• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The cobbled together, stuff we held on to during the playoffs mega super rumor and team direction thread.

thecampster

• Premium Member
On 4/27/2022 at 7:36 AM, thecampster said:

Bogi – Management is very frustrated with his injury situation. Mad at their medical staff for clearing him. Bogi’s knee issues are suspected to be degenerative and will need to be managed. Bogi’s defense is opportunistic but a net negative in its own right. He is a terrible fit next to Trae. Huerter is not the long term answer and will eventually be on the bench but his defensive fit next to Trae was a necessity. If Bogi plays hard defense 1 night, his knee makes him useless the next….This is why Huerter is starting and why Bogi is the number 1 person on the trading block.

Time to move on from Bogi:

One of the problems that the Hawks faced, especially in the final game was that Bogdan Bogdanovic had bad news. When it was announced that he was out, news also came out that he had been experiencing severe knee pain for weeks.

No way Chelsea Lane would have cleared Bogi.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

19 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Time to move on from Bogi:

No way Chelsea Lane would have cleared Bogi.

This is sad because listening to his exit press conference last night he has the fire and passion and even said next season will be his best. He is motivated, but that still may not be enough. :blanky:

I love Bogi. I understand it’s a business. When he’s on though, he’s really special, I guess it’s a bad fit due to his athleticism next to Trae but I just love the passion from Bogi.

Does he have some chronic knee issues or is it the same injury?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

This is sad because listening to his exit press conference last night he has the fire and passion and even said next season will be his best. He is motivated, but that still may not be enough. :blanky:

I love Bogi. I understand it’s a business. When he’s on though, he’s really special, I guess it’s a bad fit due to his athleticism next to Trae but I just love the passion from Bogi.

Does he have some chronic knee issues or is it the same injury?

He had them in Sacramento

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

IMHO, JJ will be the second best Hawk in 4 years.  However, JJ is raw. He doesn't things so effortlessly that at times you think he should be the starter at 3 positions.  But he is raw. He misses reads constantly. Defensively especially, he's constantly relying on athleticism to get back into plays. He has some tunnel vision on things. 1 v 1 he is a very good defender already....but the NBA is rarely 1v1 any more.  He is totally unsure what to do on screens, clumsy on switches, loses his man behind off ball, gets boxed out easily because he's used to just jumping over everyone.

Don't get me wrong, he works but its the curse of just being better than everyone else you're whole life.  One day you get to the NBA and every can jump, everyone is strong, everyone can shoot and you have to learn the actual game.

Far too may people are one on one gods (little g) who never realize the ballet that is good basketball.  JJ has the IQ to be a great player and the will but his bbiq is just years behind others and the main culprit is his athleticism has kept him from having to learn the finer points. For example, leaning in the post, shrinking in the post, shuffling in the post are all things 6'5 Charles Barkley did (don't let the stats lie, he was 6'5") to create space so he could rebound. JJ never had to learn 1. He was just taller, broader shouldered and a better leaper than everyone. He got to the NBA and things in the post got real really quick.

On defense, the passes in high school aren't crisp, they float....they dwell in space and a cat like JJ can pick and run all day. He only gets a couple games in in college, gets to the NBA and G-leagues are whipping passes by his ears off ball fakes. It takes a while to catch up. He got caught in G-League early on gambling on passes that got there before he did and got beat in penetration a lot.  He's catching up but he did need time to figure out what he needed to learn. 

Excellent post.  It was so disappointing this year he couldn't get any helpful playing time when the similarly-skilled/ talented Kuminga was flourishing, Herb Jones was taken in the second round dazzling folks on the winning end, and Miami is developing multiple undrafteds smh.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

On JJ.  I’m patient.  Want to see more.  

I'm patient on both JJ and Cooper.  Neither had a chance this year.  Both were strong in the g-league.  IMO, both have potential to be important parts of the rotation down the line.  Not asking for either of them to be handed a job but do want both of them getting some developmental minutes and a bigger role to the extent they earn it.  They didn't have the chance to do that this year regardless of how ready they might have been at the end of the season.  TLC is never going to be an impact player.  Ever.  Kevin Knox is never going to make an impact in Atlanta.  Don't waste minutes on guys like that when you have guys like JJ.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

I say this:

Gallo and Bogi are done.    Maybe Capela.

