We Love Clint Capela!!

Diesel

• Premium Member

So...  Last night I was watching a podcast out of Minnesota.  I was trying to get a vibe for why would we trade Clint Capela to them.   It was a three man show... and let me tell you, they had so much Love and Admiration for Clint and what he does.. it looked like a school girl that had been asked to the Senior Prom by the Star QB/Valedictorian.    They talked about his match with KAT.. and then they talked about his strong points... rebounding, defense.   They mentioned his not being a great offensive player but were so pleased with him in what he could do that they didn't care about what he didn't do well.  So opposite of How we act..

So I thought about us.  IF we're the premiere place for Hawks information and discussion....  then it would be Shameful to Clint to pull up and feel that no knowledgable Hawks fan appreciate him.

So I made this thread for those of us who want to send the message out to the world that we appreciate the things that Clint Capela does for our team... If you agree... give your appreciation too.  so that when he or his agent or his people signs in, he will know that he is appreciated.

I appreciate Clint Capela!

I love him too.  The options to upgrade him are extremely dangerous to me.  Honestly he and Collins, when healthy, are a nice pairing.  It has to be a great deal for the Hawks to consider it.  

We've waited literally forever for a good center and now people can't move him on fast enough.  He is not a problem that needs solving IMO.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, txsting said:

I love him too.  The options to upgrade him are extremely dangerous to me.  Honestly he and Collins, when healthy, are a nice pairing.  It has to be a great deal for the Hawks to consider it.  

We've waited literally forever for a good center and now people can't move him on fast enough.  He is not a problem that needs solving IMO.

Txting.. you have read my mind.  We have a problem with "big Centers".. well we can go out and get a Big Center FA for Cheap... that we can platoon in to play against Big Centers.   Sheez.. we can pick up Robin Lopez or JaVale McGee for the Vet Min... and be done.  Tristen Thompson,  DeAndre Jordan, even Dedmon...  all minimum guys that can come off the bench and play when we face big bigs...

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Txting.. you have read my mind.  We have a problem with "big Centers".. well we can go out and get a Big Center FA for Cheap... that we can platoon in to play against Big Centers.   Sheez.. we can pick up Robin Lopez or JaVale McGee for the Vet Min... and be done.  Tristen Thompson,  DeAndre Jordan, even Dedmon...  all minimum guys that can come off the bench and play when we face big bigs...

Is this sarcasm?  Sounds like you are arguing against Capela. 

I like Capela.  I think Capela/OO is one of the better center rotations in the league.   I don't like that he can't hit a shot that's more than six inches from the rim and can't be in the game in the last 2 minutes.   

At the end of the day i don't think our problem was at center.   I do think we way overrate the need to pay big bucks for one but that's just my personal preference.   

5 hours ago, Diesel said:

So...  Last night I was watching a podcast out of Minnesota.  I was trying to get a vibe for why would we trade Clint Capela to them.   It was a three man show... and let me tell you, they had so much Love and Admiration for Clint and what he does.. it looked like a school girl that had been asked to the Senior Prom by the Star QB/Valedictorian.    They talked about his match with KAT.. and then they talked about his strong points... rebounding, defense.   They mentioned his not being a great offensive player but were so pleased with him in what he could do that they didn't care about what he didn't do well.  So opposite of How we act..

So I thought about us.  IF we're the premiere place for Hawks information and discussion....  then it would be Shameful to Clint to pull up and feel that no knowledgable Hawks fan appreciate him.

So I made this thread for those of us who want to send the message out to the world that we appreciate the things that Clint Capela does for our team... If you agree... give your appreciation too.  so that when he or his agent or his people signs in, he will know that he is appreciated.

I appreciate Clint Capela!

This is disingenuous. If the offer of Capela that they were speaking of is for KAT, they wouldn't be anywhere near optimistic on Clint. It's because they want him at a major discounted rate which makes negative sense for the Hawks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

4 hours...27 views... and Nothing.

Maybe we don't love Capela??

Fans get used to a players production, they watch all the games and see all of their mistakes so the grass seems greener elsewhere.  If we were to go back to Mike Muscala starting at C we would be begging for CC to return.  We take his rebounding and help D for granted, and only seem to notice him when he misses a layup.

You can pretty much go to any teams' board and find a ton of posters that hate "insert" player.  It's because they see all their mistakes.  You would think Tatum and Brown suck if you go read a Boston board.  

The other issue is that the 2 biggest difference makers that are realisitcally available for the Hawks to acquire play the Center position.  So we can't keep Capela if we trade for one of those guys.

My thoughts.  I want the 2020 Capela back.  He took a step back this year, but i know he wasn't 100% healthy.  He is still a top 10 C in the NBA and we would feel a huge impact if he isn't replaced by an Ayton/Gobert type.  I am open to moving him b/c I want more floor spacing (assuming we aren't sacrificing rebounding/D) but no way I'm trading him just to get rid of him.  It would be for an upgrade.

Even with his lack of spacing and bad FT shooting, he is a major positive to our team and makes us a lot better.  

• Like 2

I appreciate and love Capela as our center

EXCEPT

when he goes to the free throw line and throws those line drives at the basket.

For a long time, Atlanta had really needed a PG and a center.  All of you remember this.  The Hawks now have two pretty good players at these two positions.  Last season's Hawk team wasn't really healthy.  Two have had off season surgery.  Don't throw Capela away and replace him with someone who makes two times his salary if you want any money left in the payroll pot.

😎

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Is this sarcasm?  Sounds like you are arguing against Capela. 

