• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

STAND PAT!!!!!!

Spud2nique

2 minutes ago, GameTime said:

Ben was 2nd in the NBA in Defensive Win Shares, Defensive Box Plus/Minus and 9th in Defensive Rating his "rookie" year (17-18).

I stand corrected. I just remember him not being good his "rookie" season and making improvements in his second. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, marco102 said:

I stand corrected. I just remember him not being good his "rookie" season and making improvements in his second. 

Yeah you might remember him not being good at defense in college (LSU). He has been consistently elite on D throughout his pro career.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, GameTime said:

Miami didn't have Lowry or Herro (potential 6th man of the year) out there. You gotta factor all this before we become prisoner of the moment. We could easily get blown out by Charlotte tomorrow and everyone's opinion here will change. Schlenk has to look long-term here more than short term.

We didn't have Gallo, Bogi and Clint on a minutes restriction the first game in two weeks. 

We've had the worst injury covid luck of any team so I'm not going down play this win. 

You are right Schlenk needs to look long term, but he can look long term after the season too. 

Just now, GameTime said:

Yeah you might remember him not being good at defense in college (LSU). He has been consistently elite on D throughout his pro career.

That's probably it. I knew he was trash in college on defense though....lol 

• Like 2

One great thing about Cooper - - He plays much like Trae.

One terrible thing about Cooper - - He plays much like Trae.

Sooner or later Cooper is going to move up and play in the NBA.  With Atlanta or someone else.  If he is playing behind Trae, nothing much will change when he enters the game.  If you want to change things up you can't.  On the other hand, Cooper comes in and Atlanta keeps going just like before.

Jalen Johnson is in the G League where he's maturing.  Right now he's kinda good.  As he grows he's going to be great.  This covers last summer's draft.

Hawks have 3 1st round picks coming this season.  Wonder what we do with them?  Tis said that the draft is loaded this year.  Draft picks are valuable and this upcoming one really good.

With our two down on the farm and three more coming, what do we do?  Nice problem to have, isn't it!

:sun:

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Ask yourself, why hasn't Philly ever been able to come out of the East, despite being loaded with talent and dominating the regular season the last few years. Why do they not only get bounced out, but typically self destruct and embarrassed along the way? 

Now ask yourself, are those issues that you would like for us to inherit as we attempt to find healthy chemistry and success going forward?

Just say no to Ben

You can ask yourself that all day... But you would be lying to yourself if you didn't come up with the answer:

EMBIID.

For as much as everybody want to make Simmons the skapegoat... the truth is Embiid is the real problem. 

When we beat Philly it was mainly because Embiid was out of shape.   Philly jumped out to a 26 pt lead on us and a 20 something point lead on us and we came back.   That wasn't Ben's fault.  That was because Embiid got tired.  When you watched the games this is how it went:  Embiid killing us with his inside/out game.  He's inside killing CC...Then he go Outside to the elbow and kill us some more.   BUt by the third...He was done.  He wasn't going inside any more.  Philly couldn't count on him for Points.  They couldn't count on him for Defense.. and we were scrappy. 

Simmons was part of the problem but the bigger problem IMO was the fact that they couldn't count on Embiid to do anything down the stretch. 

In one of those games, they put Simmons on Trae and he hindered Trae.  So why couldn't they use that plan to take them to the series win?  Because their losing was more about not scoring than stopping us. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, JTB said:

so due to how the team is playing as of late and to not mess up the chemistry too much I think Schlenk should be going after Jerami Grant….that’s a safe trade. Bogi and OKC 1st rd pick for Grant. 

Grant can’t shoot like Bogi but he’s a way better defender and attacker off the dribble that’s capable of hitting the 3 ball. Put more guys around Trae who can dribble and drive that’s capable of 3s….not just strictly jump shooters.

I've read this several times.. It must be address.  Grant doesn't do anything that we need.  We got JC and Cap who can play inside.  What we need is a capable outside shooter OR Fierce Ball handler who can run the offense.   The one thing that is good about grant is that he can play defense.  It seems like a trade just to be trading... because Grant comes in and Hunter sits.   Neither Grant nor Hunter are Sgs.   That means we entrust all of our shooting duties on Kev?  Last Night Kev came through but most nights... NAh.

• Premium Member

Last night, I was thinking of a trade for Anfernee Simmons or CJ McCollum. 

Simmons has been playing pretty good.  PTL is always in the middle.  What i mean is that they are not bad enough to get picks and not good enough to win. They have both of these guys playing Sg ....

Simmons is shooting 45% from three.

McCollum is shooting 40% from three. 

My guess is that by the break one of these is going to be gone. 

Rumors say McCollum for Ben straight up.   I can actually see that because Morey is getting desperate. 

BUT....

1.  What could we offer?

Bogi/Gallo/ 2 1st rounders (maybe 3) for McCollum/Nance Jr. 

2.  How well does McCollum fit and could he be that secondary ball handler/Defender/shooter that we need?

???