Collins is not a number 2 option.    But, he is 24 and improves year to year.   

Huerter would be a great 6th man.   Young in age too.   

This will be the first time ever really that Hunter and OO have a full off-season on health to improve.   

• Premium Member

Any word on Hunter signing an extension?  I assume the team will at least make him an offer that is team-friendly, but I'm curious if there have been conversations yet and what the price tag for an extension will be.  I won't be surprised if he plays out this year and his RFA like Collins but it would be nice for Schlenk to know what we're working with as well.

@NBASupes @thecampster @Sothron

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Any word on Hunter signing an extension?  I assume the team will at least make him an offer that is team-friendly, but I'm curious if there have been conversations yet and what the price tag for an extension will be.  I won't be surprised if he plays out this year and his RFA like Collins but it would be nice for Schlenk to know what we're working with as well.

@NBASupes @thecampster @Sothron

He seems like a really hard player to value.  What you are suggesting makes sense to me.  He doesn't have the track record for a big deal but may view himself as worthy of one and look to improve next year to deliver it.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

He seems like a really hard player to value.  What you are suggesting makes sense to me.  He doesn't have the track record for a big deal but may view himself as worthy of one and look to improve next year to deliver it.  

Do not be surprised if the Lakers don't come sniffing around to take Hunter, Bogi and incentivize us to take a big contract.  The Lakers may have to pay a team some take Davis and a deal like Davis for CC/Hunter or Davis/Bazemore for CC/Bogi works. In both cases, LA would have to send draft compensation and/or a 3rd party could be involved (2024 pick at the earliest unless completed post draft).

You could also see Hunter packaged in a deal for Gobert with CC but the compensation gets flakier there.  Because Hunter is on the last year of his deal, unless the deal is extend and trade based, the trade partner risks losing him for nothing the next year.  So although his lower salary and age would normally improve his value, the unknowns drop it a peg or 2.

• Like 1

For those crapping on Davis, remember that he brings a facet to the game the Hawks have not had in a long time. He has a faceup game at the elbows and other mid range, some 3 point range (best from corners). His ability to stretch the floor at the 5 in all directions would be nightmarish coupled with Trae.  A Davis, JC pairing allows JC to become the lob threat again as the Center is no longer required to clog the middle. Health is the only concern but Davis has the benefit that Clint doesn't of being able to play both the 4 and the 5 and shoot from outside 5 feet.  Davis at the center would have drug Adebayo out of the lane.

• Like 4

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Do not be surprised if the Lakers don't come sniffing around to take Hunter, Bogi and incentivize us to take a big contract.  The Lakers may have to pay a team some take Davis and a deal like Davis for CC/Hunter or Davis/Bazemore for CC/Bogi works. In both cases, LA would have to send draft compensation and/or a 3rd party could be involved (2024 pick at the earliest unless completed post draft).

You could also see Hunter packaged in a deal for Gobert with CC but the compensation gets flakier there.  Because Hunter is on the last year of his deal, unless the deal is extend and trade based, the trade partner risks losing him for nothing the next year.  So although his lower salary and age would normally improve his value, the unknowns drop it a peg or 2.

LA destroyed their season from the start by bringing Westbrick in.  They are in a tough spot now.

With Hunter, bear in mind that he is a RFA though.  That lowers the risk a lot.  You have complete control whether to keep him or not.  So definitely lowers value but nothing like if he was an UFA.

3 minutes ago, thecampster said:

For those crapping on Davis, remember that he brings a facet to the game the Hawks have not had in a long time. He has a faceup game at the elbows and other mid range, some 3 point range (best from corners). His ability to stretch the floor at the 5 in all directions would be nightmarish coupled with Trae.  A Davis, JC pairing allows JC to become the lob threat again as the Center is no longer required to clog the middle. Health is the only concern but Davis has the benefit that Clint doesn't of being able to play both the 4 and the 5 and shoot from outside 5 feet.  Davis at the center would have drug Adebayo out of the lane.

I'm a huge Davis fan and would be excited if we get him but the health is very scary.

• Like 4