• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How would you revamp/rebuild???

sillent

Based on the available free agents and options we have what is a realistic way to build this team for next season?

Understanding chemistry is important (keeping a core), Cap room, happiness/playing time and most importantly the right collection ( players that will play hard and together/like a fist) and fit into Nate McMillan's static (but decently deep) rotations how would you build? 

So far this is a reasonable rebuild I can see. I'm struggling with a tall SG (not named Cam Reddish) so trying to get creative in this positionless basketball era but this makes us bigger, tougher and gives a chance for our surviving core (Trae, Huerter,Dre, JC,OO) to step up their roles which should ultimately make them happier and play harder. 

PG Trae Young 
SG Kyle Anderson 
SF DeAndre Hunter 
PF John Collins
C Rudy Gobert 

PG Sharife Cooper 
SGKevin Huerter 
SF Jalen Johnson 
PF Eric Pascal 
C Onyeka Okongwu 

PG Anthony "Cat" Barber 
SG Skylar Mays 
SF Patrick McCaw 
PF Sekou Duombouya/(Kevin Knox)
C Tacko Fall 

Players like Hunter/ JC get to step up their offense which is what they wanted and will definitely go harder for. Kevin Huerter can fight Herro for 6man. The whole second unit should be better by individual improvement and that 3rd unit may be slept on but a lot of the top teams have those kind of guys that often play key roles.

This squad is taller and tougher without loosing too much of the finesse and highlights that Atl loves to see.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, sillent said:

Based on the available free agents and options we have what is a realistic way to build this team for next season?

Understanding chemistry is important (keeping a core), Cap room, happiness/playing time and most importantly the right collection ( players that will play hard and together/like a fist) and fit into Nate McMillan's static (but decently deep) rotations how would you build? 

So far this is a reasonable rebuild I can see. I'm struggling with a tall SG (not named Cam Reddish) so trying to get creative in this positionless basketball era but this makes us bigger, tougher and gives a chance for our surviving core (Trae, Huerter,Dre, JC,OO) to step up their roles which should ultimately make them happier and play harder. 

PG Trae Young 
SG Kyle Anderson 
SF DeAndre Hunter 
PF John Collins
C Rudy Gobert 

PG Sharife Cooper 
SGKevin Huerter 
SF Jalen Johnson 
PF Eric Pascal 
C Onyeka Okongwu 

PG Anthony "Cat" Barber 
SG Skylar Mays 
SF Patrick McCaw 
PF Sekou Duombouya/(Kevin Knox)
C Tacko Fall 

Players like Hunter/ JC get to step up their offense which is what they wanted and will definitely go harder for. Kevin Huerter can fight Herro for 6man. The whole second unit should be better by individual improvement and that 3rd unit may be slept on but a lot of the top teams have those kind of guys that often play key roles.

This squad is taller and tougher without loosing too much of the finesse and highlights that Atl loves to see.

I can see us waiving and resigning Gallo too to keep more fire power.

Clint and Bogi would have to go to get Gobert and I can see them forcing us to add Delon Wright into the mix while we possibly squeeze a draft pick and Eric Pascal.

15 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

I like, for a third center, Mark Williams from Duke.  What say you?

🧑‍🔧

I definitely need to scout him since this is my second time in a row hearing about him. Right now I'm not too familiar.

• Like 1

If we waive and then resign Gallo I can see us looking more like this plus or minus a rook or two. The rook would more than likely replace Sekou/Tacko.

PG Trae Young (offensive star)

SG Kyle Anderson (second ball handler/solid all around)

SF DeAndre Hunter (2nd star offensively/defensively)

PF John Collins (40% 3ptr back to 20/10 + handles/defense)

C Rudy Gobert (defensive star)

PG Anthony "Cat" Barber (microwave/ solid all around on both ends)

SG Kevin Huerter (offensive threat/solid all around)

SF Eric Pascal (solid inside/defense)

PF Danilo Gallinari (good inside out offensively)

C Onyeka Okongwu ( Bam Adebayo mold)

PG Sharife Cooper ( Trae Young lite)

SG Skylar Mays (grit/chemistry/do what it takes guy)

SF Sekou Duombouya ( inexpensive project)

PF Jalen Johnson (JC/offensive JSmoove lite)

C Tacko Fall (Tall, aggravating body to score over anywhere in the paint or when his hands are up)

All of these players are tough in their own right and have hard work ethics which is big when it comes to fighting past tough competition. 

They would also be highly underestimated which gave us the edge the yr before last.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

I like, for a third center, Mark Williams from Duke.  What say you?

🧑‍🔧

Definitely an advocate for Mark Williams. We can be scary if we have him Gobert and Onyeka.

• Thanks 1

To me this seems like a side-ways move.  The Hawks should go all in on a second scorer/shot-creator - ideally a big wing - and then fill-in with defensive types and a few shooters around those two offensive pieces.  To do that they are likely going to have to pay heavily in terms of depth/assets or take a risk on a player with some age/injury concerns.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Packfill said:

To me this seems like a side-ways move.  The Hawks should go all in on a second scorer/shot-creator - ideally a big wing - and then fill-in with defensive types and a few shooters around those two offensive pieces.  To do that they are likely going to have to pay heavily in terms of depth/assets or take a risk on a player with some age/injury concerns.  

