• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

[Haynes] Trae pressuring management to play more off-ball

mrhonline

3 minutes ago, High5 said:

Playing off the ball isn’t just allowing others to dribble while he stands near mid court though. He needs to move to make it more effective.

I don’t disagree. But I’m looking at baby steps. He’s deferring more to his teammates. He will never be a great movement type player. 

but yeah - he absolutely needs work there. But if he chooses not to. A 42% 3pt shooter camping on the 3pt line isn’t the worse thing

Edited by h4wkfan
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

https://streamable.com/baeejg

Y'all need to watch the games

lol I just watched this play from scrolling back to see if Trae was making any catch and shoot 3s.  I do watch the games and this is not a great representation of how JC post-ups typically go.  Jokic post-ups sure but not JC... I suppose he could get there but he doesn't gave the best vision right now.  This play in particular is more a failure of the defense than anything.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
Just now, JeffS17 said:

lol I just watched this play from scrolling back to see if Trae was making any catch and shoot 3s.  I do watch the games and this is not a great representation of how JC post-ups typically go.

My point is that it is a way to initiate offense

• Like 1

Chris Haynes has a pretty damn cool name, even if it does have 1 too many letters in it. The n, the n is the extra letter. My name is Chris Hayes. No, I don’t have a show on MSNBC…

But he’s wrong when he says Trae plays in a “small market.” ATL is a Top 10 NBA market:

https://hoop-social.com/nba-team-market-size-rankings/

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
Just now, Peoriabird said:

My point is that it is a way to initiate offense

Point taken and it's a good one because a lot of what we want out of our squad just requires time and development.  We have a young team and we found a nice local maximum last year in our play, but we have a ways to go to truly compete (even from last years performance, obviously a ways to go from what we've seen this year)

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

lol I just watched this play from scrolling back to see if Trae was making any catch and shoot 3s.  I do watch the games and this is not a great representation of how JC post-ups typically go.

more none Trae Young assist

https://streamable.com/wqf7oj

28 minutes ago, hazer said:

Chris Haynes has a pretty damn cool name, even if it does have 1 too many letters in it. The n, the n is the extra letter. My name is Chris Hayes. No, I don’t have a show on MSNBC…

But he’s wrong when he says Trae plays in a “small market.” ATL is a Top 10 NBA market:

https://hoop-social.com/nba-team-market-size-rankings/

I love the dude and I have no idea why. All I can come up with is he reminds me of a nasaly friend I had in the 2nd grade that was a player. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sothron said:

You can see mypost in the other thread. I told you guys Trae is talking to Travis. He wants a playmaker and shot creator to play with him. That will mean Trae can come off the ball for catch and shoot. And yes, he does want to do that. Not all the time but mix it up. Give defenses another wrinkle. It would absolutely make the team better both on offense AND defense. Trae not having to run the show and shoot the ball all the time would mean he has more energy on defense.

image.gif.3412b9651626e1610993e7d562a6856b.gif

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, aali34 said:

Not to mention he(as well as most of the team) half assess it off the ball. They don't cut or set screens for each other.

This kind of play should be consistently done but we've only used it once.

Them dudes got there extremely late, Trae shot it from 30 and they still almost got to the shot. Trae shot take too long and he's too small to be an off ball shooter. He don't got a quick whip like Steph or JJ

It's cool to say you think you should be off the ball but to mention Jerami Grant is just rubbish. He ain't gonna help you in that arena. This seems like a Ben Simmons proxy without saying Ben Simmons. 

As for Haynes, his rep around the league for speaking from the player's side and their agent is impeccable. He's well respected from that end. Doesn't really have good ties to GMs around the league.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

I like Chris Haynes very much (for some reason 🤷‍♀️ he’s got a Brian Cox former NFL speaking tone about him :indifferent: I didn’t really like Cox tho so go figure :sarcastic:

I think Rayford is wrong about his son. He said he’s a better catch and shoot player than off the dribble? Do you all agree with that? 

I think the numbers support it.  So does the eye test.   That's if we're talking about from distance.   I've often wondered why we don't run him off of more screens... especially when we had lineups with him and Lou or Him and Delon.. or even Him and Bogi. 

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I think the numbers support it.  So does the eye test.   That's if we're talking about from distance.   I've often wondered why we don't run him off of more screens... especially when we had lineups with him and Lou or Him and Delon.. or even Him and Bogi. 

I agree. I also have to mention Trae has the quickest shot release I've ever seen. Imagine him coming off a good screen or staggered screens to get his shot off. It would be lethal.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I agree. I also have to mention Trae has the quickest shot release I've ever seen. Imagine him coming off a good screen or staggered screens to get his shot off. It would be lethal.

Even coming off of a screen and getting a chance to set his feet?

Let's get Hubie out there coaching and he can set up the offense that he set up for Reggie Miller. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Them dudes got there extremely late, Trae shot it from 30 and they still almost got to the shot. Trae shot take too long and he's too small to be an off ball shooter. He don't got a quick whip like Steph or JJ

He got a lower release point, but he still has a quick release. Looks like he takes a look at the basket instead of straight away firing like those two you mentioned.

Here's one closer to the line. Also Patty Mills is a great offball shooter and he's smaller than Trae.

1 hour ago, aali34 said:

He got a lower release point, but he still has a quick release. Looks like he takes a look at the basket instead of straight away firing like those two you mentioned.

Here's one closer to the line. Also Patty Mills is a great offball shooter and he's smaller than Trae.

Its not just the release, it's his setup. He has a set shot. Those guys don't 

Edited by NBASupes