• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Playoff Game Thread: heat at Hawks -- GAME 4

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Plus Hunter by himself is shooting over 57% from the field and over 47% from 3 for the series. Are you expectations higher than that????

It doesn't matter what you do when the game is over.   It matters what you do to keep the game from being over. 

I didn't see Shades of Dominique in Hunter's play.   Being that every freakin play he's wide the f*** open should tell you that Miami is daring him to beat them.   They know that he can't.   The good news is that he started games 3 and 4 doing very well.  However, he has to stop allowing them to push him around (#1) and he has to make quicker good decisions with the ball (#2) and he has to protect the ball at all cost (#3). 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Diesel said:

Being that every freakin play he's wide the f*** open should tell you that Miami is daring him to beat them.  

I guess your definition of wide open differs from mine because there were only 2-3 instances when he was wide open and only 1 involved Trae Young. But keep believing the company line if that makes you feel better about Trae Young.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Diesel said:

he has to stop allowing them to push him around (#1) and he has to make quicker good decisions with the ball (#2) and he has to protect the ball at all cost (#3). 

:good:....Hopefully an offseason of training and skill work instead of rehabbing will help him in those areas.

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Plus Hunter by himself is shooting over 57% from the field and over 47% from 3 for the series. Are you expectations higher than that????

Hunter is being left open and hasn't punished Miami enough to make them want to cover him.  

My expectations are not higher than that because I don't think Hunter is an impact scorer.  After his opening month of his second season, I had hopes that his default would be ~18 ppg player he was over those games but that hasn't happened with him returning to his career norm of ~13 ppg.  As an 18 ppg baseline player, if you leave him open he can boost those #s by 50% and end up in the mid to high 20's punishing a team for taking that approach.  Him boosting his #s from 13 to 17 is about what I'd expect with the defense focused elsewhere and I'm not critical of his scoring.  He just doesn't have the tools to take it to another level except on a once in a while basis so all you can really ask is for him to make good use of these opportunities and he has done that.  It isn't enough to move the needle but that isn't a fair demand on him at least as I see his upside at this stage in his career.

He is having a generally fine series scoring on those good looks and making an impact on defense.  I'd like to see him rebounding more, creating more for his teammates, and generating more deflections, steals, blocks, etc. on defense but we've seen him all year and expecting something different in the playoffs isn't fair to him (even though I'd be thrilled to see it if it happened).

Long term, he is still young enough to keep developing so I hope he'll continue to improve and be able to transcend the solid two-way role player type of role that he has this season and this series.  As a comparison, I'd love to see him duplicate the numbers OG Anunoby puts up across the board (~17 points, ~5-6 rebounds, ~2 blocks + steals, ~3 assists per game) as he continues to improve.

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, AHF said:

Long term, he is still young enough to keep developing so I hope he'll continue to improve and be able to transcend the solid two-way role player type of role that he has this season and this series.  As a comparison, I'd love to see him duplicate the numbers OG Anunoby puts up across the board (~17 points, ~5-6 rebounds, ~2 blocks + steals, ~3 assists per game) as he continues to improve.

Our starting SG and SF averaged 12.1 and 13.4 ppg respectively.  I was thinking one of them needs to be averaging at least 18ppg.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Our starting SG and SF averaged 12.1 and 13.4 ppg respectively.  I was thinking one of them needs to be averaging at least 18ppg.

We covered this...Hunter was coming off of 2 major injuries. Does that not matter. Injuries matter when Trae stinks...why not anybody else?

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

We covered this...Hunter was coming off of 2 major injuries. Does that not matter. Injuries matter when Trae stinks...why not anybody else?

....and I have acknowledged both those injuries as having set back his development.

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

It doesn't matter as far as where the team is currently and why the season has not lived up to expectations.  It matters when you assess Hunter's potential and development to date.  I think Jay is firmly in the boat of people who have acknowledged that as a reason our #4 pick hasn't made as much progress as some fans were hoping for (especially, again, after that strong start to the prior season which raised the bar for expectations considerably for many Hawks fans).

• Like 1

I don't think Nate survives as a head coach this season.  The guy is totally lost in this series. He left Trea without help and Heat took advantage of it. On the other hand, Bogi who almost won 2 games in a row playes 20 mins instead of playing 40 mins. Like why? Because he missed 2-3 shots when being down by 15. Everybody knows that it's much easier to score when you're up 10 than when you're down 10. Trea didn't have space to operate as without Bogi there is no scoring treat on the floor. Frank Vogel us out there so go and get a real coach

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Nash said:

I don't think Nate survives as a head coach this season.  The guy is totally lost in this series. He left Trea without help and Heat took advantage of it. On the other hand, Bogi who almost won 2 games in a row playes 20 mins instead of playing 40 mins. Like why? Because he missed 2-3 shots when being down by 15. Everybody knows that it's much easier to score when you're up 10 than when you're down 10. Trea didn't have space to operate as without Bogi there is no scoring treat on the floor. Frank Vogel us out there so go and get a real coach

Welcome to the board Frank  er whoever you are.  

Seriously though welcome.  Or have you been on before?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

Welcome to the board Frank  er whoever you are.  

Seriously though welcome.  Or have you been on before?

Thanks! I am new on the board. Been reading the bored for a few years now but wasn't able to post as I couldn't register for some reason. I thought Canada was a problem but finally one of the administrators helped and now I can post lol

• Like 3

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Nash said:

Thanks! I am new on the board. Been reading the bored for a few years now but wasn't able to post as I couldn't register for some reason. I thought Canada was a problem but finally one of the administrators helped and now I can post lol

Canada eh?  That makes sense.   I was a big Nash fan.  I guess i still am but not wild about his coaching the Nets. 

2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Canada eh?  That makes sense.   I was a big Nash fan.  I guess i still am but not wild about his coaching the Nets. 

Is there anyway to edit the text after you post? I don't see it but I may be missing some thing 

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, Nash said:

Welcome, welcome!!

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Nash said:

Cap is great.  Glad to have you aboard!