How would you revamp/rebuild???

sillent

• Premium Member

Pick #16 as I see it now:

1.  Mark Williams. 

2.   Jalen Duren.

3.   Walker Kessler

4.  Jeremy Sochan

Obviously, I want a 7 footer and a player who can block shots. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is before any nba development. I guess your asking things like is he quick enough to stay in front of 2 guards/wings?

You can check out from about 1:52 - 3:52 or the whole thing of course.

He definitely will need to work on sliding his feet but he has the wingspan, quick leaps, quick for his size, likes to run, quick leaper, good ball handler/rebounder. 

His wingspan, running ability, quick leaping/shot blocking, height and wingspan make up a lot when guarding. I think with the right development (which we seem to be pretty good at) he can learn/gain the tweaks necessary to be a Ben Simmons type of player able to plug into 4 different positions or as needed similarly to Scottie Barnes. 

Edited by sillent
  • Thanks 1

OP I just think that lineup is too slow for today's NBA. The league is fast and uptempo. The Hawks need to run and push the ball. Kyle Anderson is not it. Trae is already a ball dominant PG under Nate system. He doesn't move like other guards off ball to get open. He just stands there. John Collins can barely create his own shot. Against bigs, he's worthless unless Trae gets him an alley oop. 

Rudy Gobert is slow. Dre Hunter finally figured out how to score. Drive and get to the line. He's the only bright spot if he stays healthy. I just don't believe in a Trae led team with a assistant coach such a Nate who cannot develop young talent

• Like 4

12 hours ago, JTB said:

It’s sad that his dribbling ability at this stage is way better than JCs!

really dumb move not to play this kid this season. Nate need to adapt and get some new staff members to help him develop these players and assist with appropriate rotations.

Agreed, it's just a shame this dude never got the chance to develop this year. I cannot understand this Front office and the coaching decisions 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, StonedDogs said:

OP I just think that lineup is too slow for today's NBA. The league is fast and uptempo. The Hawks need to run and push the ball. Kyle Anderson is not it. Trae is already a ball dominant PG under Nate system. He doesn't move like other guards off ball to get open. He just stands there. John Collins can barely create his own shot. Against bigs, he's worthless unless Trae gets him an alley oop. 

Rudy Gobert is slow. Dre Hunter finally figured out how to score. Drive and get to the line. He's the only bright spot if he stays healthy. I just don't believe in a Trae led team with a assistant coach such a Nate who cannot develop young talent

I think that's not so true.  You would think over time, the league would have grown faster with faster play... but I don't have numbers in front of me.. but Pace has been dropping since 2018.   The rule changes helped improve the PACE a few years back but it hit it's pinnacle with the Warriors and when the Warriors gave way to the Lakers,  the Pace dropped.   Now you see teams walk it up...  Like Boston.  Like Memphis.  Like Philly.. and it's been successful for them.   A team that can bring the PACE back up may have the ability to win because they can catch defenses unorganized. 

Our Pace this past year was 97.7... that was good for 20th fastest team.   With all these young players, we have an offense that just walks the ball up and faces more set defenses. 

In the playoffs, our PACE dropped to 95.2.  There were only 6 teams that played faster than us:

Minny, Memphis, Chicago, Golden Sate, Milwaukee, and Denver. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, StonedDogs said:

...the plan going forward is to get Trae off ball more which needs another capable ball handler for him to be effective in actually getting him the ball for CnS opportunities.

(And I'm not saying Anderson is that person)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I really like the idea of Jerami Grant.  Plays defense, can handle the ball and score.  Not a bad shooter either.  Also athletic and can play uptempo, finish lobs etc.  Upgrading from Bogi/Heurter to him would make a HUGE difference on defense and ballhandling IMO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, JTB said:

It’s sad that his dribbling ability at this stage is way better than JCs!

really dumb move not to play this kid this season. Nate need to adapt and get some new staff members to help him develop these players and assist with appropriate rotations.