I like Capela.  I think Capela/OO is one of the better center rotations in the league.   I don't like that he can't hit a shot that's more than six inches from the rim and can't be in the game in the last 2 minutes.   

At the end of the day i don't think our problem was at center.   I do think we way overrate the need to pay big bucks for one but that's just my personal preference.   

No.. I'm saying keep Cap.. Sign somebody like Robin Lopez to be our Third C.. and when we face the Embiid's of the world, platoon in Lopez to play some damn defense and spell Clint and OO. 

I believe that was supposed to be Deing's role... but we only used him sparingly. 

• Like 1

They already know Clints my guy and i think he is a very valuable piece for this team.  Thats why i am looking to upgrade other positions more than Center 1st. Because i don't feel center is a problem and is our biggest strength between 1st and 2nd team on the entire team.   Clint even helped Collins become a much better player by teaching him defense and working with him on it.  Thats huge to me and shows what type of person and player he really is.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AtLaS said:

Fans get used to a players production, they watch all the games and see all of their mistakes so the grass seems greener elsewhere.  If we were to go back to Mike Muscala starting at C we would be begging for CC to return.  We take his rebounding and help D for granted, and only seem to notice him when he misses a layup.

You can pretty much go to any teams' board and find a ton of posters that hate "insert" player.  It's because they see all their mistakes.  You would think Tatum and Brown suck if you go read a Boston board.  

The other issue is that the 2 biggest difference makers that are realisitcally available for the Hawks to acquire play the Center position.  So we can't keep Capela if we trade for one of those guys.

My thoughts.  I want the 2020 Capela back.  He took a step back this year, but i know he wasn't 100% healthy.  He is still a top 10 C in the NBA and we would feel a huge impact if he isn't replaced by an Ayton/Gobert type.  I am open to moving him b/c I want more floor spacing (assuming we aren't sacrificing rebounding/D) but no way I'm trading him just to get rid of him.  It would be for an upgrade.

Even with his lack of spacing and bad FT shooting, he is a major positive to our team and makes us a lot better.  

The elephant in the room is Okongwu.   

While a guy like Capela is usually a WS/48 darling when he gets spoonfed at the rim ( he posted a .195 WS/48, which is All-Star level ), Okongwu was even better.  OO posted a .202 WS/48.  Also, Okongwu just passes the eye test.  He's better around the rim.  He can make 70%+ of his FTs, and his man defense is arguably better than Capela's, as well has his rim protection.

Okongwu's biggest issue is staying on the floor.  He constantly stayed in foul trouble, which limited him at times.  The Hawks play, if they lose either Capela or Collins, is to give Okongwu a legit chance to log starter's minutes.  And if he gets starter's minutes, we'll get to see what kind of impact this kid can really have on a game.

Capela is about as good as he'll get at this point in his career, which is a very good asset to have.  But Okongwu's ceiling might be much higher.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, willthepureshooter said:

Clint Capela is at the bottom of the league (all players) when it comes to converting easy baskets at the rim. They say love is blind.

Hate is blind.

It makes you miss the good things. 

• Premium Member
48 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Also, Okongwu just passes the eye test. 

Not exactly.  Okongwu is still reactionary and not defensive.  What I mean is that Guys like Clint and Delon know what the defense is trying to do and they anticipates where the ball is going to go and they can direct others...  Okongwu just follows the ball like a dog on the bone.. that's why he gets so many fouls.  Defenses can still use his exuberance against him.  Right now, Okongwu is younger and more energetic maybe even more explosive on defense but not a better defender. 

• Premium Member
51 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Capela is about as good as he'll get at this point in his career, which is a very good asset to have.  But Okongwu's ceiling might be much higher.

I think the contracts are set up and it can work out that when Clint is coming down, Okongwu can be his successor with their roles (in terms of starting) changing... naturally.   However, OO is not ready yet. 

• Premium Member

Just throwin this out there.

@Sothron indicates his source indicates there's strong reason to believe CC is going to be gone soon.

So. Rehearsing the obvious. We've discussed to the nth degree Gobert. Same Ayton.

I realize it would take a third team, but why no discussion whatsoever (as far as I've seen) of Myles Turner? I realize, too, he's on an expiring, but at $18m and having his Bird rights... and if I'm not mistaken, there's nothing to keep from extending him if you'd want...

As far as I've ever understood, his defense is on-par with Capela's. His main deficit seems to be in the rebounding department, but with the right PF, that may be something you can compensate for... and he shoots from the arc just well enough to have to be respected.

Yes, no, maybe?

2 hours ago, sturt said:

Just throwin this out there.

@Sothron indicates his source indicates there's strong reason to believe CC is going to be gone soon.

So. Rehearsing the obvious. We've discussed to the nth degree Gobert. Same Ayton.

I realize it would take a third team, but why no discussion whatsoever (as far as I've seen) of Myles Turner? I realize, too, he's on an expiring, but at $18m and having his Bird rights... and if I'm not mistaken, there's nothing to keep from extending him if you'd want...

As far as I've ever understood, his defense is on-par with Capela's. His main deficit seems to be in the rebounding department, but with the right PF, that may be something you can compensate for... and he shoots from the arc just well enough to have to be respected.

Yes, no, maybe?

My thoughts on this is if you are going to get a worse player than clint then why trade clint in the 1st place?  Turner would probably cost something similar to what you get for clint i would imagine in a trade.  The only way i see this making since at all is if you turn clint into a big piece at a more important position that you need big time like SG and fleeced a team getting turner back much cheaper than you traded clint for.

• Like 1