• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2022 Hawks Summer League

JayBirdHawk

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

Cooper had no pro experience last summer and had his contract offer for this year before this year's summer league.  No idea what you are saying here.

You realize that Glover was the same age as Martin, right?

Tell me how good these summer league MVPs were in the NBA:

Cam Thomas MVP

Davion Mitchell MVP

Louis King MVP

Tyus Jones MVP

Glen Rice Jr. MVP

Josh Selby MVP

Jerryd Bayless MVP

etc. etc.

Summer league is an extremely small sample size against thrown together teams lacking in structure or organization and riddled with g-league talent.  Do you think there is any possible way that Cam Thomas was ranked as high as Scottie Barnes after last season?  No.  Of course not.  But he was better in summer league.  But that means jack to GMs.

Cooper put up 1.7 Win Shares in his only season in college while leading Auburn to a 13-14 losing record in the SEC.

Martin put up more win shares than that every single season culminating in a 3.9 Win Share number last year.  Martin had winning records every year in college including leading Connecticut to a 23-10 winning record last year.

Not sure how you are measuring "better college career" but I'm not seeing it.

Cooper was generally rated higher in media projections but fell to the same part of the draft as Martin.  Why?  Probably was something other than summer league play.  In terms of summer league play, he had a great run last season.  He actually scored more efficiently than Martin in summer league and was #3 in the league in assists in his first summer league run.  Did that run mean **** to Atlanta?  No.  They refused to give him even a two-way contract. Do you think that might have been more for the same reasons he fell in the draft or do you think that was more driven by him not winning MVP in the summer league or something?  

This year they offered him a two-way contract without waiting to see how he performed in the summer league.  Don't you think they would have waited if they cared a lot about how he performed in those 5 exhibition games?  They didn't.  Because they didn't really care.

Summer league is a fun exhibition that offers a bare minimum of time for teams to work with their players.  Nothing more or less.

Cam Thomas and Davion are gonna be ballers, the rest no so much.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 7/22/2022 at 4:51 PM, AHF said:

Cooper had no pro experience last summer and had his contract offer for this year before this year's summer league.  No idea what you are saying here.

This year Cooper had more pro experience so we are comparing what the Hawks think of the 2 players now.  Cooper was thought highly of before this year's summer league while Tyrese Martin was an after thought.  After summer league this year.  stay with me here...That all changed.  Now Martin was though of as more valuable and got a roster spot while the team contemplated other options in regards to Cooper.  Still with me?

• Moderators
Just now, Peoriabird said:

This year Cooper had more pro experience so we are comparing what the Hawks think of the 2 players now.  Cooper was thought highly of before this year's summer league while Tyrese Martin was an after thought.  After summer league this year.  stay with me here...That all changed.  Now Martin was though of as more valuable and go a roster spot while the team contemplated other options in regards to Cooper.  Still with me?

Don't follow you at all.

Cooper got his contract offer before summer league.  The team had no intention of making him anything other than a two-way offer this year.  So this year's summer league is completely irrelevant to Cooper.

Martin was one of several defensive wings that Atlanta added to the roster this summer.  They clearly wanted to emphasize useful defensive depth on the roster and they needed a low salary player to fill the slot in order to stay near the tax line.  The fact that he had no bargaining leverage and so would sign a mostly unguaranteed deal fits extremely well for a team that will likely want to adjust their roster to slip under the luxury tax line later this year.  His summer league play may very well have been a positive for him but I don't think that slotting in a minimum unguaranteed contract is a coincidence and strongly believe that their scouting on him went a lot farther than his exhibition play.  Remember he is almost 2.5 years older than Cooper is today so it makes perfect sense to keep Cooper on a 2-way and roster a more developed wing to flesh out the depth at a position where your two biggest health risks play (Bogi and Hunter).

• Like 3

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, AHF said:

Don't follow you at all.

Cooper got his contract offer before summer league.  The team had no intention of making him anything other than a two-way offer this year.  So this year's summer league is completely irrelevant to Cooper.

Martin was one of several defensive wings that Atlanta added to the roster this summer.  They clearly wanted to emphasize useful defensive depth on the roster and they needed a low salary player to fill the slot in order to stay near the tax line.  The fact that he had no bargaining leverage and so would sign a mostly unguaranteed deal fits extremely well for a team that will likely want to adjust their roster to slip under the luxury tax line later this year.  His summer league play may very well have been a positive for him but I don't think that slotting in a minimum unguaranteed contract is a coincidence and strongly believe that their scouting on him went a lot farther than his exhibition play.  Remember he is almost 2.5 years older than Cooper is today so it makes perfect sense to keep Cooper on a 2-way and roster a more developed wing to flesh out the depth at a position where your two biggest health risks play (Bogi and Hunter).

LOL!

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

LOL!

