• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If Nate isn't long term.... Who would you like to see as Hawks New Coach?

Diesel

22 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I like Darvin Ham a lot.  I just don't get the obsession with Kenny Atkinson.   People have been obsessed with Kenny, Quinn Snyder, Thibs, Nick Nurse but have they really been great coaches?   maybe/maybe not

We're all stuck on certain guys meanwhile it's Monty Williams, Willie Green, Ime Udoka, Taylor Jenkins who've really shown out.   Guys that were never mentioned or never even heard of by a lot of fans. 

Nick Nurse has done a hell of a job in Toronto! 

51 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Nick Nurse has done a hell of a job in Toronto! 

Ya know, I agreed that he's done a good job.  He's certainly set up a good program there, along with Masai.

However, I'm waiting on putting him on a pedestal (not saying that's what you're doing, I'm just thinking out loud).

There's still a chance he's a Thibs type with the only difference being he had a year of prime-Kawhi carrying him.  He's been solid since then, but they come up short once the talent evens out.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Ya know, I agreed that he's done a good job.  He's certainly set up a good program there, along with Masai.

However, I'm waiting on putting him on a pedestal (not saying that's what you're doing, I'm just thinking out loud).

There's still a chance he's a Thibs type with the only difference being he had a year of prime-Kawhi carrying him.  He's been solid since then, but they come up short once the talent evens out.

Did Talent even out or were there just more talented teams?

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Last season's team was oft injured and he had them at the 5th seed.  No on really expected them to be that good last season.

To me, he always rolls out a good competitive defense and finds ways to win. 

I'm not putting him on a pedestal. I just think he's a good coach and one of the better ones in the league.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Last season's team was oft injured and he had them at the 5th seed.  No on really expected them to be that good last season.

I'm not putting him on a pedestal. I just think he's a good coach and one of the better ones in the league.

Yeah, I wasn't disagreeing with you necessarily.  Just piggybacking on what you said.  I think he's a good, solid coach.  Puts a competitive product out there, runs a good program.

But there are some that list him as a top 5 type of coach.  I'm not quite there yet on him.

And I specifically said I know you're not putting him on a pedestal.  Geez, marco, do you even read my musings?

Actually, don't answer that, 'cause I don't want anybody else asking me the same question.

'Cause .. heh, of course, I read everything people write.

giphy.webp?cid=ecf05e475ab8wogrdmp0o8li9

.... of course I do.

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Curious to see him get a head coaching gig. If his coaching style is anything like the way he played, I want SAM I AM. No fear ever. 

Mark Jackson and Sam for me. 

I like D’antoni but man, that guy just can’t get over the hump.

What's your fascination with Mark Jackson? 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, marco102 said:

Nick Nurse is a good coach but is he a great one?  Is he head and shoulders over Nate?   The team plays hard and does well and like Thibs he rides his best players to all those regular season wins and then they are spent by the playoffs.   5 players 35+ minutes this season?  That's crazy.   Hawks had zero players play that much.   Even Thibs only played 2 guys over 30.  

All I'm saying is we always think our coach sucks and all these other guys are great when a lot of these others have their own weaknesses and issues. 

19 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Nick Nurse is a good coach but is he a great one?  Is he head and shoulders over Nate?   The team plays hard and does well and like Thibs he rides his best players to all those regular season wins and then they are spent by the playoffs.   5 players 35+ minutes this season?  That's crazy.   Hawks had zero players play that much.   Even Thibs only played 2 guys over 30.  

All I'm saying is we always think our coach sucks and all these other guys are great when a lot of these others have their own weaknesses and issues. 

I never said Nate sucked.  You'll have to go discuss that with the other posters...lol.  

I hate some of Nate's rotation decisions, but it's always hindsight.  He does need to install a better offensive system which has always been his weak point.  Nate's biggest downfall was dismantling the staff from last season that he got excellent results with. If he wanted his son on the team, he could have still added him. 

Edit: All I was saying was Nick Nurse was a good coach. Nothing more than that. 

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What's your fascination with Mark Jackson? 

I can't speak for AJ... but I too believe that Jackson was given a raw deal in GS.   He basically built that team.  Even if you get away from the team building though, he did show that he's very capable of coaching and I believe he will get another shot at it.  The only thing is that he needs a good staff. 

• Premium Member

Nate don't suck.. he just does some sucky things:

1.  Delon out of the rotation?

2.  No good calls out of a T.O. 

3.   Slow pace of his offense. 

4.  Slow adjustments in game. 

5.   Timeouts?

6.  Doesn't make enough challenges. 

7.   His nature is to be calm all the time...

None of those things Except maybe #1, #3, and #5 are detrimental.. just nitpicking.   However, his X and O games is good.  His player relationship is good.   I'm not even that mad at his timed rotations.  I just wish that he would recognize hot hands. 

On 5/11/2022 at 12:23 AM, macdaddy said:

Oh how quickly we forget

I would have agreed with you last year.  That was before I knew he continued to use Lloyd Pierce's offensive sets until the end of last season.  Once he converted the offense to his own "sets" (I use that word loosely), we became wildly inconsistent, despite having somewhat better players.  His substitution patterns, and devotion to his rotation strategies, and time out plays are disappointing, to put it mildly.

• Moderators
54 minutes ago, Watchman said:

I would have agreed with you last year.  That was before I knew he continued to use Lloyd Pierce's offensive sets until the end of last season.  Once he converted the offense to his own "sets" (I use that word loosely), we became wildly inconsistent, despite having somewhat better players.  His substitution patterns, and devotion to his rotation strategies, and time out plays are disappointing, to put it mildly.

Maybe i'm just ignorant but i just don't think our offense is wildly different than under Pierce.  I think what happened is we went to the ECF and teams started better preparing to stop what we were doing.   I think that's one reason we saw regression from a lot of players on the team.  When what was working great and getting them open shots and dunks started getting cut off, a lot of our guys didn't adapt well.   We have a lot of role players.  We need some more ballers. 

29 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I was wondering that too.   David?

Nah, it was Bruce Lee you sonofaguns.

Of course it was Charles Lee.  Anyways, I also read CHA interviewed Vogel.  Guess they really love that treadmill.  Also guess they'd be officially out of the Westbrook interest if he ends up there.

• Haha 1

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Nah, it was Bruce Lee you sonofaguns.

Of course it was Charles Lee.  Anyways, I also read CHA interviewed Vogel.  Guess they really love that treadmill.  Also guess they'd be officially out of the Westbrook interest if he ends up there.

Borego really got a raw deal.  I can't believe they won as much as they did with that roster.