• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Filling out the roster

sturt

20 minutes ago, Wretch said:

Insane how this dude's stock has dropped.  This was MY guy in 2019...  That's crazy to me....and equally crazy that the Hawks are actually signing him.  

I was right there with you.  No risk acquisition with possible upside, so i like it.  I mean, it's better than having the guy we dropped, and I can't even remember his name even though it's only 10 posts ago that I read it.  Talk about no name!

We got the other Cam Reddish level bust now!  Right back where we were lol.

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, shakes said:

looks like the last spot is going to Jarett .

20 minutes ago, sturt said:

Possible that that's the intention... reminiscent of the TLC vs. Okafor camp competition last year, but Culver vs. Silva this year for the #15.

I'm rooting for Silva if that's the case, of course. Tired of being out-beefed.

Wings? We don't need no more stinkin wings.

It's a 2way deal. So that still leaves 1 NBA open roster spot.

Reminder that 2way players can get called up to play 50 NBA games. This might be the play to have a guy with 'NBA EXPERIENCE' in the GLeague that can be called up to play as injury insurance.

Having said that, he has not been a good NBA player though.  

My 👀- his freethrow shooting is ATROCIOUS!!! 46, 60, 47 percent. @Gray Mule will hate that.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, Wretch said:

equally crazy that the Hawks are actually signing him.  

I don't know how credible it was or even who said it, but I recall someone I thought probably knew what they were talking about suggesting that Schlenk was only slightly less intrigued by Culver than he was DH in that draft.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It's a 2way deal. So that still leaves 1 NBA open roster spot.

Right. And it's been said that Silva is a E-10.

So it's not exactly the same... TLC and Okafor iirc were both signed to full-on NBA contracts, but non-guaranteed.

But it could end up theoretically that one of them, or even Etienne, performs so well in camp that they get the last seat on the big club bench.

• Premium Member

Ellison makes 19 total... 14 big league contracts, 2 TWs, and 3 E10s.

All that's left is the 15th seat on the big league team.

Soooooo..........will Schlields...

(a) sign someone to a min vet non-guaranteed deal?

(b) sign another E10, and then let the 6 players duke it out in training camp for that seat?

(c) just leave the 15th seat open for awhile if not a long while?

Or, (d)... my personal fave, of course... will Schlields take advantage of the glut of legit NBA players on rosters w/ guarantees in some amount in Utah (2 too many), Houston (3 too many), Oklahoma City (2 too many), Detroit (2 too many) to swing a 1 (JDay) and a 2nd for 2... or 2 (JDay + Mo) and a 2nd for 3 trade?

(And it would almost have to be a trade, btw, b/c if you let most of these guys get on the market, they're likely to be more attracted to one of these teams that aren't as solid in their rotation.)

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Final spot filled for training camp.

Another freaking guard!, Shlenk & Fields don't value big men.  They could have brought in a stiff at least for a practice.  What are they going to do if Collins, OO or Capela get hurt during training camp? I guess trot out Malik Elllison to play the 4 or 5 spot.  

• Premium Member
On 9/15/2022 at 10:25 PM, sturt said:

Soooooo..........will Schlields...

(a) sign someone to a min vet non-guaranteed deal?

(b) sign another E10, and then let the 6 players duke it out in training camp for that seat?

(c) just leave the 15th seat open for awhile if not a long while?

Or, (d)... my personal fave, of course... will Schlields take advantage of the glut of legit NBA players on rosters w/ guarantees in some amount in Utah (2 too many), Houston (3 too many), Oklahoma City (2 too many), Detroit (2 too many) to swing a 1 (JDay) and a 2nd for 2... or 2 (JDay + Mo) and a 2nd for 3 trade?

We have an answer...

(... she later clarified that she intended "over the tax threshold.")

Soooooooo... c.

My take:

That strategy is reasonable.

That is, as long as (a) you don't acquire and then pencil into your 3rd unit two guys who are quite literally among the league's least reliable back-ups, ie, worst at avoiding injury...

And... as long as (b) you have the beef among your low post options to deal with bigger line-ups.

But.

(a) You did that.

And.

(b) You don't.

If any one of JC, CC, JJ or OO go down for any period of time, history says you're asking for trouble to expect either of those 3rd unit guys to play significant minutes... and even if healthy, neither Harkless nor Kaminsky have the physical attributes to take on beefier bigs.

Hopefully, this is a charade, and the real truth of the matter is that they're anticipating some interesting bigs getting cut, one of which then can be signed to min vet contract.

• Premium Member

I'm nauseous as I write this. But it seems we can safely pencil-in Chris Silva to be the 3rd unit PF after all.

I mean, not that I was enthusiastic about Mo Harkless being our 3rd unit PF. I wanted more beef, and yeah, Silva's about 15-20 lbs more beef. I wanted someone less injury prone, and yeah, Silva appears to have been more durable (and younger).

But when I watch Silva on tape, I'm underwhelmed. Silva's fine for a G-league center, but he's too plodding to be someone you'd turn to if you needed a replacement for several games. He's a shorter C, and not a PF.

And if that's the route we're going, then please wait to see what HOU does with Bruno... and if he's cut, bring Bruno home instead. Bruno has an energy about him that Silva does not, and moreover, Bruno ended 2021-22 on a serious upswing, looking like the player some of us believed he would turn out to be.

Better than Bruno... ie, for a team that fully intends to contend... stop me if you've heard this, but not really...

Would be Marquese Chriss. Chriss has significant experience, and that matters. And he has some bulldog/enforcer/goon to him that would be great to be able to deploy as situations called for that. Like Bruno, there's reason to believe HOU will be seriously considering cutting him due to too many guaranteed contracts and too few roster slots. And the Rockets have options with Bruno that they do not have with Chriss. So, fingers still crossed on that one.

• Premium Member

Update Roster:

PG: Young, A. Holiday
SG: Murray, Bogi, Martin, Krejci
SF: Hunter, J. Holiday, Griffin
PF: Collins, Johnson
C - Capela, Okongwu, Kaminsky

GL 2W Players: Jarett Culver, Trent Forrest
E-10 Players: Tyson Etienne, Chris Silva, Malik Ellison, Armoni Brooks

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

Is very shocking the extreme depth at guard position and the desert at the frontcourt. We just need an injury or 2 to be completely out of playof race. We have not been so thin in any season I can remember.

I kind of disagree.  we don't have extreme depth anywhere.  If Bogi isn't ready to go then we basically have one proven nba guard/wing off the bench in JHoliday.   Holiday/bogi/holiday/JJ/OO isn't much of a bench right now.  Hopefully JJ and OO have big years. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I kind of disagree.  we don't have extreme depth anywhere.  If Bogi isn't ready to go then we basically have one proven nba guard/wing off the bench in JHoliday.   Holiday/bogi/holiday/JJ/OO isn't much of a bench right now.  Hopefully JJ and OO have big years. 

Plus our other bench wings are rookies.

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Update Roster:

PG: Young, A. Holiday
SG: Murray, Bogi, Martin, Krejci
SF: Hunter, J. Holiday, Griffin
PF: Collins, Johnson
C - Capela, Okongwu, Kaminsky

GL 2W Players: Jarett Culver, Trent Forrest
E-10 Players: Tyson Etienne, Chris Silva, Malik Ellison, Armoni Brooks

A couple of these guys are riding a bike...  We can't count on them yet.   So, depth in the backcourt is not what we think it is. 

• Like 2