• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2022-2023 College Park Skyhawks Thread

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Jdawgflow said:

I remember this quote also about wanting play like Miami with a smaller lineup.  I have to trust they know what they are doing but I have to admit I am skeptical about intentionally not having another true center. 

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'd only add that, while it's not my money, it makes no sense to me that a MLB team would show up to games with 25 players in the dug out instead of 26, nor that a NFL team would show up with 52 players instead of 53. It does make sense to me that you don't go over the tax line if you can help it. But, then, it does not make sense to me that a 15th player (albeit one with less than 2 yrs exp) can be had for something that still allows you to stay below that line.

Perhaps the plan on that part is to wait until College Park's season gets started (thus, your 2-way players might not be with the big club)...?

Hope so.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sturt said:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'd only add that, while it's not my money, it makes no sense to me that a MLB team would show up to games with 25 players in the dug out instead of 26, nor that a NFL team would show up with 52 players instead of 53. It does make sense to me that you don't go over the tax line if you can help it. But, then, it does not make sense to me that a 15th player (albeit one with less than 2 yrs exp) can be had for something that still allows you to stay below that line.

Perhaps the plan on that part is to wait until College Park's season gets started (thus, your 2-way players might not be with the big club)...?

Hope so.

The way it is looking now, I feel that it is going to hinge on if and when Bogi gets better before we make any decisions on trades. Also the December 15th mark when players can be traded as well as Jay pointed out earlier is probably another marker.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Jdawgflow said:

The way it is looking now, I feel that it is going to hinge on if and when Bogi gets better before we make any decisions on trades. Also the December 15th mark when players can be traded as well as Jay pointed out earlier is probably another marker.

January 10th is also another critical date for Martin and Vit's guarantee dates.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Jdawgflow said:

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

January 10th is also another critical date for Martin and Vit's guarantee dates.

Not out of the question, and I wouldn't even call it "rare," but maybe "comparatively unusual" to see a team make a December trade. But yeah, once those guarantee dates draw closer, some roster churning begins in earnest.

And yes, BogBog's status is a critical piece of intel. Optimally, you want both the proven vet that was such a weapon for us in the 2020-21 post season in your quiver/rotation, as well as the rookie sensation who dropped to you in the draft unexpectedly. You need both of those, really, to consider yourself a viable contender come April/May/June... if you only have one potent wing threat, it's doable but discernibly harder, and if you have neither, you're almost certainly just kidding yourself about hanging a championship banner, conference or certainly league.

Circling back to my point... I'm not even talking trade. I assume there is ample interest in making a trade or the Jae Crowder noise wouldn't have risen to the volume it did in the last few weeks... and I'm content with my unsubstantiated faith they've made the smarter choice in not making whatever deals got discussed. Certainly if that attitude changes, I'm intrigued.

Rather, I'm talking merely filling the #15 hole with, at least, a low-cost inexperienced somebody who can credibly defend the low post. That's all I'm saying.

Why not?

Money?

Can't be. Can't persuade me that your payroll is in $150m territory, but you're really concerned with signing Charles Bassey (for example) to a $1.6m non-guaranteed deal.

So, I come back to timing... it may be perceived that, as-is, you have 16 players (including the two 2-ways) on your bench, and it's not until the Skyhawks season gets cranked up that your bench shrinks. That explanation is somewhat reasonable... though, on the other hand, please let's not pretend that it helps you very much that your two 2-ways are a PG and a SG. As was said a few posts ago, we're thin in the low post.