This is the one head-scratcher for me.  Not so much on Nate, because while I don't agree with him not playing JJ...I do at least understand his rationale.  What I don't understand is why nobody intervened the same way they allegedly intervened with OO.  Jalen Johnson should have had some regular minutes to develop.  There were ops for him, especially if TLC found some burn.

1 hour ago, AtLaS said:

I really like the idea of Jerami Grant.  Plays defense, can handle the ball and score.  Not a bad shooter either.  Also athletic and can play uptempo, finish lobs etc.  Upgrading from Bogi/Heurter to him would make a HUGE difference on defense and ballhandling IMO

I would list Grant as one of my players as he has been on my list for a few seasons now...that was before the trade deadline and the rumblings about him looking to "cash in" on the interest level in him.  He's worth what he's making right now, so if he is looking for a more significant payday...then he's off my list.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, sillent said:

This is before any nba development. I guess your asking things like is he quick enough to stay in front of 2 guards/wings?

You can check out from about 1:52 - 3:52 or the whole thing of course.

He definitely will need to work on sliding his feet but he has the wingspan, quick leaps, quick for his size, likes to run, quick leaper, good ball handler/rebounder. 

His wingspan, running ability, quick leaping/shot blocking, height and wingspan make up a lot when guarding. I think with the right development (which we seem to be pretty good at) he can learn/gain the tweaks necessary to be a Ben Simmons type of player able to plug into 4 different positions or as needed similarly to Scottie Barnes. 

Is he still really this good?  Either he's not nearly as the film proves that he is or our development is an utter failure.  The player we see here is really good, isn't he!

🥰

• Like 1

Don’t @ the Simmons apologist crew!! 

if our medical staff cleared him. Cap/bogi/16 for Simmons. gallo + 2nd for George hill / brook lopez. Fill out the roster with vet min guys.

trae/hill

Simmons/huerter

dre/simmons

collins / JJ 

lopez/oo

Give onyeka 24-28 minutes a game off the bench. Get him ready to take over next year when Lopez comes off the books. 

or finally cave in and pay what it takes to bring my guy pascal here!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AtLaS said:

So does Hunter go to SG If we tried to bring in Grant ?

Looks like you traded Bogi and Huerter for Grant which….I’m good with! Lol…I want to see the hawks roll out a bigger lineup around Trae.

20 minutes ago, JTB said:

Looks like you traded Bogi and Huerter for Grant which….I’m good with! Lol…I want to see the hawks roll out a bigger lineup around Trae.

If that trade were available i would make it, Detroit would need to throw in a filler.  But I was moreso just looking at Grant entering the starting lineup over one of those two would drastically improve us.  We gain size, ballhandling and get a huge boost defensively. 

I think Grant can play the 2, especially with Trae on the team.  He has pretty good ballhandling.  I don't know much about his lateral defensive ability against quick 2's, but with him and Hunter on the perimeter it would be a gamechanger for us.  Heurter and Bogi are atrocious on D and we constantly have to help when they get beat off the dribble.  With a Grant at the 2, we then would only be helping on Trae which becomes much easier.  You can't have multiple perimeter defenders on the floor who can't stay in front of their man.  You'll always be a bottom 5-10 D.

Edited by AtLaS

22 minutes ago, JTB said:

Or you could start Delon Wright and bring Hunter off the bench.  

• Haha 1

Honestly speaking? Id prioritize trading JC and Huerter. Love JC but its just so much money tied up between two players who dont really move the needle. All Trae needs is the 1/5 pick and roll to be successful. Id look into replacing those two with defensive minded players. Someone like a Covington or Tucker who can stretch the floor and play great D is the ideal 4 for building around Trae imo 

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, JTB said:

I don't see the incentive for Detroit to do this deal?  

It would be Grant/Olynk for Bogi/Kev...  OK.. What else are we giving them?

I don't know if you all have recognized but Detroit just picked up a Franchise player. 

Why would they trade away a player that can be an important part of their fabric.

imagine....  They luck out and get Jabari Smith in the lottery.

That's a future of  Caden, Grant, and Smith  a potential big 3. 

You think they want to give that up for Trick Knee and Red Velvet... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3