• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome A.J. Griffin

marco102

The league is starting to take notice of what we have! 

4. AJ Griffin | Atlanta Hawks

Stats: 9.6 PPG, 2.0 RPG, 0.7 APG | ROY odds: +30000

play

0:38

Trae Young feeds AJ Griffin down low for OT win at the buzzer

The Hawks win in overtime as Trae Young feeds AJ Griffin all alone under the basket at the buzzer.

Griffin was likely surprised to fall out of the lottery on draft night, but he ended up in a seemingly perfect spot alongside Trae Young in Atlanta. Griffin's dead-eye spot-up shooting, quick release and unlimited confidence pulling up off the dribble or running off screens has eased his transition.

He hasn't had to dribble or think as much in the faster-tempo NBA as he did in college, and he has shown some real peskiness defensively using his length, strong frame and high activity level to make an impact when called upon off the bench. He'll need to improve his ability to create off more than one dribble to take the next step in his development. Considering he's the second-youngest player in the NBA and already seeing quality rotation minutes for a likely playoff team, the Hawks are surely thrilled to have plucked him in the middle of the first round.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

His defense has been the most surprising since I realized he's more than just a 3pt shooter. Good Stuff!

Yeah, my initial take on him was his defense wouldn't be as bad as some scouts indicated.  I didn't expect he'd be this good this soon though. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, marco102 said:

Man, I look forward to see what he ultimately becomes. 

Didn't realize his steal percentage was this high.

Anticipation and timing.  Good solid footwork and he's doing this without being a gambler.

• Like 2

It doesn't hurt.  His mamma is very athletic.  His daddy played in the NBA for quiet a spell.  Then they got together and we see the results.  He has been trained well by his parents and it shows!

He had a history of injuries, therefore his stock dropped.  Hawks were there and they let him slide no further.  He appears to be 100% healthy and we all hope this continues.

Hawks have 2 starters out for a while.  JJ & AJ filled in and did well.  We hope this continues tonight.

GO ATL HAWKS !!

😇

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Too bad he wasn't allowed on the floor to close out the game last night.  That wasn't his fault.  He had done everything right while he was in the game but Nate didn't let him finish.

🥲

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1