I don't want a 50% Bogi taking the court.   Suggesting that he needs surgery but we're holding him for a playoff run is just as Goofy as Coach Bud not calling a timeout for Wesley Matthews. 

Not necessarily. There are certain injuries that won't get worse by playing through them, especially with appropriate rest/use management, but that won't get completely better until surgery. Okongwu's offseason labrum surgery and Huerter's offseason ankle procedure are both examples of that. O's in particular--basketball players frequently play through torn labrums (sometimes even torn labrums in both shoulders) because you can still function at like 90% of normal with it. I don't claim to know the anatomy of the knee, but I know there've been plenty of basketball players (and athletes in all other sports) who delay surgery until the offseason on injuries that eventually need it so that they stay available during playoff runs.

The most extreme example I know of is from the WNBA--Elena Delle Donne had 3 herniated discs in her back, but gritted through it while her team was on a championship run in 2019, where she played a critical role despite being way less than 100%. Then she got the surgery in the offseason, needed another surgery a year later, and was only able to return this past season for a couple games before getting shut down again. She may have essentially put off career-ending surgery because even hobbled, she was still able to play a key role for her team.

If you need me to find more examples, I'm sure I can. But it may well be that the Hawks figure that they can get Bogi up to 80 to 90% of his old self with rest/use management, and that 80/90% Bogi is going to be more useful in the playoffs than, say, TLC at 100%.

Edited by niremetal
  • Thanks 3

On 1/19/2022 at 7:20 AM, Final_quest said:

Apparently a guy on Brad Rowland's podcast conjectured that he might be permanently damaged.  We're going to have judge by performance unless we get a medical report.

One thing I don't buy is that Bogi actually sucks, but got lucky for 40 games straight.  Find me an example of a dude averaging 22 points hitting threes at over 50% for that long.  I've never heard of such a thing, and it's a weird take.   

I think @AHF pointed that out too.  What Bogi was doing was kind of unprecedented. 

Maybe the clock just struck midnight, and the "Cinderella" hot shooting streak he was on just ended as quickly as it came.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, niremetal said:

With the early rule-outs continuing through the weekend, I think one of two things is happening:

1. Bogi's injury is more concerning than they've let on--like maybe it's the sort of thing that can only be truly fixed by surgery, but they don't want to go that route if there's still a chance that the Hawks could make a serious playoff run and could need Bogi for that (even if he is less than 100%).
  2. It's not that serious an injury, but it *is* the sort of thing that will only get totally better with extended rest. And with the Hawks on the closest thing to a hot streak they've been all season, they are going to hold him out until he's either 100% healthy (since that knee has been an issue twice now in the past year) or until the hot streak comes crashing down and they need him back in the lineup to shake things up.

3. TRADE.... 😆 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

3. TRADE.... 😆 

Methinks the other team would insist on a pretty rigorous physical. Bogi ain't Cam, whose contract is small enough that a team wouldn't really feel it if he turned out to be a bust. Bogi's higher salary + trade kicker mean that he probably isn't tradeable unless the other team is 100% confident he isn't damaged goods.

Edited by niremetal

22 hours ago, niremetal said:

Methinks the other team would insist on a pretty rigorous physical. Bogi ain't Cam, whose contract is small enough that a team wouldn't really feel it if he turned out to be a bust. Bogi's higher salary + trade kicker mean that he probably isn't tradeable unless the other team is 100% confident he isn't damaged goods.

And if he isn't damaged goods, he's a keeper!

:smug:

Edited by Gray Mule