• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Squawkers go on the record: Predict the highest profile acquisition of the off-season

sturt

I think we end up with Rudy on a trade thats a overpay that pisses me off that might make me really start questioning things in the front office a bit.  

Now if we somehow can pull rudy for a package of say  Capela, Huerter or Bogi, and 16     without touching Hunter, Collins, or Okongwu  then im on board big time with it and think Schlenk is doing really good work. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
57 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

He’s got a hell of a body. Does he have another few years of solid ball left or is he about done? 

His exit from Milwaukee was bad.   I don't think he was given a real shot since.  Mostly because of the contract. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, warcore said:

He also stated when he arrived that he would not be doing a rebuild -- but a retooling. 

Maybe he said something in July, August or September that I missed. I do know that he was asked about Dwight Howard's future with the team almost as soon as he was hired, and whatever he said was along the lines of "We love Dwight. He's one of the best big men in the league," which naturally could be taken to mean he thought they would build around Dwight... and almost the same thing was said about Millsap, as I recall. Bud apparently made a plea to keep Millsap, but they were both gone by October.

But by October, there was this, in no uncertain terms... this was going to be a rebuild...

https://www.nba.com/news/morning-tip-atlanta-hawks-shift-direction-tony-ressler-mike-budenholzer#/

2022-06-19_21-12-03.png

2022-06-19_21-12-46.png

39 minutes ago, sturt said:

Maybe he said something in July, August or September that I missed. I do know that he was asked about Dwight Howard's future with the team almost as soon as he was hired, and whatever he said was along the lines of "We love Dwight. He's one of the best big men in the league," which naturally could be taken to mean he thought they would build around Dwight... and almost the same thing was said about Millsap, as I recall. Bud apparently made a plea to keep Millsap, but they were both gone by October.

His words were 'retooling while remaining competitive' when he arrived. 

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, warcore said:

I see that, but then I tried to scan down the comments from oldest to newest... not finding the link to the quote, and pardon that I'm often a skeptic when it comes to fans who criticize GMs or coaches... it's not that unusual to find they take liberties if they happen to not like someone, right?

I'd even tried googling it, but nothing came up.

Still, as suggested, I could imagine he said it in those first three months after his hire. I think it practically goes without saying that professional wisdom any time any of us take a new job, it's better to speak in some more vague, less specific terms until one is able to get "the lay of the land." That there was some explicit public commitment to rebuild , though, by October is sufficient to me that he's not dishonest.

And that he's been fairly consistent ever since--really as consistent as I've ever seen a GM be in my 50-ish years of being a sports fan--kinda debunks to me any allegation that we shouldn't take him seriously. But maybe that's just me.

11 hours ago, warcore said:

How do you sell tickets by giving the complete truth in that scenario?  Part of his job is keeping the fans interested.  Nearly every rebuilding franchise uses the same language.  In fact I think any GM saying his team will be "competitive" means they are in rebuilding mode.  If you plan to win games your goal is the playoffs or title, not competitive.  

The goofiest thing ever was the "playoff guarantee".  

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

How do you sell tickets by giving the complete truth in that scenario?  Part of his job is keeping the fans interested.  Nearly every rebuilding franchise uses the same language.  In fact I think any GM saying his team will be "competitive" means they are in rebuilding mode.  If you plan to win games your goal is the playoffs or title, not competitive.  

Exactly.  It would be remarkable if a GM that was rebuilding openly said "we have no intention of competing and plan to lose as many games as possible; remember season tickets go on sale next week!"  That all say they intend to compete even when it cannot be clearer that they are going to lose games by design.  This is a complete non-event.

In contrast, the playoff guarantee was a remarkable statement.  GMs are incredibly reluctant to make that kind of statement.  It is notable both for how audacious it was and for how big of a fail it was.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

ya.... that's what I was trying to say originally. Just with much less words than sturt. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, warcore said:

ya.... that's what I was trying to say originally. Just with much less words than sturt. 

Long form communication and a long attention span is getting to be a lost art, but it’s also important to know how to make your point quickly without using a lot of words.  If you need the attention of a business executive you better get to the point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

@Final_quest that's just it... a reasoned argument--like business executives tend to want to hear--can't be built on tweets and bumpersticker lines... the key is to know when you're in a conversation that requires the former or the latter.

(... but we digress... )

3 hours ago, sturt said:

@Final_quest that's just it... a reasoned argument--like business executives tend to want to hear--can't be built on tweets and bumpersticker lines... the key is to know when you're in a conversation that requires the former or the latter.

(... but we digress... )

I’m telling you.  Business communication is bullet points and executive summaries.  

My former mentor makes $800k per year, he taught me the value of keeping emails short.  If you wanted his attention, you better not be writing paragraphs with blocks of text.  

If they ask you to explain in more detail, then you use more words.  On a sports forum you can write however you want.

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

I’m telling you.  Business communication is bullet points and executive summaries.  

My former mentor makes $800k per year, he taught me the value of keeping emails short.  If you wanted his attention, you better not be writing paragraphs with blocks of text.  

If they ask you to explain in more detail, then you use more words.  On a sports forum you can write however you want.

This is a great example, ironically enough, that context matters and blanket statements are just that.

And did I share with you at some point how much I make annually?

Right. Wonder why I didn't.

So... circling back to why we're here... in this thread... it's not this, and it's not even about the "can Schlenk be trusted to mean what he says" discussion...