• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome to Atlanta, Tyrese Martin

NBASupes

This is from Sam Vecenie's draft guide.

68. Tyrese Martin W | Connecticut | DOB: March 7, 1999 (Age: 23) | 6-6 | 215 LBS | Hometown: Allentown, Pa.

STRENGTHS: I don’t know if Martin was the toughest player in college basketball this past season, but he certainly was among them. Comes in at 6-foot-6 and 215 pounds, but he’s absolutely scrapping and clawing for every single inch out there. Plays physically and with an insatiable motor. He’s an energy-giver who does all the little things well. He crashes the offensive glass and switches across the positional spectrum defensively, particularly succeeding against bigger wings. He’s a sharp team defender who is always in the right spot, always trying to put his body on the line for his team. From a skill perspective, Martin has improved a lot as a shooter and can at least be trusted to make a spot 3. Hit his catch-and-shoot attempts at a 43.3 percent clip, per Synergy. He was a straight-line driver out of the post and mid-post. He occasionally had to create offense for a skill-challenged Connecticut team, and he did so as a senior when he had to, but that won’t be his game at the NBA level. 

WEAKNESSES: Doesn’t have great length, which could be a problem as he attempts to defend up the lineup more often in the NBA. Only has a 6-foot-8 wingspan. He’s a late-career 3-point improvement guy who hasn’t really shown a ton in the way of free-throw-based improvement. Additionally, he’s not really an NBA-level shot creator. There is a significant chance he might be a total liability on offense if his shooting doesn’t come together. He’s not a high-level playmaker. He’s not a terrific ballhandler. The shot has a question. I buy everything else, but Martin is going to have to shoot.

SUMMARY: Martin has a willingness to do all the little things and all the dirty work. You just want to buy into him in such a substantial way. He’s going to do whatever it takes to succeed. If he shoots at a 36 percent clip from 3, I think he probably sticks as the back end of a rotation. That makes him worth a two-way contract at the very least. He’s someone I can see getting a two-way and coming in and helping a team as a rookie just by eating minutes.

• Like 3

Martin is going to impress some folks. Depending on how other moves shake out, he doesn’t realize that he is supposed to be a scrub. He is going to catch a few vets off guard in training camp. He will force guys to practice with more intensity or get embarrassed. 

If Nate is a real one I bet he will see some of himself in the kid and how he approaches the game.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Worse case scenario Martin is a 6’6 Mays with a little more moxy to him.

He's nowhere near as skilled as Mays but he might have a better long term projection if the shot comes along at some point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

He's nowhere near as skilled as Mays but he might have a better long term projection if the shot comes along at some point. 

I wouldn’t say that. They share very similar traits in their games. Both play with patience, balance and vision. Both attack the paint off the dribble and can finish strong with each hand. Both have sneaky explosion to the hoop. Martin with just a little bit more ups with his ability to catch and finish oops. Martin shot 43% from college 3 while Mays was 32% in the NBA. Their FT shooting though tells you that Martin has some flaws as a 67% guy to Mays’ 88%
Here is a term you like; Martin has a really good second jump especially on the offensive glass. He is an exceptional rebounder for a guard and in a totally different class than Mays in that regards.

Both have passing chops that go under the radar but Mays does a much better job with turnovers as a combo guard compared to Martin as a wing.

Martin can actually post up and get buckets. He already seals off his man better than JC. 

Defensively I have no qualms with either honestly, both are active and disruptive.

Shooting and passing go to Mays

Size and Rebounding to Martin 

everything else is pretty equal 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I wouldn’t say that. They share very similar traits in their games. Both play with patience, balance and vision. Both attack the paint off the dribble and can finish strong with each hand. Both have sneaky explosion to the hoop. Martin with just a little bit more ups with his ability to catch and finish oops. Martin shot 43% from college 3 while Mays was 32% in the NBA. Their FT shooting though tells you that Martin has some flaws as a 67% guy to Mays’ 88%
Here is a term you like; Martin has a really good second jump especially on the offensive glass. He is an exceptional rebounder for a guard and in a totally different class than Mays in that regards.

Both have passing chops that go under the radar but Mays does a much better job with turnovers as a combo guard compared to Martin as a wing.

Martin can actually post up and get buckets. He already seals off his man better than JC. 

Defensively I have no qualms with either honestly, both are active and disruptive.

