• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Lukastans are biting at the bit to take a shot at Trae

NBASupes

On 4/26/2022 at 1:12 PM, shakes said:

now that Disney has all the Marvel Netflix shows I really hope they bring back Jessica Jones for another season.  Or maybe even bring her into a movie like they did with Daredevil in the latest Spidey movie?  In the comics Jessica went to the same high school as a certain Peter Parker.

Disney needs to go out of business for several reasons. Not all of them political or whatever either.

Do they even care about Peter Parker now that they have a tokenized version ?

• Moderators
Just now, Plainview1981 said:

Do they even care about Peter Parker now that they have a tokenized version ?

What does this mean?  The (Disney) MCU's Peter Parker has had 3 solo movies (made on a profit sharing arrangement with Sony who owns the exclusive license to all things under the Spiderman IP) and he has been in 3 other MCU movies.  A new trilogy of Peter Parker Spiderman movies involving Disney has already been announced.

So not sure what the tokenized version is, why you think Disney could use such a version without getting a new deal cut with Sony, or why you would think Disney would ever not be interested in a profit machine like Peter Parker.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AHF said:

What does this mean?  The (Disney) MCU's Peter Parker has had 3 solo movies (made on a profit sharing arrangement with Sony who owns the exclusive license to all things under the Spiderman IP) and he has been in 3 other MCU movies.  A new trilogy of Peter Parker Spiderman movies involving Disney has already been announced.

So not sure what the tokenized version is, why you think Disney could use such a version without getting a new deal cut with Sony, or why you would think Disney would ever not be interested in a profit machine like Peter Parker.

I'm being half serious, but it feels like they want Miles Morales to become the thing even though he isn't selling well. People that are following closely understand the direction that the entertainment biz is going in.

Granted, I'm more of a Batman guy than a SM person, but Miles Morales seems like a mostly meaningless character that is being shoehorned in as part of the Universe because of obvious reasons...

Not because he is interesting in terms of characterization, but because of  an agenda that is very superficial.

Here is example: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-31362800.amp

Edited by Plainview1981

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Disney has no film rights to Miles Morales.  Sony owns the movie rights to the character.  So I have no idea where you are coming from on this.  There are more than 50 different Spiderman/Spiderwoman characters in the comics.  Peter Parker, Miles Morales, Gwen Stacey, Miguel O’Hara, Ashley Barton, Cindy Moon, Hobart Brown, Ben Reilly, May Parker, Penelope Parker, Peter Porker, Gerald Drew, etc. etc.   I can't possibly name them all.  Comics like to do different things and the number of "Spidermen/women" is huge.

Miles Morales was the lead in a hugely successful movie for Sony so you will definitely see Sony continue to work with that character.  Into the Spiderverse is in the discussion for best ever Spiderman movie (it has better reviews than any Spiderman movie in history) and had like 8 versions of the character just in that one movie.

My son loved Into the Spiderverse.. lol

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, AHF said:

I feel bad for anyone that didn't.  

I had an attitude problem as a kid.. (ya surprising I know) and to calm me down I remember my gammy would always play my favorite Spider-Man puzzle 🧩 to help calm my mind. 

The Incredible Hulk was actually my fav one of all, due to the fact that we both shared a bit of an anger issue. :laugh1:

But Spida was right there.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

I'm being half serious, but it feels like they want Miles Morales to become the thing even though he isn't selling well. People that are following closely understand the direction that the entertainment biz is going in.

Granted, I'm more of a Batman guy than a SM person, but Miles Morales seems like a mostly meaningless character that is being shoehorned in as part of the Universe because of obvious reasons...

Not because he is interesting in terms of characterization, but because of  an agenda that is very superficial.

Here is example: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-31362800.amp

Respectfully, the agenda is yours alone.  @AHF speaks truth.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

agenda that is very superficial.

It's not superficial.  Perception matters.  These comics were largely written in the 30s/40s/50s and all of the protagonist heroes were white because our country was very racist at the time, institutionally and otherwise.  The first mainstream minority superhero didn't arrive for like 3 decades (Black Panther during the civil rights movement) -- so unless you want nothing but white men superheroes, the only way to change that is to pick up more recent scripts like Miles Morales.  

I don't have children but if I did, I would want them to have superheroes they could feel more connected to, or feel more relatable.  That's not even just race/gender or other identity politics -- maybe it's just personality of the characters or whatever, but everyone self-identifies in different ways.  I also think this is important in films/shows -- there's subtle but very real internalization of what you consume in media.  If every nurse you see is a white woman, and you're not a white woman, you might never consider that a possibility for your career or whatever else.  I could go on here, but I think the main point is that the Marvel Universe set of movies is massive and the character roster is huge.  They don't even need force it to have diverse representation across their films, so I don't see why it's something that would bother anyone.  It's not like they're casting Tom Cruise as a Samurai.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, AHF said:

Disney has no film rights to Miles Morales.  Sony owns the movie rights to the character.  So I have no idea where you are coming from on this.  There are more than 50 different Spiderman/Spiderwoman characters in the comics.  Peter Parker, Miles Morales, Gwen Stacey, Miguel O’Hara, Ashley Barton, Cindy Moon, Hobart Brown, Ben Reilly, May Parker, Penelope Parker, Peter Porker, Gerald Drew, etc. etc.   I can't possibly name them all.  Comics like to do different things and the number of "Spidermen/women" is huge.

