• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Another Jake Fischer Article

Mikey

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sturt said:

Well, yes. But also no.

"Yes," they were true on the face of it... Schlenk was indeed engaging teams to try to move him.

But "no," to the degree that those rumors presumed it was Schlenk looking to move him because it originally was Schlenk's idea... that was, we now know, the player's behind closed doors request.

So, I don't take that as meaningful to this since I don't have any reason to presume any of these players are like Cam in that way.

As said... and as Schlenk himself strongly intimated prior to the Cam trade... he was wondering aloud whether his presumptions about the need to bring this team back mostly intact were just him fooling himself... and so I have no doubt that there was plausibly merit to these Fischer rumors that @Mikey has cited.

Past tense.

I... me... just my opinion... see no way that Schlenk is talking today in any serious way about moving any of the key pieces of this roster, though due diligence demands that he always listen in case that jaw-dropping offer is ever made, of course.

Except, IIRC the rumors about a Cam trade occurred at the trade deadline last year, prior to Cam asking out in the offseason.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Sothron said:

The consolidation trade is the natural logical conclusion that if you aren't/can't pay everyone or play everyone then you bundle them up for one better player.

It is one option/conclusion. I have to grant that.

It is not the only option/conclusion. Right?

Happens every off-season that teams decide to let a player leave in free agency, no?

Sure, you'd prefer to get some value for a player, but then again, sometimes GMs prudently decide that they're not being offered enough in trade and/or that the player(s) in question is/are too valuable to the current season's post-season hopes to let them go.

So, no... that's not true that it's "the" natural conclusion. It's one. There are others.

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

I do want to say Travis said it on a radio interview at some point but that could be my faulty memory.

39 minutes ago, Mikey said:

He has definitely said it multiple times in interviews on the radio and during the offseason pressers he has provided.

Good then. It shouldn't be hard for someone to correct me.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Except, IIRC the rumors about a Cam trade occurred at the trade deadline last year, prior to Cam asking out in the offseason.

Agreed. But then... IIRC... Schlenk's comments have only given insight into the most recent rumors since Cam's request... there is no indication prior to draft night, as far as I'm aware, that any 2021 in-season rumors were accurate... indeed, many of those as I recall were couched in the writer's stated presumption that the Hawks couldn't keep everyone, and since Reddish wasn't the starter, he was their natural go-to target in trade ideas.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Hawks offered

Me, I'm more comfortable with a slightly different verb, being on the outside here...

Hawks discussed.

More of a "what if we constructed a traded along these lines" approach than a "we want to give you" approach.

Maybe the latter is more accurate. But I can't know, so I'll choose to assume the less abrasive, if only to make me feel better about the whole thing. 🙂 ... but then again, who knows... maybe the former is indeed accurate.

Mr. Schrodinger, would you like to weigh in on this?

2 hours ago, sturt said:

The opinion is my own. And yeah, I say it with my chest, even though you don't get to see my chest... hehe... well... and you should thank me for that much.

OK.  So you believe TS shares your exact opinion.  I think that describes 90% of this board.  LOL. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This is how it works.  Hawks offered Collins in a Simmons trade.  Other teams get wind and call up the Hawks offering their scraps....all of a sudden Hawks shopping Collins for any pick and player.  Riiiight!!!

Eggsactly.

- "Hawks offer Collins for Simmons."

- "Hey we'll give you Taj Gibson for im."

Reports: Hawks shopping Collins!

Huh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

OK.  So you believe TS shares your exact opinion.  I think that describes 90% of this board.  LOL. 

Yes. And yes.

But, careful... no... that doesn't make one opinion as good as another as the statement might be intended to imply.

Some people listen to the GM. And later, they have some degree of recall. Some. Not perfect, nor perfectly imperfect. Some.

Some people don't bother listening first-hand but gather from others' comments what the GM may have said.

Some people not only listen, they make a study of his words and compare his words to other words in the interest of constructing working theories... and yes, that's all they are, "theories," admittedly... for how the GM will act... or not act... in the future.

But then, short of having insider intel from people with their own direct access to the GM... of those three "peoples" above, it's not unreasonable to give special gravity to opinions being proposed by that third subset of people.

3 hours ago, sturt said:

I say it with my chest, even though you don't get to see my chest... hehe... well... and you should thank me for that much.

tenor.gif .... hehe

Almost every time two GM's are on the phone together, we have discussed _______ . would apply.  That's why they talked.  They don't call each other to discuss the weather!

Now, posters, you being Travis, what do you do?  Hawks have two good players that are on two way contracts.  We know that we don't want to lose either one.  The upcoming draft has three first round picks and some second round picks.

Current roster is finally healthy and ready to go.  Last night, our second team came into the game and played much better than the starters.  Starters were a different team when they came back into the game.

Players under contract are very desireable.  So are draft picks.  

If I were a GM of a poor team with one great player I would call and offer one for many.  

What do you do?

🕵️‍♂️

32 minutes ago, sturt said:

It is one option/conclusion. I have to grant that.

It is not the only option/conclusion. Right?

Happens every off-season that teams decide to let a player leave in free agency, no?

Sure, you'd prefer to get some value for a player, but then again, sometimes GMs prudently decide that they're not being offered enough in trade and/or that the player(s) in question is/are too valuable to the current season's post-season hopes to let them go.