On 1/22/2022 at 2:04 PM, Gray Mule said:

Jalen Johnson is in the G League where he's maturing.  Right now he's kinda good.  As he grows he's going to be great.  This covers last summer's draft.

Watching JJ in GLeague is definitely refreshing! With the Hawks playing so well and having both Coop and JJ in the farm system does make standing pat more favorable.

As much as I'd enjoy watching Simmons play with Trae (they compliment each other really well), there seems to be too many cons IMO (Simmons' mentality/buy in/delay, Harris' contract, losing future picks, offensive spacing of JC, Gallo & Bogi, possibly needing to trade Capela, etc.). Maybe some smaller trades if need be, but I think the goal should be to not mess with the current chemistry if they continue to play like this. 

Besides, if JJ mentioned he's modeled his game after Simmons and Lebron, then we may have a cheaper option to Simmons already in the farm. If he continues to work hard (on both sides), he could become that playmaking point forward for the Hawks once the game slows down for him. He looks to have the talent. Just add water.

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member

I don't know if anyone has said this yet but I will say it:

Please Travis resign Delon Wright. He has been so good this year especially on defense. He has really come alive without Cam on the team as well. FWIW I resigned him in my Hawks 2k franchise because he is what we need in a BU PG/SG. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Sothron said:

Please Travis resign Delon Wright. He has been so good this year especially on defense. He has really come alive without Cam on the team as well. FWIW I resigned him in my Hawks 2k franchise because he is what we need in a BU PG/SG. 

I need to see more offensively.  He has been better though.

• Like 3

• Moderators
20 hours ago, djjob23 said:

Watching JJ in GLeague is definitely refreshing! With the Hawks playing so well and having both Coop and JJ in the farm system does make standing pat more favorable.

As much as I'd enjoy watching Simmons play with Trae (they compliment each other really well), there seems to be too many cons IMO (Simmons' mentality/buy in/delay, Harris' contract, losing future picks, offensive spacing of JC, Gallo & Bogi, possibly needing to trade Capela, etc.). Maybe some smaller trades if need be, but I think the goal should be to not mess with the current chemistry if they continue to play like this. 

Besides, if JJ mentioned he's modeled his game after Simmons and Lebron, then we may have a cheaper option to Simmons already in the farm. If he continues to work hard (on both sides), he could become that playmaking point forward for the Hawks once the game slows down for him. He looks to have the talent. Just add water.

oh i don't know.   He envisions himself a playmaking guard yet we seem to be developing him as a PF/C.   I'm concerned about that. 

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Sothron said:

Ahhhh... well, there's this...

On 12/18/2021 at 2:52 PM, benhillboy said:

Me and @sturt the only Wright fans here lol. Even with a defensive rating that is creeping higher he still has the third highest net rating on the team, ahead of Trae.  Which is quite impressive because the Top 2 guys are spoon fed on offense by Trae while Wright never plays with him. I argue the validity of BB Ref net rating with no one that sh*t so accurate even the 90’s ratings.  The only major outlier over time I’ve seen is Klay (+1 career no way in hell)  

His apprehension to shoot is a problem no question.  @NBASupes is also correct he’s one of the most odd-fitting guards in the league.  But I try to get more posters to see that his combination of assist to turnover and defensive plays per foul is literally unmatched in the NBA this season.  That’s an invaluable player profile to winning team ball.  Just as I expected from looking at his numbers this summer, he doesn’t stop the ball on offense yet does on defense.  That’s the type of team ball I most prefer, regardless of the at-times hideous lack of scoring.  He’s like a poor man’s Iggy.  And what is Andre Igoudala’s career net rating?  +6.  Same as Wright.

And the HS search doohickeythingee continues to be contrary on this side of the internet, but if it's ever made to be a kinder gentler engine, I might dig up where I proposed preseason that the GM might be wise to have some conversation with Delon's agent about what an extension might cost.

To the howls and scowls of Hawksquawkers every where, as I recall... hehe.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

oh i don't know.   He envisions himself a playmaking guard yet we seem to be developing him as a PF/C.   I'm concerned about that. 

To be fair, at the time of this quote, both Simmons and LeBron were both playing the point guard position for their teams. However, I'd consider their skill sets to be best utilized as playmaking point forwards. JJ was likely referring more to their passing abilities and skill sets at their size. JJ does have some of these similarities, just needs more time to develop them. 

Draft Combine Interview (@5:40 & 8:15): https://www.si.com/nba/thunder/video/watch-talented-duke-forward-jalen-johnsons-draft-combine-interview?jwsource=cl

I agree it does matter how JJ is developed by the staff and that should be a concern. However, if the Hawks are trying to trade for Ben Simmons, why not develop JJ who may naturally provide similar skill sets (plus a jumper), be a cheaper option, and not gut the team/mess with chemistry. Although JJ's shown flashes of these similar skill sets, he'll likely need way more time and work on both sides before he's able to play that similar style at an impactful level. Regardless, having both JJ and Coop developing in GLeague is quite a luxury.