• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Another Jake Fischer Article

Mikey

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

“I still think when you look at the depth of our roster and the young talent that we have, we don’t have draft assets like we have in the past anymore, but we now have guys under contract that you could match some of the bigger salaries,” Schlenk said. “There wasn’t really those big guys — all those rumors guys were going to ask for trades and it didn’t really come to fruition. So you never really know, and in today’s NBA, those guys can kind of pick where they’re going to go, too. It’s not like the good old days where you make the best offer and you get the guy.

“But I think last year kind of put us back on the NBA map as far as a destination. Those who want to get traded, they want to go somewhere they think they can win. And I think now that perception of us is out there, because we do have a young core that did show success in the playoffs. So the hope would be when a star player does ask to be traded, we’ll be one of the destinations he’ll be open to coming to.”

this is just one quote i quickly found. id look up his introductory press conference cause I believe he said something there too

Some of these rumors make you wonder if TS resigned Collins and extended Kev just to increase their value as trade assets.

Edited by terrell

1 hour ago, terrell said:

Some of these rumors make you wonder if TS resigned Collins and extended Kev just to increase their value as trade assets.

Wouldn't say to increase their trade assets. I think kevin is on a great deal for a rotational piece. John was 100% resigned to have a large salary they could shell out later when needed. Maintain competitiveness in the short term but still have the added flexbility for when a star is available long term

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Mikey said:

I think your looking too deep into it lol. But i can't go through every interview he has done to find it. If i come across the specific interview he laid out his plan which ended with consolidation I will send it your way.

It is not a surprise that you wouldn't prefer that I looked into it so deep... that I quoted the GM's very next words. I mean, if that's "too" deep... *sigh*

I also don't pretend to know every thing that Schlenk has ever said publicly, but I will say it's rare that he has ever been quoted in any regular popular source that most of us would know about, or that he's appeared on a broadcast or been heard on a talk show... that I didn't take it in.

However, Schlenk hasn't routinely been the kind of person to be duplicitous. If he says something about his plans, it almost always evolves to happen in some shape or form. If there is ever any contradiction, it's typically been because someone tried to paste together something he may have said early in his tenure with something he's said more recently--which on its face is taking things out of context for one's own purposes to push some conclusion.

Not holding my breath, then, that I should expect anything "sent my way" anytime soon. But/and, I have to just say, your want to be right on this so badly that you cherry-picked the previous quote out of the before and after from the very same article... that's what leads to the assumption I can breathe deeply, without concern.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, kg01 said:

I still don't know what that word means.  I refuse to Google it.

Too bad. Google gives a super-helpful definition right off the bat:

image.png

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Sothron said:

Let's don't get bogged down in pedantics here.

Respect you brother.

But on this one, for some reason, there's an allergy to the GM's own words and a simultaneous appetite for cherry-picking the GM's own words to fit a desired conclusion.

If that weren't the case, folks like yourself, instead of taking the dismissive deflection and labeling route ("pedantics"), would have chosen to just respond with substance.

Look. It's not my fault that when you read the entirety of what the GM said, his words explicitly make clear that he's been banking on this set of players to internally develop into something special.

To your point, yes... I already said this... the GM is clearly gleeful that he's in a better position to make a trade for a star, were one to become available... answering Kirschner's hypothetical.

And/but that doesn't reverse what his intentions were and have been.

Indeed, his recent radio rant preceding the Cam trade only further affirms that his perception had previously been that this team would develop stars from within--otherwise why would he have said (paraphrasing but I can go look up exact words of course) he's had to re-evaluate his own thinking, and consider if some trades needed to be made after all.

I repeat... no one can deny that saying "that will never happen"... in this case, a consolidation trade... is to pretend oneself to be omniscient instead of fallible. It could happen. But that's not what we're discussing here... some (you? Mikey? others?) are asserting it's the plan that the GM has long held to make a consolidation trade.

There remains no evidence that that's been his thinking. Rather, he has explicitly told us his plan is internal development with this young core... undeniably.... and nothing "pedantic" about reading his actual words in context and believing he was being truthful.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I know he never had a long term plan of a consolidation trade but when the owner says we're not paying everyone and we're not keeping everyone...that changes a GM's plans.

And for @Mikey benefit that was one interview. You can't quote radio interviews. I have no interest in trying to parse out every interview/statement from Travis from his hire until now to see if he ever used the words "consolidation trade". 

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I know he never had a long term plan of a consolidation trade

jim-halpert-gif-6.gif

15 minutes ago, Sothron said:

when the owner says we're not paying everyone and we're not keeping everyone...that changes a GM's plans.

If one assumes that it was in the GM's plans to "keep everyone," my first reaction is, that's one disconnected-from-NBA-reality GM. Highly doubt the GM had to change his plans, since I do not take Travis Schlenk to be a dolt.