Shooting and passing go to Mays

Size and Rebounding to Martin 

everything else is pretty equal 

43% from three is a bit of an anomaly based on his 3 previous seasons.

Mays is a lot more skilled as a prospect. He's pretty skilled as a pro. 

https://tankathon.com/players/compare?players=tyrese-martin--skylar-mays

Yeah, it's not close, Mays was a much better college basketball player. Where Martin standout is his 6'7 height with his level of athleticism. Mays is a tweener and really doesn't have a NBA position why he's always a 12th man. I do believe Martin may have more upside if his shot comes along. Amir Coffey is a good comp. 

1 minute ago, AHF said:

I did not follow Martin at all in college so I'm speaking from ignorance here for sure.  That said, I am effectively writing him off for this season since I don't think we will have minutes for him and a pick in the 50's is generally just a name and not a real player (not to mention TS's track record with second round picks).  Reading his scouting report doesn't change that at all.  But I do have a glimmer of hope from this:

A scrapper with a non-stop motor is a good thing for this team if he has the talent to win a place in the rotation.  So I'm rooting for him but I'll consider it gravy if he comes along.

Welcome Tyrese and here's hoping you blow my expectations out of the water!

I think he has 3rd or 4th guard potential if the shot translates. Amir Coffey is a great comp

• Moderators
Just now, NBASupes said:

I think he has 3rd or 4th guard potential if the shot translates. Amir Coffey is a great comp

Just from looking at the numbers, there is definitely a journey to be taken to get the shot to translate.  3 years of 32% 3pt shooting along with 4 years of 65-69% ft% are not encouraging.  Definitely make the 43 for 100 from 3 as a senior look like an outlier.  Like I said, I'll be hoping he crushes my low expectations.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Can someone explain to me why we made this trade?  What did we get besides the opportunity to move down in the draft?

As soon as we traded Rollins to GSW I knew Rollins was gonna end up being a really good player.    

I give this trade an F- until I know more about what we got.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, shakes said:

Can someone explain to me why we made this trade?  What did we get besides the opportunity to move down in the draft?

As soon as we traded Rollins to GSW I knew Rollins was gonna end up being a really good player.    

I give this trade an F- until I know more about what we got.

I can't do anything more than speculate.

My guess is they saw no one they were excited about and saw about 5 guys they had with the same grade and decided they would be just as happy with the pick 7 slots later at that point in the draft but with $2M more to play with if they did the trade.  I can totally understand being upset about the trade if you thought Rollins was going to be great but I struggle more with the idea that you thought Rollins was going to be really good because we traded him.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, AHF said:

I can't do anything more than speculate.

My guess is they saw no one they were excited about and saw about 5 guys they had with the same grade and decided they would be just as happy with the pick 7 slots later at that point in the draft but with $2M more to play with if they did the trade.  I can totally understand being upset about the trade if you thought Rollins was going to be great but I struggle more with the idea that you thought Rollins was going to be really good because we traded him.

You could make the case that Warriors have been good at picking out diamonds in the rough, and because they wanted him, it can be assumed they see high upside with him. Though, our scouting department has been pretty good as well, so I personally am not so upset with trading Rollins because I think he can be good, I'm upset we traded him cause what is the point of getting $2 million in Resslers pockets?

• Like 1

I see something in this kid. I will just go on the record with it now. He has an edgy style to him and has played his way from the bottom up in every situation he has been in. I don't see that changing now. He will eventually push himself in to the rotation on somebody's team some day. 

It will take time, but I will put my name in the hat for him now. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, akay said:

You could make the case that Warriors have been good at picking out diamonds in the rough, and because they wanted him, it can be assumed they see high upside with him. Though, our scouting department has been pretty good as well, so I personally am not so upset with trading Rollins because I think he can be good, I'm upset we traded him cause what is the point of getting $2 million in Resslers pockets?

It isn't monopoly money.  If we get $2M in cash without giving up anything of value, then that can fund investments somewhere else.  

I'm not an advocate of whatever makes Ressler money but if we didn't have a real preference at our original pick then if I was our GM I'd always take a few million that gives me a stronger hand to argue for more salary, etc. later.  Ressler has eaten millions in worthless players to get us picks in the past.  I don't see this as a situation where he has a track record of trying to bleed the team dry.  Just an opportunistic pick of up of cash at negligible cost (assuming our scouts saw the players likely to be available at both picks as equally attractive).

• Like 1