2022-2023 College Park Skyhawks Thread

JayBirdHawk

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/16/2022 at 2:54 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

We will pretty much have a new team in College Park this season:

Cat Barber signed overseas, DaQuan Jeffries to Knicks, Tillman signed with Denver and one more I can't remember.

Cat Been a beast. He deserves a big European contract for family security 

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, Jdawgflow said:

First thing I am noticing is we still have no size.  I wonder why we are intentionally wanting to be so small on the NBA and G league team?

I find myself referencing this about once every couple or three months, but now can't dig out the quote... not long after the Heat won their 2020 championship, Schelnk was effusive in his praise of MIA and said something along the lines that he believed their going small was going to be a trend in the league.

Of course, that was the off season we drafted Godzilla.

And then, you look at the next off-season, and the final roster spot comes down to TLC or to Okafor... conventional NBA wisdom said he needed one more big on the roster, but of course, he decided he didn't.

And this season... Fields had all but committed to deploying Harkless as a PF rather than his more traditional SF... then, of course, traded him... and now, has left that hole in the depth chart unfilled.

It's pretty clear that there's been a philosophical de-emphasis on bigs in the front office.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, sturt said:

I find myself referencing this about once every couple or three months, but now can't dig out the quote... not long after the Heat won their 2020 championship, Schelnk was effusive in his praise of MIA and said something along the lines that he believed their going small was going to be a trend in the league.

Of course, that was the off season we drafted Godzilla.

And then, you look at the next off-season, and the final roster spot comes down to TLC or to Okafor... conventional NBA wisdom said he needed one more big on the roster, but of course, he decided he didn't.

And this season... Fields had all but committed to deploying Harkless as a PF rather than his more traditional SF... then, of course, traded him... and now, has left that hole in the depth chart unfilled.

It's pretty clear that there's been a philosophical de-emphasis on bigs in the front office.

I remember this quote also about wanting play like Miami with a smaller lineup.  I have to trust they know what they are doing but I have to admit I am skeptical about intentionally not having another true center. 

• Premium Member

Another thought I have right now as my youngest is having severe growing pains in his legs (which are no joke for any of you lucky enough to not have kids with these), I know who I want us to trade for.

we need the Moose goggles back for a backup center who can shoot 3s.  Only owed 3.5mil each of the next two seasons.  Not exactly sure how the trade would go down but he is my choice for now after a quick lookup.