• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What if we just.... Ran it back...

Diesel

• Premium Member

This was an injured year.  Terrible injuries took out a lot of our best players at the wrong time.  Yet.. when we were healthy we showed that we can beat anybody. 

What if we ran it back...

Resigned Delon.

Drafted a project C like Mark Williams.

And we made a play for Oladipo with our MLE?

• Trae/Delon/Riff
  • Oladipo/Bogi
  • Hunter/Kev/CBrown
  • JC/Gallo/JJ
  • CC/OO/MW

What is the problem with this team?

• Moderators

Oladipo isn't THAT good.   He'll get hurt as will Bogi and we'll be back watching Trae begging people to shoot the ball and being totally disconnected on D.

Plus I really believe that there are some players that don't really like being here anymore.  

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Oladipo isn't THAT good.   He'll get hurt as will Bogi and we'll be back watching Trae begging people to shoot the ball and being totally disconnected on D.

Plus I really believe that there are some players that don't really like being here anymore.  

This is new... Who doesn't want to be here anymore??

• Premium Member

I won't disagree about Oladipo..  His injury does cause Pause... So let's replace him with Malik Monk...

• Trae/Delon/Riff
  • Monk/Bogi
  • Hunter/Kev/CBrown
  • JC/Gallo/JJ
  • CC/OO/MW

• Premium Member

Just because you can blow up a team, doesn't mean that you should blow up a team. 

I think a lot of us are having thoughts of blowing this team up based on our injury play.    We won't always be injured.  What does this team do when healthy?

You can't evaluate anything if it's not in good working order to begin with. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, BangHolman said:

Squawk can't agree on anyone, so might as well 

I think the problem is that you have some people who are non-believers.  It is a Hawks tradition to blow everything up and start over.  That's why you see these franchise crippling trade proposals for Gobert.   A move that will not make us 20 Million dollars better than we are now. 

Maybe the correct answer is 1.  Get Healthy.  2. Evaluate the team while healthy.  3.  Fix the one area that you know needs fixing (the 2 guard spot). 

We can look around and see what 2 guard is available in FAcy or we can talk about trading for one.   But Gimpy Bogi and prissy Kev is not going to get it as starters moving forward.   Either of them can be used as trade material. 

I've talked about getting Mitchell.  I would look at Collin Sexton.   I really like Josh Hart.   But this is the deal.

1.  Fix the SG position either by adding a FA or trading for a 2 guard. 

2.   Hope that Hunter and JJ can improve while playing more minutes. 

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I think the problem is that you have some people who are non-believers.  It is a Hawks tradition to blow everything up and start over.  That's why you see these franchise crippling trade proposals for Gobert.   A move that will not make us 20 Million dollars better than we are now. 

Maybe the correct answer is 1.  Get Healthy.  2. Evaluate the team while healthy.  3.  Fix the one area that you know needs fixing (the 2 guard spot). 

We can look around and see what 2 guard is available in FAcy or we can talk about trading for one.   But Gimpy Bogi and prissy Kev is not going to get it as starters moving forward.   Either of them can be used as trade material. 

I've talked about getting Mitchell.  I would look at Collin Sexton.   I really like Josh Hart.   But this is the deal.

1.  Fix the SG position either by adding a FA or trading for a 2 guard. 

2.   Hope that Hunter and JJ can improve while playing more minutes. 

It was a joke.. but the issue with "1. Get Healthy 2. Evaluate the team while Healthy" is that we already know in the last two seasons this team can't stay healthy. That is a legitimate observation. We have to 1. Get a Secondary Playmaker 2. Upgrade Perimeter defense. 

I 100% agree that trading for Gobert does nothing but put $20m more on the books to fix a non-issue.

• Like 1

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, Diesel said:

This is new... Who doesn't want to be here anymore??

Mainly Bogi.  I don't think he wants to sit and watch Kevin record triple singles and dribble out of the lane.  Starting means something to players.  I think he thought he was gone at the deadline and when he wasn't he committed himself a little harder.  

I think JC is committed to Atlanta but also think he's tired of being constantly in every trade rumor.  Not saying he doesn't want to be here anymore but i think he and Trae but need to see some changes in the roster.  