You are getting that Cooper's offer came before his 2022 summer league at this point, right?  That means his contract was already decided before then and nothing has changed.  The team wasn't waiting to see how he did in summer league before making that decision.  Why?  It wasn't an important data point to them.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, AHF said:

You are getting that Cooper's offer came before his 2022 summer league at this point, right?  That means his contract was already decided before then and nothing has changed.  The team wasn't waiting to see how he did in summer league before making that decision.  Why?  It wasn't an important data point to them.

So the plan all along was to sign Martin to the main roster as insurance for Hunter and Bogi?  By the way, they signed Cooper today!

The Atlanta Hawks have re-signed Sharife Cooper to a Two-Way contract, a league source tells .

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

By the way, they signed Cooper today!

The Atlanta Hawks have re-signed Sharife Cooper to a Two-Way contract, a league source tells

He was issued his QO at the start of FAcy, Cooper had the option to accept or not, the Hawks had until July 16th to pull the offer, they didn't- Cooper signed it today.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

So the plan all along was to sign Martin to the main roster as insurance for Hunter and Bogi?  By the way, they signed Cooper today!

The Atlanta Hawks have re-signed Sharife Cooper to a Two-Way contract, a league source tells .

The plan all along was to sign Cooper to a 2-way.  I assume the plan became to minimize roster costs after we traded Huerter away to get close to the luxury tax line.  At that point your best option is a minimum salary that isn’t fully guaranteed as it gives you multiple ways of getting under the tax line.  To the extent that Martin was signed more for his game, it would be his mature age (he is way older than OO and the same age as Trae) and 4 years of college basketball track record than for 5 exhibition games where he struggled the first two and did well the last three.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I'm not sure the concern with Cooper.  I get we all want to see the guys we drafted do well but where's the opportunity for Cooper?  We have Trae, Murray, and Holiday all getting PG minutes this year.   And in reality Cat Barber outplayed Cooper by a good bit in G league.  But he's 28 already.   Not to mention Skyler maybe better than both.  So I think Hawks were ok with Cooper finding another deal with another team but he didn't. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I'm not sure the concern with Cooper.  I get we all want to see the guys we drafted do well but where's the opportunity for Cooper?  We have Trae, Murray, and Holiday all getting PG minutes this year.   And in reality Cat Barber outplayed Cooper by a good bit in G league.  But he's 28 already.   Not to mention Skyler maybe better than both.  So I think Hawks were ok with Cooper finding another deal with another team but he didn't. 

It's the whole idea for the GLeague - to have a farm system to develop guys for the future and hopefully at some point to join the big club. 

I'm hoping by midseason Cooper is progressing where he can be getting regular NBA minutes to take A. Holiday's spot. He has his work cut out for him. He needs to really take command of the SkyHawks.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 7/22/2022 at 5:09 PM, AHF said:

Don't follow you at all.

Now do you follow?

The Hawks have announced that they have waived Sharife Cooper. So, the team still has a two-way spot available.

• Premium Member
On 7/22/2022 at 5:33 PM, AHF said:

Sharife Cooper joined the Hawks’ 2022 Las Vegas Summer League team for the second summer in a row, but he found considerably less success this time around. Hampered by a hurt thumb on his shooting hand, Cooper averaged just 4.4 points, 4.2 assists and 1.2 rebounds as well as below 20% shooting from the field across five games, which seems to have contributed to the decision by the organization to move on from the 21-year-old.

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Sharife Cooper joined the Hawks’ 2022 Las Vegas Summer League team for the second summer in a row, but he found considerably less success this time around. Hampered by a hurt thumb on his shooting hand, Cooper averaged just 4.4 points, 4.2 assists and 1.2 rebounds as well as below 20% shooting from the field across five games, which seems to have contributed to the decision by the organization to move on from the 21-year-old.

Coop will be lucky to get a TC invite anywhere. Coop is likely a full time gleague dude if even that.

• Moderators
23 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Wow.  Look how smart i am everybody.  tenor.gif?itemid=9564847

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
11 Days. 75 Games. All 30 NBA Teams. The NBA2K23 Summer League was one for the books as the event generated a record estimated $125 million economic impact for the city of Las Vegas. The 18th annual Las Vegas Summer League, co-founded by HallPass Media CEO & President, Albert Hall, along with his VSL Properties business partner, Warren LeGarie, broke records across the board in 2022; the most notable being its estimated $125 million stimulus of the local Las Vegas economy.

In addition to the economic boost seen in the local Las Vegas community, the NBA2K23 Summer League also saw a significant, 34% up-tick in viewership with millions of fans engaging with the event from outside of the Las Vegas city limits. Fans globally watched more than 22 million hours of Summer League action across the world’s leading sports broadcast networks like ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and NBA TV,  via HallPass Media