• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome A.J. Griffin

marco102

Jr. needs a number change.  I understand both his and pop’s numbers are retired by the franchise but he has to understand that 38% of my player evaluation comes from aesthetics. 

If he’s ever to regain his bounce then it can’t happen in #14.  #14 is not an athletic number, #14 is reserved for some sharpshooting Euro-comboguard bench reserve for the Spurs. 

He’s gotta wait out a couple of bums on #4.  #3 might be a lil touchy right now and marketing probably advised that they have to liquidate inventory before wanting to print new ones.  Leave #0 for Gwu’ when he’s ready to really cash in on his name :stirthepot:.  Stay strong, brotha.  #s 8/24 may be held out on esteem but #34 is right there and I’ll casually throw some Ray Allen comps in a game thread for you and run... but #14 ain’t it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

#14 is reserved for some sharpshooting Euro-comboguard bench reserve for the Spurs. 

Gary Neal lol or Dennyyyyyyyy Gareeeeeeeeeeennnn thareeeeeeeeee 3? :huh:

15 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

Leave #0 for Gwu’ when he’s ready to really cash in on his name :stirthepot:.

Oh boy!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Could he have gone with #7?

I think J-Ho is one of the bums he’d have to beat out for that. 

#6 has potential.  He could be the “Six-Shooter” but he absolutely cannot start his career with a journeyman number. 

Edited by MaceCase
  • Haha 2

Hawks' forgotten player.  What do we really have with this 1st round pick?  Because we did not see him in summer league does not mean that he does not exist.  Our 2nd round pick is good enough to have been signed to a regular contract.  

He was a terrific scorer in school.  Can he duplicate this in the NBA?  Or will they be able to completely shut him down?  

:smug:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Random revelation but:

AJ’s shooting is going to translate to the NBA.

I don’t have any analytical proof, but I’m calling it now.

His health and playing time are the big unknowns that will play a role. But, if he can hold up his end on defense, he should see the floor plenty, and will absolutely be as good (or better) than Kev from deep.

Book it!

Of course his shooting will translate to the NBA.  That is his carrying skill.  The question is whether he will bring anything else to the table.  Good health, which hopefully turns back the clock on his athleticism, will go along way toward helping him add value in other ways.

• Like 1

• Moderators
20 hours ago, Packfill said:

Of course his shooting will translate to the NBA.  That is his carrying skill.  The question is whether he will bring anything else to the table.  Good health, which hopefully turns back the clock on his athleticism, will go along way toward helping him add value in other ways.

Shooting translating isn't a fait accompli.  Plenty of elite college shooters (like Salim Stoudamire) who don't ever see their shooting really translate for a variety of reasons.  

Agree with you that bringing more than that is very important to his ceiling but it is going to take work and focus to bring the shot as a starting point too.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Shooting translating isn't a fait accompli.  Plenty of elite college shooters (like Salim Stoudamire) who don't ever see their shooting really translate for a variety of reasons.  

Agree with you that bringing more than that is very important to his ceiling but it is going to take work and focus to bring the shot as a starting point too.  

I agree.  If his shooting does not translate then the likelihood though is that he is not an NBA caliber rotation player - so I view that shooting ability as foundational to his NBA skill set.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Should have no problem with shooting.  Same size ball and goal which is the same height.  If he had the talent to score, then he still has this talent.  

🧑‍🔧 Hoping to see a lot of him, Tyrese Martin and Jalen Johnson early in the regular season...

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Just finished re-reading these posts.  Seems that we here at the Squawk were excited about this newest Hawk.  Then, for some reason, he has been dropped from our thought process.

We've been told that Bogi is still not 100%.  He's expected to be ready by the time the season opens.  This is taken to mean that A J Griffin is there with all the other Hawks and ready to preform.

I've read here and on RealGM that he is good on defense or that he can't play defense at all, depending on which poster I'm reading at the moment.  It seems that everyone wants him to bulk up, gain about 10-15 pounds while others want him to lose 10-15 pounds.

All seem to agree that he is a real knock down shooter.  Some are excited about this part of his game while others believe he is too slow and will be unable to score in the NBA. Any one hear anything about how A J Griffin is doing?

🧑‍🔧 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

Just finished re-reading these posts.  Seems that we here at the Squawk were excited about this newest Hawk.  Then, for some reason, he has been dropped from our thought process.

We've been told that Bogi is still not 100%.  He's expected to be ready by the time the season opens.  This is taken to mean that A J Griffin is there with all the other Hawks and ready to preform.

I've read here and on RealGM that he is good on defense or that he can't play defense at all, depending on which poster I'm reading at the moment.  It seems that everyone wants him to bulk up, gain about 10-15 pounds while others want him to lose 10-15 pounds.

All seem to agree that he is a real knock down shooter.  Some are excited about this part of his game while others believe he is too slow and will be unable to score in the NBA. Any one hear anything about how A J Griffin is doing?

🧑‍🔧 

All we know is he's health and participating in camp. No word on how he's looking though. He's in this clip with about 17 seconds to go with a drive and score.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...