• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If Nate isn't long term.... Who would you like to see as Hawks New Coach?

Diesel

• Premium Member

From the Athletic..

"How do you square Tony Ressler’s public vote of confidence for Nate McMillan with all the anonymous sources pointing the finger at him in your last article? Is his job as safe as Ressler makes it sound? — H R.

It wasn’t surprising to hear Ressler give McMillan a vote of confidence. That should be expected when he’s on the record. An owner doesn’t want the image of his organization being in shambles after he speaks to a group of reporters and says, “This guy stinks! I’m thinking of firing him!” Privately, yes, there are several people I’ve spoken with who have their doubts in McMillan long term. The Hawks were in a tough spot coming off of last season. McMillan led them to the conference finals on an interim tag. I think it would’ve been viewed as a questionable decision to not sign him to a new deal after that run where he took over 34 games into the season."

2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Privately, yes, there are several people I’ve spoken with who have their doubts in McMillan long term.

We got excited. Why 5 years though. We couldn’t give Nate like a 3 year deal last season? 

• Premium Member

With Coach Mike Brown going to Sacramento...

There are still a few names out there:

Alvin Gentry, Frank Vogel, Darvin Ham Sam Cassell, David Fizdale, Steve Clifford, Mark Jackson etc...

But if Nate Called it quits tomorrow, I would like to see what Mike D'Antoni could do here. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

We got excited. Why 5 years though. We couldn’t give Nate like a 3 year deal last season? 

Maybe Nate wouldn't accept a 3 year deal.  Remember, he took some negotiation time to take the position. 

After his last thing with Indy, he learned that the coach is secondary to the star player.  And it may be the same thing here...

ATLANTA, GA - MARCH 31: Trae Young #11 speaks with head Coach Nate McMillan of the Atlanta Hawks during the second half against the Cleveland Cavaliers at State Farm Arena on March 31, 2022 in Atlanta, Georgia. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Todd Kirkland/Getty Images)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I see Nate as the HC right now. I don't see a better option right now. 

so many better options out there LMAOOO. Kenny atkinson is sitting on a championship winning staff. Darvin Ham sitting on a championship winning staff. Charles Lee. Nate is literally a bottom 10 coach in the nba. Any of these former hawks assistants would coach circles around him

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

so many better options out there LMAOOO. Kenny atkinson is sitting on a championship winning staff. Darvin Ham sitting on a championship winning staff. Charles Lee. Nate is literally a bottom 10 coach in the nba. Any of these former hawks assistants would coach circles around him

Not for this personnel grouping. 

• Moderators

I like Darvin Ham a lot.  I just don't get the obsession with Kenny Atkinson.   People have been obsessed with Kenny, Quinn Snyder, Thibs, Nick Nurse but have they really been great coaches?   maybe/maybe not

We're all stuck on certain guys meanwhile it's Monty Williams, Willie Green, Ime Udoka, Taylor Jenkins who've really shown out.   Guys that were never mentioned or never even heard of by a lot of fans. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Atkinson accomplished not much more in BKN that Pierce did here.  Both alienated their best players.  People just like him, for some odd reason(s).  Dude's been through 2-3 full coach hiring/firing cycles and got no sniffs.  What are ya'll seeing that NBA GM's, who's livelihoods depend on finding a good coach, don't see?

There's objectively no evidence Ham or Lee are upgrades.

I agree we have some problems, from a coaching standpoint.  I just don't see any slam dunk upgrades right now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I like Darvin Ham a lot.  I just don't get the obsession with Kenny Atkinson.   People have been obsessed with Kenny, Quinn Snyder, Thibs, Nick Nurse but have they really been great coaches?   maybe/maybe not

We're all stuck on certain guys meanwhile it's Monty Williams, Willie Green, Ime Udoka, Taylor Jenkins who've really shown out.   Guys that were never mentioned or never even heard of by a lot of fans. 

These things a cyclical:  Snyder, Nurse and Atkinson were the hot up and comers 2-4 years ago...in the same spot Monty, Willie, Ime and Taylor are now.

The hot assistant doing well in his first few years.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Nic(k) Nurse is a good coach.  He's just not likeable, imho.  But his impact seems clear.

Udoka was seen as a coaching prospect and Monty has always been considered a good one (I think some folks took a wait n' see approach on him after his family tragedy.)

I'll hear absolutely no one that says they saw what Jenkins and, to a lesser degree, Green did for their teams.  MEM was in clear tank mode.  They probably hired Jenkins' no-name a** thinking they'd pin copious losses on his coaching resume as they built through the draft..

Green did a good job the second half of the year but that was unexpected - maybe this is just me not wanting to give that snake Davey Griffin credit for something.  Hey, I admit my petty-ness.  That's more than I can say for some. 😉

• Like 3

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

These things a cyclical:  Snyder, Nurse and Atkinson were the hot up and comers 2-4 years ago...in the same spot Monty, Willie, Ime and Taylor are now.

The hot assistant doing well in his first few years.

I'm not sold on Jenkins as being great but you can't really lump Monty in there.   He's had one of the best teams in the league 2 years now.   You can give all the credit to CP but Doc and D'Antoni didn't get that out of CP.  

Boston, with a few great mid season acquisitions, has been great.  I hate to say it.  Those guys were soft under Brad but the team isn't that much different in personnel and they are much more formidable in my opinion. 

Yeah I always like Willie as a player so i'm rooting for him  Even when the Hawks played them early on you could see signs that they actually had a good offensive game plan.   

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 6:00 AM, Diesel said:

Sam Cassell,

Curious to see him get a head coaching gig. If his coaching style is anything like the way he played, I want SAM I AM. No fear ever. 

Mark Jackson and Sam for me. 

I like D’antoni but man, that guy just can’t get over the hump.