Although it's not my preference, standing pat and playing JJ/Sharife a bit more isn't the worst idea in the world.  I don't want Gobert either.  Wouldn't mind seeing Mitchell here but that is a risky move.  If it doesn't work out, he's going to lose a lot of trade value.  Players generally lose trade value when their new team is looking to trade them after a year.  

We are still extremely young, it's not like the players are declining other than Gallo.  If we wait, certain teams will have bad seasons and new players will become available for trade.  

SGA's new 180 million dollar deal is about to kick in, what if he takes a step back this year and OKC gets frustrated.  What if PHX gets knocked out by Dallas then Ayton becomes available, or Boston has a bad year and Brown or Smart become available.  Siakam, Bridges, Ingram etc.  We really just need another scorer who can create, it doesn't HAVE to be at the SG position.  If we acquire a scoring PF, we can then go defense at SG.

I doubt we will stand pat though, but i definitely don't want to overpay and mortgage our entire future unless it's for the right player.  

• Like 2

• Moderators

We should not categorically choose to "run it back" or "trade them away."  Shop your guys in the offseason and trade when the value is right - same as we should do every offseason.  The difference is that last year TS didn't go out trying to aggressively explore deals and it sounds like he regrets that decision and plans to be more aggressive this year.  We certainly have the talent to interest other teams so a trade is very possible but you don't make one for the sake of "change" - you make it to improve the team.

I do think @BangHolman makes a very good point that this team has shown it carries a lot of injury risk between the recurring injuries of Bogi, CC, OO, Hunter, JC, Gallo, and JJ.  Making a move that lowers the risk of lost time for our key players could be a legitimate way to try to improve the team for next year.  Shouldn't be only (or even primary) factor in considering trades but it is a real factor and a reason not to simply "wait for the team to get healthy and then evaluate how we look assuming we can stay healthy" if there are deals with value that makes sense right now.

• Like 2

GUARANTEE   Changes are coming.  How big or how many?  No one really knows.  I don't believe that a "Blow everything up and start over" change is in the works.  Hawks have too many good players for this to happen.

The changes must be done quietly.  No explosion.  Not a "Trade Trae for two future draft picks and a rack of new basketballs" kind of deal.  Hawks do have needs.  We all saw this, magnified for all to see, in the 1st round of this season's playoffs.  As we watch the second round, we see that we are not alone.

Will our two rookies from this year's team survive?  Will we do the draft?  Who is coming back?

🧑‍🔧Building next season's team.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

In the light of day offseason though we're probably not seeing as many changes as people think.   Not unless there's a true star available.   I think Bogi is gone and an outside chance at Kevin, JC or Capela being gone

The thing about JC and Capela is you're hard pressed to replace them with an upgrade.   So what's the point.  When it comes down to it I see us with a new starting wing and a better bench. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

In the light of day offseason though we're probably not seeing as many changes as people think.   

The reality is that no matter who a team is legitimately interested in, it takes two to tango and most trade interest never materializes into anything real.  Even if TS wants to trade half the roster, he still needs to find a partner and a deal that makes sense before moving anyone.  That is usually tougher than people think unless a team is in a fire sale mode.

• Like 3

If you run it back what’s the plan to get through Giannis? Let’s say Miami has an off year or has a letdown if they win the finals, Philly is now a treadmill team, and Celtics are a problem as well. We had issues scoring on the Celtics like everyone else.

The Hawks need an absolute reliable star scoring option as the 2nd option to Trae plus upgrades defensively across the board.

Knowing that.. it’s an absolute must to make trades if you don’t want another disappointment season.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Diesel said:

This was an injured year.  Terrible injuries took out a lot of our best players at the wrong time.  Yet.. when we were healthy we showed that we can beat anybody. 

What if we ran it back...

Resigned Delon.

Drafted a project C like Mark Williams.

And we made a play for Oladipo with our MLE?

• Trae/Delon/Riff
  • Oladipo/Bogi
  • Hunter/Kev/CBrown
  • JC/Gallo/JJ
  • CC/OO/MW

What is the problem with this team?

The problem with just running it back, see below!

image.thumb.png.5cad2615b4c33ca6d557a4ca7d54f2c9.png

image.thumb.png.6fc326dc6d37c39621d63d06d7674df8.png

image.thumb.png.c13ef3d032e2f0b5b02fdd0726f2a90d.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1