So, no... that's not true that it's "the" natural conclusion. It's one. There are others.

Good then. It shouldn't be hard for someone to correct me.

“I still think when you look at the depth of our roster and the young talent that we have, we don’t have draft assets like we have in the past anymore, but we now have guys under contract that you could match some of the bigger salaries,” Schlenk said. “There wasn’t really those big guys — all those rumors guys were going to ask for trades and it didn’t really come to fruition. So you never really know, and in today’s NBA, those guys can kind of pick where they’re going to go, too. It’s not like the good old days where you make the best offer and you get the guy.

“But I think last year kind of put us back on the NBA map as far as a destination. Those who want to get traded, they want to go somewhere they think they can win. And I think now that perception of us is out there, because we do have a young core that did show success in the playoffs. So the hope would be when a star player does ask to be traded, we’ll be one of the destinations he’ll be open to coming to.”

this is just one quote i quickly found. id look up his introductory press conference cause I believe he said something there too

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, Mikey said:

So the hope would be when a star player does ask to be traded, we’ll be one of the destinations he’ll be open to coming to.

Right. I recall this from early August. And the takeaway from that, to me, was this... his summarizing sentence to which all of that led up to.

I grant you, yes, absolutely, he makes clear that he's going to be open to the possibility if it arises, and he even voices some glee that he's now in a position, though not having draft picks to tempt another team with a star, to offer them some young talent on contracts that can match.

But the context of his words as relayed by Kirschner was, importantly, in answer to a direct scenario that Kirschner himself proposed... not... to the point of this conversation... something that should imply this was part of "the plan."...

Schlenk was asked about where he stands when it comes to the possibility of getting into the mix for a second star and the feasibility of such a move.

To the contrary... this was what followed those quotes, @Mikey ... which it serves to reason you wouldn't have preferred to cite since it pretty much debunks the conclusion you prefer to tout...

2022-01-27_13-00-57.png

I do think people (eg, @Mikey ) have to be granted some grace, though, because I do think--based on just this very thing, where Kirschner has constantly been clearly making statements about his own thinking as a matter of what's implied by his questions.... ie, Kirschner clearly believes Schlenk should and will eventually make a consolidation trade.

And because Kirschner is who he is, it's easy to presume that Kirschner is being led to that conclusion, instead of the possibility if not likelihood that Kirschner is just full of himself enough to believe that he knows better how this team's roster should be constructed than even the GM does... and so, he's on mission sometimes to get the GM to agree with his thinking.

That's my thinking, anyhow. For what it's worth, maybe nothing.

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Right. I recall this from early August. And the takeaway from that, to me, was this... his summarizing sentence to which all of that led up to.

I grant you, yes, absolutely, he makes clear that he's going to be open to the possibility if it arises, and he even voices some glee that he's now in a position, though not having draft picks to tempt another team with a star, to offer them some young talent on contracts that can match.

But the context of his words as relayed by Kirschner was, importantly, in answer to a direct scenario that Kirschner himself proposed... not... to the point of this conversation... something that should imply this was part of "the plan."...

To the contrary... this was what followed those quotes, @Mikey ... which it serves to reason you wouldn't have preferred to cite since it pretty much debunks the conclusion you prefer to tout...

2022-01-27_13-00-57.png

I do think people (eg, @Mikey ) have to be granted some grace, though, because I do think--based on just this very thing, where Kirschner has constantly been clearly making statements about his own thinking as a matter of what's implied by his questions.... ie, Kirschner clearly believes Schlenk should and will eventually make a consolidation trade.

And because Kirschner is who he is, it's easy to presume that Kirschner is being led to that conclusion, instead of the possibility if not likelihood that Kirschner is just full of himself enough to believe that he knows better how this team's roster should be constructed than even the GM does... and so, he's on mission sometimes to get the GM to agree with his thinking.

That's my thinking, anyhow. For what it's worth, maybe nothing.

I think your looking too deep into it lol. But i can't go through every interview he has done to find it. If i come across the specific interview he laid out his plan which ended with consolidation I will send it your way.

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I still don't know what that word means.  I refuse to Google it.

I miss pre Google days when I would tell a friend Vladimir Radmanovic averages 5 assists and him being unable to look it up and trusting I was up to date on my newspaper 🗞 NBA stat data.

Ok maybe not Radman, he was early 2000’s no? How bout Vladimir Stepania. I remember I used to say his name a lot like a crazy person for no reason.

Anyhooooo, OT but @Sothron you got a Wolves 🐺 man 👨 onesie I could borrow for tonight’s game. I like to be comfortable     if possible. Thanks.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

I dont think he actually believed in the team he build preseason. More so he brought everybody back because its better than the alternative (letting assets walk for free). He has always said that a consolidation deal was a part of the plan and seems like right now they accumulating assets to do so

JC even on draft night was picked because of value more than because of fitting Schlenk’s vision imo. He wasn’t going to just let him walk. I supported the re-signing because I felt like he has positive trade value at this price, so I’m not surprised.

I do think Kevin is more in line with his stated vision and I would be surprised if he gets moved unless it’s a bigger deal for a clearly better player. Could have been the Celtics asking for Kevin and the Hawks saying no on that one.

Edited by terrell