Indeed, this is what Ressler said specifically... how is any of this somehow inconsistent with what he'd ever said previously... it's almost Owner-Speak 101, in fact, in the chapter that discusses when you're previously cheap team starts getting good.

G'nite.

2022-01-27_22-25-56.png

• Premium Member

Aaah yes - this again - mind reading Schlenk. Just because he says something doesn't mean he actually intends to do it or not. Like this:

“We are a little light at the big spot obviously with (Okongwu) being out, so maybe we’ll look to address that on a non-guaranteed deal ...

Then he kept TLC.

• Premium Member

1. No, no, no. Don't do that. Schlenk did do what he said he was going to do still... he just said he and his HC decided to play Dre more at PF, filling that void then. The void didn't go away. He just chose a different remedy. YOU were right, by the way... to emphasize the "maybe" in that quote. Have to give you credit, even though you're not real anxious to reciprocate... hehe.

2. No again. Please read closer. I know I write too much for some people's tastes, and you've said as much on occasion. But you're mistaking the tipping point issue... (clipped from above... )

2022-01-27_22-45-48.png

Atlanta would be willing to go over the line into the tax paying if we have a great team.  This has to mean that if we don't have a great team then someone must go so that we will be under the tax.

Not hard to understand at all.

:hi:

• Like 2

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Aye, verily.

Soth, I just reviewed the so-called pedantics, or what I would call just fans discussing an issue but that's just me (perhaps)... and I see that in the earliest posts, it was only Mikey who was stating in absolute terms that it was always the GM's plan to make a consolidation trade eventually.

Your take wasn't exactly that. Your take was, as I understood it, the GM has evolved to seek a consolidation trade. You imagine a scenario where the GM hadn't ascended yet to the idea that the team wouldn't be able to keep every player, so when the owner said that that's practically a given though they would certainly seek to keep the best players... it's been your perception that that forced the GM to re-think his plans.

Of course, that's still not supported by the whole of what the GM has said (ie, based on the evidence we have on the proverbial Hawksquawk table).

(And again the man just in the last month spoke on radio emphatically that he was beginning to perceive he might need to think differently about this roster.... so it's difficult then to understand why he would make that statement if he'd always intended to make a consolidation trade, or even if as you prefer to think of it, that he'd already evolved to that conclusion.)

But it merits distinguishing between the two POVs b/t the two of you...

Repeating for emphasis since it doesn't seem to have sunk in with very many paying this vein of conversation some attention...

I'm not omniscient. I'm a flawed, fallible human being. So I can't rule out the GM changing his mind on x, y or z. We may lose every game between now and the trade deadline, and who could be surprised then if he did make a consolidation trade splash(?). Not me. Not many.

But to the point here, it's a sober assessment to say it's not been his history to change big picture intentions, but rather, what course corrections he makes tend to be smaller picture. In other words, his objectives rarely if ever change, but his approach to meeting his objectives sometimes does (... see Jay's example above).

Done. Put to bed. Exhausted by the pedantics, even if they're mostly my own. Moving on. Still much respect for your thoughts and opinions otherwise.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, sturt said:

Soth, I just reviewed the so-called pedantics, or what I would call just fans discussing an issue but that's just me (perhaps)... and I see that in the earliest posts, it was only Mikey who was stating in absolute terms that it was always the GM's plan to make a consolidation trade eventually.

Your take wasn't exactly that. Your take was, as I understood it, the GM has evolved to seek a consolidation trade. You imagine a scenario where the GM hadn't ascended yet to the idea that the team wouldn't be able to keep every player, so when the owner said that that's practically a given though they would certainly seek to keep the best players... it's been your perception that that forced the GM to re-think his plans.

Of course, that's still not supported by the whole of what the GM has said (ie, based on the evidence we have on the proverbial Hawksquawk table).

(And again the man just in the last month spoke on radio emphatically that he was beginning to perceive he might need to think differently about this roster.... so it's difficult then to understand why he would make that statement if he'd always intended to make a consolidation trade, or even if as you prefer to think of it, that he'd already evolved to that conclusion.)

But it merits distinguishing between the two POVs b/t the two of you...

Repeating for emphasis since it doesn't seem to have sunk in with very many paying this vein of conversation some attention...

I'm not omniscient. I'm a flawed, fallible human being. So I can't rule out the GM changing his mind on x, y or z. We may lose every game between now and the trade deadline, and who could be surprised then if he did make a consolidation trade splash(?). Not me. Not many.

But to the point here, it's a sober assessment to say it's not been his history to change big picture intentions, but rather, what course corrections he makes tend to be smaller picture. In other words, his objectives rarely if ever change, but his approach to meeting his objectives sometimes do (... see Jay's example above).

Done. Put to bed. Exhausted by the pedantics, even if they're mostly my own. Moving on. Still much respect for your thoughts and opinions otherwise.

I'm just ribbing you. I know you don't mean anything malicious. 🙂

• Like 1