• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Lukastans are biting at the bit to take a shot at Trae

NBASupes

Axel Foley is one of my favorite action characters of all time.

He was his own deal in his own franchise. 

Guys like Eddie Murphy and Sho Kosugi were big influences on me as a kid because they brought something different to the table.

I understand that the black community wants heroes, but I don't think a black Peter Parker is a great thing. Just my opinion.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I agree about the tokenization. I hate it. Make POC movies and tv shows on original characters. Everyone here knows the story about how I was 11 or 12 and got jumped outside of a comic store by a racist white teenager because I bought Black Panther comics and I also am white which offended him. Apparently he had never jumped a kid brought up in a multi racial trailer park because after I gouged his eyes out he had no interest in what comics I was reading.

I do like Miles Morales but he's very much like Peter Parker. I'm not a fan of swapping people out under a mask or a costume. Stick to the source material. Prowler is a great Spiderverse character. Why not do more with him?

But is this Homecourt material? 

The season is over though. We're in a part of the year where the season is over, but there is no draft or moves to be made right now.

You got to talk about something, right?

I know what you mean man. I'm white also. I took some shit for my dating choices and some of my interest.

My sister gave me shit one time when she saw me watching Foxy Brown. Is thought it was absurd that I would find Pam Grier or that kind of movie appealing.

You got to have some variety.😄

16 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

Axel Foley is one of my favorite action characters of all time.

He was his own deal in his own franchise. 

Guys like Eddie Murphy and Sho Kosugi were big influences on me as a kid because they brought something different to the table.

I understand that the black community wants heroes, but I don't think a black Peter Parker is a great thing. Just my opinion.

I bet you had a fit when they came out with black barbie dolls.. smh

Edited by terrell
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

I'm being half serious, but it feels like they want Miles Morales to become the thing even though he isn't selling well. People that are following closely understand the direction that the entertainment biz is going in.

Granted, I'm more of a Batman guy than a SM person, but Miles Morales seems like a mostly meaningless character that is being shoehorned in as part of the Universe because of obvious reasons...

Not because he is interesting in terms of characterization, but because of  an agenda that is very superficial.

Here is example: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-31362800.amp

We might one day get a live action Miles Morales stand alone movie, but I don't think it will be anytime soon.  Tom Holland is box office gold and he's inked for 3 more stand alone films.  

Maybe at the end of that run we get a Miles Morales cameo or guest starring role which will bridge to his own film.

I do agree that MM is not as interesting at PP.    

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

It's not superficial.  Perception matters.  These comics were largely written in the 30s/40s/50s and all of the protagonist heroes were white because our country was very racist at the time, institutionally and otherwise.  The first mainstream minority superhero didn't arrive for like 3 decades (Black Panther during the civil rights movement) -- so unless you want nothing but white men superheroes, the only way to change that is to pick up more recent scripts like Miles Morales.  

I don't have children but if I did, I would want them to have superheroes they could feel more connected to, or feel more relatable.  That's not even just race/gender or other identity politics -- maybe it's just personality of the characters or whatever, but everyone self-identifies in different ways.  I also think this is important in films/shows -- there's subtle but very real internalization of what you consume in media.  If every nurse you see is a white woman, and you're not a white woman, you might never consider that a possibility for your career or whatever else.  I could go on here, but I think the main point is that the Marvel Universe set of movies is massive and the character roster is huge.  They don't even need force it to have diverse representation across their films, so I don't see why it's something that would bother anyone.  It's not like they're casting Tom Cruise as a Samurai.

being a Spidey comic nerd I have to nitpick the bold.  Spidey didn't make his debut till the 60s

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shakes said:

We might one day get a live action Miles Morales stand alone movie, but I don't think it will be anytime soon.  Tom Holland is box office gold and he's inked for 3 more stand alone films.  

Maybe at the end of that run we get a Miles Morales cameo or guest starring role which will bridge to his own film.

I do agree that MM is not as interesting at PP.    

Honestly, I'd prefer superhero movies take a step back and there be some grown up stuff.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, terrell said:

Because Disney is a talking point right now..

LOTS of Americans wish they could go back to the 30s/40s... That's why it bothers them... Just sayin..

I'd love to go back to the 30s.  A place where people wouldn't judge me for my refusal to wear underwear or brush my teeth.   SOunds like heaven to me....as long as I wasn't in Europe at the time, that could be bad news for me in the late 30s.

Edited by shakes
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, shakes said:

I'd love to go back to the 30s.  A place where people wouldn't judge me for my refusal to wear underwear or brush my teeth.

I think most people who want to go back to the 50's really want to go back to the idealized image of that era in their mind.  Don't know why anybody would want to go back to the Great Depression or World War II for the 30's and 40's.  

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Plainview1981 said:

Create an original franchise that appeals to minorities instead of creating a character to piggy back off of a successful franchise in order to do what is a race swap basically.

That's what tokenization is. Miles seems to follow somewhat along the same path as PP. But the long term goal is to make him a replacement based race. 

nothing you said here is incorrect.

I'm just glad Holland is inked for 3 more movies because he's the best who's ever worn the suit.  After that who knows what we'll get, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's Miles.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, terrell said:

Can we get back to Hawks basketball now?

sorry buddy, but this is far more interesting than the depressing season we all just experienced.

• Haha 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, shakes said:

nothing you said here is incorrect.

I'm just glad Holland is inked for 3 more movies because he's the best who's ever worn the suit.  After that who knows what we'll get, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's Miles.

If you haven't seen the Into the Spiderverse movie, it is worth your time.  I think there is room for more than one incarnation and that one doesn't have to push the other out.  How many different incarnations of Batman have we seen at this time?  If one was Terry McGinnis instead of Bruce Wayne that wouldn't be a problem.  Tell a good story and execute it with good direction and people will enjoy it.

9 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

Honestly, I'd prefer superhero movies take a step back and there be some grown up stuff.

Don't expect that to happen due to the money but I did watch Last Night In Soho on a recent flight and really enjoyed Edgar Wright's latest so I'd recommend that as a interesting one.

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

If you haven't seen the Into the Spiderverse movie, it is worth your time.  I think there is room for more than one incarnation and that one doesn't have to push the other out.  How many different incarnations of Batman have we seen at this time?  If one was Terry McGinnis instead of Bruce Wayne that wouldn't be a problem.  Tell a good story and execute it with good direction and people will enjoy it.

Don't expect that to happen due to the money but I did watch Last Night In Soho on a recent flight and really enjoyed Edgar Wright's latest so I'd recommend that as a interesting one.

Dude you're talking to a massive Spidey nerd.   He's like my Trae Young of comic books to put it in perspective 🙂  

To put it in perspective I just watched the No Way Home movie last week.  Why did I wait so long?  Because before I watched it If first rewatched every single Spidey movie ever made.    All the Toby McGuire movies, Garfield and all the Holland movies including Civil War and the two Avengers movies he was in.

So of course I've seen Into the Spiderverse.  Great movie.   I like Miles as a side character, but not as the main spider-man.   Would be all in on a live action team up between Holland and whoever they find to play Morales, but I want that down tjhe line.  Still too many solo Spidey movies i want to see get made.

• Premium Member

People who want to go back in the "good old days" are looking at it through white people's eyes and I say that as a white man with two degrees in history. No  POC would ever want to live through not just Jim Crow era but how the entire Western world viewed POC. 

So the 1930's to 1950's might be great for some people but very not good for others.