• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

NO Front office Overreactions....

Diesel

• Premium Member

We are in a very vulnerable position.   However, this cannot be the time for our front office to overreact?

Travis has shown a few times that he's a rookie. 

1.  His handling of COVID Season. 

2.  Him coming out and openly questioning if he made a mistake in the offseason (twice). 

These are rookie mistakes.  Especially #2.  #2 when you did it in the middle of the team is not a motivator, it starts to make the team doubt itself.  How is Trae supposed to build Trust in Kev and CC if he thinks that Travis made a mistake re-uping Kev. 

Then every year, you let JC sit under the thought that he's going to be traded.   Either Trade JC or come out and say that we're not trading JC.. but to be quiet and let Windy and the whole basketball world rumonate on the thought that we're seeking trades for JC is dumb if at the end of the day, JC still wears a Hawks Jersey.   This has gone on for the last 3 years.  Again, this is not a motivator, it makes the players question their worth to the team.

But today.. this is not the time to do something dumb.  Believe it or not, most of Travis' player acquisitions have actually been good ones..  I would rather have Herro than Cam but at the time, nobody was complaining. 

Today is a time to troubleshoot.  Let's go Position by position. 

Center- CC/OO...  There's nothing really wrong with the Center rotation.  CC/OO are a good combination that could give you years of Good play.  If you are worried about big bigs.. then get a big big for that reason.  Whitesides, Drummond, McGee, Ibaka, Biyombo, Dedmon, Deing, Howard, Lopez, Robinson, Bryant, and Zubac will all be FAs.   All of these guys have size and can play as the third C off the bench when we need a big body.   

Power Forward - JC, Gallo and JJ.....Reports are that we wanted to bring JJ along slowly.  Well, this is the year that we have to see what we have.  I think when you look at JC, he's an enigma.. you want to say his game is based on Athleticism.. but he can shoot.   He shoots very well.   However, our offense doesn't take advantage of his abilities enough.   He should be a Kevin Love, pick and Pop Stretch 4.   He has that game but we don't use him that way. Right now, he just picks up scraps..  JJ, I believe, will be a carbon copy of JC... More Athletic, less the shooter.   We'll come back to Gallo. 

Small Forward - Hunter, CBrown.... To me, this is one of our trouble spots.   Hunter is still in development and he's being pinned as a defensive three.  He's not really a three and Defense guy in my eyes.   But I'm willing to wait on him one more half season.   His injuries are his major problem.   He plays and can be something but everytime he gets going, he gets injured.    Chaundee Brown is the least talked about Hawk.. because we know nothing about him.  But from the eye test, this guy is a diamond in the rough.  During the COVID games, I watched him.  He's good.   He's ready to step up.  Travis did a good job with this one.  IF given the chance, he could compete for the starting spot...  Get him some PT baby!

Shooting Guard - Kev, Bogi...   Where to begin?  Actually, Bogi is what you would want.. but he's gimpy.  Secondly, Maryland Kev is the guy we want.. but he's scary.  It leads to inconsistent play.  The Kev that played for Maryland would be the man with this team.  Unfortunately, he got injured and now mentally, he doesn't have the toughness to go inside anymore.  We get glimpses of Maryland Kev.. like Game 7 against Philly.  But he doesn't visit enough for us to say that the position is locked up.    By that same token.. Bogi has the attributes that we need but he gets gimpy.  a lot.   He doesn't play well because he's gimpy.  The problem is that neither of them plays good defense.

Point Guard - Trae/Delon/Shariff... No need to talk about Trae.  He does his job.  Delon though has been just what we needed.  To me, I like him on the second Unit and he makes the second unit better than the first unit (most times).  My second unit is:   Lou, Delon, Bogi, Gallo, OO.   These guys shut down  the other teams and outscore them.   That's because of the defense of Delon and OO.. the effort of Gallo, and the scoring of Gallo, Lou, and Bogi.  I suspect Lou will be gone.   There should be another scorer that can help this second unit.