Honestly I agree. For me it's difficult because who is available that would be worth it for who we're trading? 

A lot of the young up and comings may not be leaving their teams and other stars are short (Beal, Victor)/ questionable (Ben Simmons/Ayton defense as the 2nd guy) or too old to build long term with.

What are some suggestions. I do like Ben and Ayton on paper.

I'd rock with this squad. Of course it would be after a little more development but we'd be a sneaky defensive juggernaut and still stay consistent with highlights. Besides John and probably Gallo our 3pt game hasn't ever been consistent so it won't be effected much.

PG Trae Young 
SG Jalen Johnson
SF DeAndre Hunter 
PF John Collins
C Rudy Gobert 

PG Sharife Cooper/Anthony "Cat" Barber   
SG  Skylar Mays/Kyle Anderson 
SF Kevin Huerter/Eric Pascal 
PF Onyeka Okongwu/Danilo Gallinari 
C MarkWilliams/ Jalen Duren

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, sillent said:

I'd rock with this squad. Of course it would be after a little more development but we'd be a sneaky defensive juggernaut and still stay consistent with highlights. Besides John and probably Gallo our 3pt game hasn't ever been consistent so it won't be effected much.

PG Trae Young 
SG Jalen Johnson
SF DeAndre Hunter 
PF John Collins
C Rudy Gobert 

PG Sharife Cooper/Anthony "Cat" Barber   
SG  Skylar Mays/Kyle Anderson 
SF Kevin Huerter/Eric Pascal 
PF Onyeka Okongwu/Danilo Gallinari 
C MarkWilliams/ Jalen Duren

:er:....yeah he's not a SG.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
16 hours ago, sillent said:

Can you move my post? I was looking for an offseason post.

@sillent - I can do that.  Can you quote the post you want moved and share which thread you want to see it moved to?  I'm probably missing the obvious but it's not perfectly clear to me. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I'm not really good with plotting out whole directions...but I do have my eyes on players and things that need to be addressed.  Of the things that need to be addressed...I'm looking at a 2nd alpha, identity, toughness, and the frontcourt.

Find Robin
I'm only listing this first because it's the most obvious to me.  The team's most glaring need is a secondary threat.  Contenders are almost always marked by a potent 1-2 combination on offense.  That's the identity and it's not worth debating.  The numbers just don't support any other rationale.  When you look at the best teams in years past, they all have those 2-3 players that ARE the team. 

Around that core, they have all of these high-level aspects that accentuate the team identity.  The Squawk loves fawning over these secondary aspects like defense, depth, coaching, etc. as if one of these things is going to magically turn us into a contender - regardless of the decades of watching that same story repeat itself generation after generation.  You need a star and you need his partner.  Great offense is a good defense in itself and helps support a great defense.  You need both to be a real contender and right now we have neither.

Get Tougher
We're soft - That's it.  That's the commentary on this.

Consolidate the Frontcourt
It's crowded.  Between Hunter, OO, JJ, JC, and Clint I see (potentially) 5 starter quality frontcourt players.  I'm going into the trade/FAcy market eyeballing a way to maximize return on our surplus frontcourt assets knowing that ideally, neither of them should be coming off the bench.  JC is the last of these guys that I want to part with, but... *le sigh* Id' have to do what I'd have to do if it comes to it.

Side note - Sharife is not about to supplant Trae and they won't run in tandem.  I'd keep an eye on his development the same way I'm eyeballing the frontcourt.

EDIT* - Guys I like
There's only a couple of guys that I like that may or may not be on the market.  Same guys that have been on my radar the past 2-3 seasons...  That being Zach Lavine and Brandon Ingram.  Any "toughguy" you can think of, I probably want him too.  I like Ayton, but that's whatevs - we'll see.  Not interested in Gobert.  If he's the gold standard for defensive center, then Capela is a suitable recipe substitute at a better cost.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

:er:....yeah he's not a SG.

Can he dribble, pass, shoot, defend wings?

Positionless basketball people. He can be whatever we mold him as. A GM in a box is a losing GM.

Who's to say we can't mold him into our Ben Simmons (with a j) within the next 2yrs?

Edited by sillent

19 hours ago, AHF said:

@sillent - I can do that.  Can you quote the post you want moved and share which thread you want to see it moved to?  I'm probably missing the obvious but it's not perfectly clear to me. Thanks!

At this point it's ok because I'd have to find it again myself 😆 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, sillent said:

Positionless basketball people. He can be whatever we mold him as. A GM in a box is a losing GM.

Who's to say we can't mold him into our Ben Simmons (with a j) within the next 2yrs?

They key to me is whether he can defend guards.  I don't think that is realistic at this point in his career.  His major challenge is defensively and asking him to shift to perimeter defense for the first time in his career seems like a bridge too far.  I don't think we've seen his quickness against NBA starter guards so can't really speak to whether he could eventually be capable but I'm skeptical.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, sillent said:

Can he defend SGs next to Trae?

• Like 1