Pick #16.....


JayBirdHawk
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Premium Member

While it seems more likely than not we trade the pick this year, IF: 

1. We kept the pick, what position should we target and who should we select?

2. We trade the pick Capela style (we also traded #16 for him) who should we target for a player upgrade using the following scenarios:

-Gallo + #16 =

-Bogi + #16 =

-Huerter + #16 =

-Collins + #16 =

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Premium Member

If we kept the pick..

I like either:   

Jalen Duren (if he falls) or Mark Williams. 

I like Duren because he's a beast.   I like Williams because he's a 7 foot rim runner.  I like the idea of going after a 7 foot project center who could play strong against big guys. 

I like these picks because I think we may go after Ayton and the move may be Clint + OO for Ayton (SNT).  Or JC + OO for Ayton. 

Now if we had to put together a #16 for a Package:

 

Bogi/#16 for Burke/Noel. 

I've been going over and over our 2 guard position.   What would be best for us.  Actually, it's Alec Burke.   Before you snarl your teeth.  He's a classic 3 & D player.   Plays very good three and handles the ball so well that they used him at PG.  I believe that he can be the starter over Kev... and provide better shooting and better defense and a 2nd ball handler. 

Noel is an add in for the salary but he's a big tough guy.   You can never have too many of those.  Plus, he plays good defense. 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Premium Member
14 hours ago, Diesel said:

Actually, it's Alec Burke.   Before you snarl your teeth.  He's a classic 3 & D player.   Plays very good three and handles the ball so well that they used him at PG.  I believe that he can be the starter over Kev... and provide better shooting and better defen

I don't mind Burks. I just don't think he's worth the #16 pick. His range is more late 20's pick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Premium Member
57 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't mind Burks. I just don't think he's worth the #16 pick. His range is more late 20's pick.

I don't mind if we can get Burkes/Noel for Bogi and a 2nd.   I think Bogi is a good catch for the Knicks.   I like the package of Burkes and Noel as Defensive standouts.   Plus, Burke shoots above 40% from three and he's a good ball handler.   He's not the flashy guy, but I think next to Trae, he'll be what we need. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

As long as Nate is our coach then we have zero reason to ever pick in the draft again...

I wish that was hyperbole, but I'm not convinced it is. 

I’m not convinced this is true, but there is certainly an angry mob that believes Nate will/would never play a rookie.  Jalen and Cooper barely played in college.  Our team was so deep this year and we were behind the eight ball trying to make the playoffs.  Guys like TLC played, but we needed his defense over Jalen.  
 

Whatever validity there is to, “Nate will never play rookies!” I’m tired of hearing the line.  When do we get over this?  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Premium Member
23 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

I’m not convinced this is true, but there is certainly an angry mob that believes Nate will/would never play a rookie.  Jalen and Cooper barely played in college.  Our team was so deep this year and we were behind the eight ball trying to make the playoffs.  Guys like TLC played, but we needed his defense over Jalen.  
 

Whatever validity there is to, “Nate will never play rookies!” I’m tired of hearing the line.  When do we get over this?  

I did a deep dive into Nate's history.. since this is a Narrative.  This is what I found. 

2013.   Solomon Hill Draft.  As a rookie played in 28 games.  Started in 0 game.s... 8.1 mpg 

2015.  Myles Turner drafted.   As a rookie played 60 games.   Started in 30 games...   22.8 mpg. 

2018.  Aaron Holiday.  As a rookie played in 50 games.   Started in 0 games.  ... 12.9 mpg.

2019.  Goga Bitadze.  As a rookie played in 54 games.  Started in 2 games.  8.7 mpg.

 

I don't think it's true that Nate don't play rookies.  I think he does have a standard and a rotation.  Much of the numbers look the same as when Spo had Precious Achiuwa.  He played in 60 games at 12.1 mpg. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we keep the pick, I want a 3, 4 or a 3/4. I like Jeremy Sochan and Tari Eason if either of them are there. 

I don't think bundling #16 with the above players brings back anything substantial... we need something substantial - a star. And I'm fine with bundling more with the pick as far as players and picks to make that happen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Diesel said:

I did a deep dive into Nate's history.. since this is a Narrative.  This is what I found. 

2013.   Solomon Hill Draft.  As a rookie played in 28 games.  Started in 0 game.s... 8.1 mpg 

2015.  Myles Turner drafted.   As a rookie played 60 games.   Started in 30 games...   22.8 mpg. 

2018.  Aaron Holiday.  As a rookie played in 50 games.   Started in 0 games.  ... 12.9 mpg.

2019.  Goga Bitadze.  As a rookie played in 54 games.  Started in 2 games.  8.7 mpg.

 

I don't think it's true that Nate don't play rookies.  I think he does have a standard and a rotation.  Much of the numbers look the same as when Spo had Precious Achiuwa.  He played in 60 games at 12.1 mpg. 

 

 

I was one of the biggest Jalen fans after summer league.  I don’t get the tantrums people are having about his PT.  He could have played more but then we are most likely out of the playoffs.  Either way, can we get over it?  
 

I’m mostly excited about his potential.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

We will get over this when Nate actually plays a rookie meaningful minutes.  So far, it hasn't happened.

😪

Nellie had the same issue with rookies at GS in the late 80’s early 90’s gramps. Refused to play rookies till Richmond couldn’t be kept off the court. Prolly my fav Warrior (I know I hate the franchise but the rock 🪨 was smooth).

Comon Nate, don’t discriminate based on years of service but rather performance on court in practice and games.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, RandomFan said:

As long as Nate is our coach then we have zero reason to ever pick in the draft again...

I wish that was hyperbole, but I'm not convinced it is. 

Schlenk and Nate are reasons to not want to keep draft picks.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
17 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Either way, can we get over it?  

I don't think you are going to see people stop mentioning the minutes that JJ (in particular) got last year; the rotations from last year; the refusal to call time outs; the failure to draw up effective dead ball plays; etc. until people see Nate change his behavior.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Premium Member
9 hours ago, AHF said:

I don't think you are going to see people stop mentioning the minutes that JJ (in particular) got last year; the rotations from last year; the refusal to call time outs; the failure to draw up effective dead ball plays; etc. until people see Nate change his behavior.

I think the playing rookies thing is BS.  In indy, he played Myles Turner 22.8 mpg as a rookie.   He played OO Playoff minutes as a rookie.   It just seems that we have some people who have the panties in a catch because JJ didn't get a lot of PT.  But they fail to acknowledge that JJ was sick when all of our other players were sick.. JJ asked to go back to the G-League twice..  and JJ had a few times when he was injured and couldn't play.   I can't lay that at Nate's feet.   To be called on, you have to be available. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
8 hours ago, warcore said:

Because Nate wasn't playing him more than twice. 

Yeah, I think that is clear.  He didn't want to just sit on the bench for 3 games and then get 2 minutes of garbage play where he learns nothing at the end of the 4th game.  Nate clearly chose against giving JJ any type of developmental plan other than "go play in the G-League and see you next season."

D is correct that Nate has a mixed track record (rather than one where he never plays rookies) and that JJ could never have been available for anything close to a full season due to his own unavailability for portions of the season.  I just buy the idea that "he didn't want to play with the NBA team and asked to get sent to the G-League" because he just didn't want to spend all week sitting on the bench.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.