• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What if we just.... Ran it back...

Diesel

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, AHF said:

We should not categorically choose to "run it back" or "trade them away."  Shop your guys in the offseason and trade when the value is right - same as we should do every offseason.  The difference is that last year TS didn't go out trying to aggressively explore deals and it sounds like he regrets that decision and plans to be more aggressive this year.  We certainly have the talent to interest other teams so a trade is very possible but you don't make one for the sake of "change" - you make it to improve the team.

I do think @BangHolman makes a very good point that this team has shown it carries a lot of injury risk between the recurring injuries of Bogi, CC, OO, Hunter, JC, Gallo, and JJ.  Making a move that lowers the risk of lost time for our key players could be a legitimate way to try to improve the team for next year.  Shouldn't be only (or even primary) factor in considering trades but it is a real factor and a reason not to simply "wait for the team to get healthy and then evaluate how we look assuming we can stay healthy" if there are deals with value that makes sense right now.

I never said to not be opportunistic.  I mean, if Brooklyn offers us KD for anybody but Trae... I'm not saying that we say.. "Nawl.. we're staying pat".  I just feel like we have reach a point of fake desperation and we're being manipulated by the waft of who could be available. 

I agree with our chronically hurt positions... which is why I pointed out SG.  The wings are our problem.  So if Bogi (who is our best SG) doesn't want to be here or can't stay uninjured then we need to find somebody that is not as injured and can give us production.   I said Oladipo.. but with his injury, could come back any day.   I said Monk.  Monk is young still has good game, but is not the scorer that Oladipo is but should be really cheap. 

The idea of a scoring PF is interesting, I just don't see many available.  And Upgrading JC is low on my list, especially with JJ in the wings. 

The pressure point is Hunter.   Always has been.  He has to show and prove or by the deadline, we need to be looking to replace him. 

But changing out Centers is low on my list, I would prolly be more willing to draft a project or pick up one of several 7 footers who will be cheap to sure up our rotation:

Drummond, Whitesides, Loon, McGee... are all going to be available in FAcy. Any of them can be a part of a three headed need based rotation. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, theheroatl said:

If you run it back what’s the plan to get through Giannis? Let’s say Miami has an off year or has a letdown if they win the finals, Philly is now a treadmill team, and Celtics are a problem as well. We had issues scoring on the Celtics like everyone else.

The Hawks need an absolute reliable star scoring option as the 2nd option to Trae plus upgrades defensively across the board.

Knowing that.. it’s an absolute must to make trades if you don’t want another disappointment season.

Well, the answer is not Gobert.

I have talked of Mitchell.  Hell, I would consider Sexton.   I would consider Brogdon (if he were healthy).   There are so many people ready to talk about our defensive woes with a second scoring gaurd that they ignore the fact that having one or two defensive players is not going to make a big difference and there's no 2 way Gaurd available that can help so now we're talking about a defensive player off the bench. 

Well, we have that in Delon.  Resign him.   Get another defensive piece.  Let's look at the baby Hawks. 

If we could get Mitchell, 

I would run with Trae, Mitchell, Hunter, JJ, and CC... and see what we could do...(assuming JC would be one of the needed pieces to get Mitchell). 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, thecampster said:

Even if you account for the holds and bargain down to a reasonable resign rate for most (not all), you'll still be north of $160 million.

Some of these players wont be back.. Like noKnox, TLC, Deing.. prolly no.   And we still have to find a right fit for our first unit. 

But even if we were to trade for Gobert, we would have worse problems capwise. 

The extension of Kev and CC put us here. 

The last two seasons are not that hard to figure out to me.  Two years ago we were able to beat the Knicks and slip past the Sixers, somewhat related to our playoff seeding.  Going into this last season I thought the key was we needed to use our scoring depth to get us a top 4 or better seed.  Instead we started cold then I think we went 0-9 during the Covid replacement period.  Once we barely made it into the playoffs it was too much to expect that we'd do it again (especially injured).

We have plenty of contracts we can move for a disgruntled superstar if one becomes available.   We also have to hold it on the head coach to get us a top 4 seed, if not, dump him.

Run it back.  Hunter and OO improve.  We should get a top4 seed and at least advance to the second playoff round most seasons.  I'm good with that most seasons until we can find that second superstar to go with Trae.