Gallo.... Too many times, Gallo was our Second best player.  He gave more effort this past year than I ever remember.   I know for salary sake, he has to be traded... but in my heart,  I would keep him over Kev, Bogi, or even JC.  Still his playoffs showed me that he's aging and will continue to go down hill.  So it changes my thoughts on trading him. 

Overreaction, I don't think we need a whole lot.   What would solidify this team is consistent scoring from the SG/SF positions.  We need guys to be able to hit a corner three.. we need a guy who can put the ball on the floor.  We can't be a perimeter team. 

That's why my wishlist includes:  Hart, Lonzo Ball, or DMitch.

That's why I scoff at these proposals for Gobert, AD, and Ayton... we get one of those guys, we will have the same problem but we have just spent more money. 

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Diesel said:

We are in a very vulnerable position.   However, this cannot be the time for our front office to overreact?

Travis has shown a few times that he's a rookie. 

1.  His handling of COVID Season. 

2.  Him coming out and openly questioning if he made a mistake in the offseason (twice). 

These are rookie mistakes.  Especially #2.  #2 when you did it in the middle of the team is not a motivator, it starts to make the team doubt itself.  How is Trae supposed to build Trust in Kev and CC if he thinks that Travis made a mistake re-uping Kev. 

Then every year, you let JC sit under the thought that he's going to be traded.   Either Trade JC or come out and say that we're not trading JC.. but to be quiet and let Windy and the whole basketball world rumonate on the thought that we're seeking trades for JC is dumb if at the end of the day, JC still wears a Hawks Jersey.   This has gone on for the last 3 years.  Again, this is not a motivator, it makes the players question their worth to the team.

But today.. this is not the time to do something dumb.  Believe it or not, most of Travis' player acquisitions have actually been good ones..  I would rather have Herro than Cam but at the time, nobody was complaining. 

Today is a time to troubleshoot.  Let's go Position by position. 

Center- CC/OO...  There's nothing really wrong with the Center rotation.  CC/OO are a good combination that could give you years of Good play.  If you are worried about big bigs.. then get a big big for that reason.  Whitesides, Drummond, McGee, Ibaka, Biyombo, Dedmon, Deing, Howard, Lopez, Robinson, Bryant, and Zubac will all be FAs.   All of these guys have size and can play as the third C off the bench when we need a big body.   

Power Forward - JC, Gallo and JJ.....Reports are that we wanted to bring JJ along slowly.  Well, this is the year that we have to see what we have.  I think when you look at JC, he's an enigma.. you want to say his game is based on Athleticism.. but he can shoot.   He shoots very well.   However, our offense doesn't take advantage of his abilities enough.   He should be a Kevin Love, pick and Pop Stretch 4.   He has that game but we don't use him that way. Right now, he just picks up scraps..  JJ, I believe, will be a carbon copy of JC... More Athletic, less the shooter.   We'll come back to Gallo. 

Small Forward - Hunter, CBrown.... To me, this is one of our trouble spots.   Hunter is still in development and he's being pinned as a defensive three.  He's not really a three and Defense guy in my eyes.   But I'm willing to wait on him one more half season.   His injuries are his major problem.   He plays and can be something but everytime he gets going, he gets injured.    Chaundee Brown is the least talked about Hawk.. because we know nothing about him.  But from the eye test, this guy is a diamond in the rough.  During the COVID games, I watched him.  He's good.   He's ready to step up.  Travis did a good job with this one.  IF given the chance, he could compete for the starting spot...  Get him some PT baby!

Shooting Guard - Kev, Bogi...   Where to begin?  Actually, Bogi is what you would want.. but he's gimpy.  Secondly, Maryland Kev is the guy we want.. but he's scary.  It leads to inconsistent play.  The Kev that played for Maryland would be the man with this team.  Unfortunately, he got injured and now mentally, he doesn't have the toughness to go inside anymore.  We get glimpses of Maryland Kev.. like Game 7 against Philly.  But he doesn't visit enough for us to say that the position is locked up.    By that same token.. Bogi has the attributes that we need but he gets gimpy.  a lot.   He doesn't play well because he's gimpy.  The problem is that neither of them plays good defense.