Miles Morales was the lead in a hugely successful movie for Sony so you will definitely see Sony continue to work with that character.  Into the Spiderverse is in the discussion for best ever Spiderman movie (it has better reviews than any Spiderman movie in history) and had like 8 versions of the character just in that one movie.

I'm speaking in the intent of Disney and what they desire to do because the topic was about Disney and Spiderman.

The brand will always lead to some good sales but it's not because Miles is that interesting as a character, but it's the basic idea of his existence as it relates to certain narratives that are being pushed on society by the media and such.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

I'm speaking in the intent of Disney and what they desire to do because the topic was about Disney and Spiderman.

The brand will always lead to some good sales but it's not because Miles is that interesting as a character, but it's the basic idea of his existence as it relates to certain narratives that are being pushed on society by the media and such.

But Disney doesn't own the movie rights and isn't involved in the comics side of things.  I'm not sure where you think Disney is entering the picture on this.  The only Spiderman stuff Disney is doing right now are Peter Parker movies.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AHF said:

But Disney doesn't own the movie rights and isn't involved in the comics side of things.  I'm not sure where you think Disney is entering the picture on this.  The only Spiderman stuff Disney is doing right now are Peter Parker movies.

Because Disney is a talking point right now..

22 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

It's not superficial.  Perception matters.  These comics were largely written in the 30s/40s/50s and all of the protagonist heroes were white because our country was very racist at the time, institutionally and otherwise.  The first mainstream minority superhero didn't arrive for like 3 decades (Black Panther during the civil rights movement) -- so unless you want nothing but white men superheroes, the only way to change that is to pick up more recent scripts like Miles Morales.  

I don't have children but if I did, I would want them to have superheroes they could feel more connected to, or feel more relatable.  That's not even just race/gender or other identity politics -- maybe it's just personality of the characters or whatever, but everyone self-identifies in different ways.  I also think this is important in films/shows -- there's subtle but very real internalization of what you consume in media.  If every nurse you see is a white woman, and you're not a white woman, you might never consider that a possibility for your career or whatever else.  I could go on here, but I think the main point is that the Marvel Universe set of movies is massive and the character roster is huge.  They don't even need force it to have diverse representation across their films, so I don't see why it's something that would bother anyone.  It's not like they're casting Tom Cruise as a Samurai.

LOTS of Americans wish they could go back to the 30s/40s... That's why it bothers them... Just sayin..

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Create an original franchise that appeals to minorities instead of creating a character to piggy back off of a successful franchise in order to do what is a race swap basically.

That's what tokenization is. Miles seems to follow somewhat along the same path as PP. But the long term goal is to make him a replacement based race. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

Create an original franchise that appeals to minorities instead of creating a character to piggy back off of a successful franchise in order to do what is a race swap basically.

That's what tokenization is. Miles seems to follow somewhat along the same path as PP. But the long term goal is to make him a replacement based race. 

There are more than 50 variations on Spider-Man.  One is a pig.  And none of them were created by Disney.

• Like 3

Just now, AHF said:

There are more than 50 variations on Spider-Man.  One is a pig.  And none of them were created by Disney.

This doesn't change what I'm saying. I understand that Disney doesn't have the main control over SM... But I know what Disney would do if they could.

And Miles Morales is basically Peter Parker with a different skin color.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, terrell said:

Because Disney is a talking point right now..

LOTS of Americans wish they could go back to the 30s/40s... That's why it bothers them... Just sayin..

I've discussed this before. I know the narrative is that if one doesn't like Miles Morales in terms of why he was created how he might be used and such that it must mean that person wants no minority main characters that are superheroes.

It isn't all that true.

Hollywood wasn't in the right back in the old days when they would simply cast white actors to play the role of Indians and such.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I agree about the tokenization. I hate it. Make POC movies and tv shows on original characters. Everyone here knows the story about how I was 11 or 12 and got jumped outside of a comic store by a racist white teenager because I bought Black Panther comics and I also am white which offended him. Apparently he had never jumped a kid brought up in a multi racial trailer park because after I gouged his eyes out he had no interest in what comics I was reading.

I do like Miles Morales but he's very much like Peter Parker. I'm not a fan of swapping people out under a mask or a costume. Stick to the source material. Prowler is a great Spiderverse character. Why not do more with him?

But is this Homecourt material? 

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

This doesn't change what I'm saying. I understand that Disney doesn't have the main control over SM... But I know what Disney would do if they could.

And Miles Morales is basically Peter Parker with a different skin color.

And again, I'm lost.   Seems like you are complaining about nothing that Disney is actually doing.  You are complaining about nothing that Disney has created.  Instead, you are complaining because of what you think Disney would theoretically do if they had control over Miles Morales.

And you think Disney would choose to get rid of one of the 2 most popular and profitable characters in all of comics because of "wokeness" or something.  I believe Disney will always choose green over black or white.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1