Point Guard - Trae/Delon/Shariff... No need to talk about Trae.  He does his job.  Delon though has been just what we needed.  To me, I like him on the second Unit and he makes the second unit better than the first unit (most times).  My second unit is:   Lou, Delon, Bogi, Gallo, OO.   These guys shut down  the other teams and outscore them.   That's because of the defense of Delon and OO.. the effort of Gallo, and the scoring of Gallo, Lou, and Bogi.  I suspect Lou will be gone.   There should be another scorer that can help this second unit.

Gallo.... Too many times, Gallo was our Second best player.  He gave more effort this past year than I ever remember.   I know for salary sake, he has to be traded... but in my heart,  I would keep him over Kev, Bogi, or even JC.  Still his playoffs showed me that he's aging and will continue to go down hill.  So it changes my thoughts on trading him. 

Overreaction, I don't think we need a whole lot.   What would solidify this team is consistent scoring from the SG/SF positions.  We need guys to be able to hit a corner three.. we need a guy who can put the ball on the floor.  We can't be a perimeter team. 

That's why my wishlist includes:  Hart, Lonzo Ball, or DMitch.

That's why I scoff at these proposals for Gobert, AD, and Ayton... we get one of those guys, we will have the same problem but we have just spent more money. 

Great post except the Gallo takes!

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Great post except the Gallo takes!

I don't know what you have on Gallo.

Lots of times this season, when we needed somebody to step up.. While Hunter was playing like Ass and While Kev was playing Scared, Gallo would get the ball and post up a little PF.. or he would hit from outside or he would do both.   I think at one time, the theory was we win every game where Gallo gets a dunk.  It's funny but the real part about it was that he's our only 2,3, or 4 who would go inside looking for a dunk. 

The death of us is having our 2, 3, and 4 all standing on the three point line watching Trae and Clint or OO trying to work inside.   We need that person who is not afraid to slash.

Pelicans sign Josh Hart to 3-year contract extension | NBA.com

⭕️Chaundee️⚠️Brown (@cbrownballin935) / Twitter

These guys can help!

• Premium Member

Yeah.. My depth Chart for next season could look like this:

Trae/Delon/Shariff

Hart/Kev/Blake Wesley**

Hunter/Brown/

JC/Gallo*/JJ

Clint/OO/Whitesides

*,** =Unsure...

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

In addition to that he didn't rebound.

He just isn't a rebounder.  Think we should all accept that as part of his base game.  Last year was his second best season of his career on a per minute basis for rebounding.  (6.6 rp36)

Makes it tough when we have a lot of poor rebounders in those 2-4 positions.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

He just isn't a rebounder.  Think we should all accept that as part of his base game.  Last year was his second best season of his career on a per minute basis for rebounding.  (6.6 rp36)

Makes it tough when we have a lot of poor rebounders in those 2-4 positions.

Not worth $20 mil per season...time to move on

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, theheroatl said:

Ressler isn't paying the tax to run it back. Maybe resign Delon but Gallo is absolutely getting waived before July.

JC, Hunter, Kev, and Bogi will be shopped aggressively for better or worse. Count on it.

In this aggressive shopping, don't Mess it up... That's my point.

• Premium Member

I got a bad feeling that we're going to send Cap/Bogi to Brooklyn for Simmons. 

That's overreaction. 

At this point, we should be very cautious about trying to deal for Simmons.   It bothers me to know that he's still on our wishlist.   Moreover, I think Brooklyn would happily send him to us.   But we will end up giving up Clint to do it. 

Even if we follow that up with a trade of JC/Hunter/Pick for Gobert... 

The team that's left sucks. 

We will be bigger around trae but have nobody who could score the ball.