• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Filling out the roster

sturt

34 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don’t think he’ll ever play here.  Hope to see him find a niche in someone else’s rotation.  I’m still high on Cooper’s talent.  I have no expectations for Martin but don’t feel as bad about him being stuck in the gleague like I would about Mays.

Yeah. On a roster with Trae is just a tough fit for a player like Mays. He'd be an easier fit in a rotation somewhere like the Bucks. 

• Premium Member

Mays?

He's got a lot to weigh. Some may recall that it was said when he was drafted that he may be one of the first ever to choose medical school over the NBA.

Then again, there weren't that many players that McM made a point to talk about in his 30 minute exit interview. But Travis Mays was one. He gushed about Mays' maturity.

Not so sure it's the case that ATL doesn't want him back so much as it is a mutual thing of letting him figure out for himself where he wants to go next, if anywhere. It's not automatic that Sharife is going to get an NBA contract, and with 3 guys who are primarily PGs on the roster already, it actually makes a little more sense to re-sign Mays who has always been a combo guy, and let Sharife do another two-way.

• Like 2

As I said in the podcast. It will be hard for any one other than the rookies to get the minimum because of Atlanta close proximity to the LT. 

1. Kaba

2. Tillman

3. Martin

4. Gap

5. Cooper

6. Clemons

7. Ayayi

8. Brown

9. Mays 

For that last two roster spots. 

Cooper will likely get a contract at some point this season, I just don't expect it to be early. 

Martin and Brown will battle it out for the two way contract 

Coop, Clemons, and Ayayi for the other two way. 

I think Kaba and Tillman make the most sense. They have the most polish and they have the most success. Tillman was just 1st team all G-League and Kaba won MVP of the Turkish league. Both are also rookies which gives them the LT advantage. Martin is on the outside looking in and fighting for that last spot with Brown as a two way guy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NBASupes said:

2. Tillman

Didn’t know he was on our summer league. This kid can ball a bit. He was with the Grizz and doing ok in some games I recall. Enforcer type. He could stick most likely.

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Cooper will likely get a contract at some point this season, I just don't expect it to be early. 

Man I like this kid. Dang. Opportunity.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Didn’t know he was on our summer league. This kid can ball a bit. He was with the Grizz and doing ok in some games I recall. Enforcer type. He could stick most likely.

Man I like this kid. Dang. Opportunity.

You thinking about Xavier Tillman. This is Justin Tillman. He played for College Park 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

It will be hard for any one other than the rookies to get the minimum because of Atlanta close proximity to the LT. 

I agree it's far more likely than not that minimum contracts will fill the rest of the roster if there is no other move made.

I've said it a couple of times that I disagree that the tax at the moment is a big issue... it's just now the very start of the year, and there's plenty of time to put the payroll into whatever place that Ressler is comfortable with.

I don't think you have to limit your options to rookies. Not at all. My bet is that there will be one new vet on the roster, albeit one that doesn't really get anyone all that excited about his addition.

G'nite.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

Not sure about Kaba but I like Tillman.

Kaba is ready. You win MVP in a serious league like Spain or Turkey, you are for real and this wasn't even his breakout season, that was last year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

You thinking about Xavier Tillman. This is Justin Tillman. He played for College Park 

🤦‍♀️ ughhhhh {insert got heeeeem gif}

Torrey Craig… Craig Smith… 🤦‍♀️ again..

Thanks, ya I don’t know anything about Justin 😂 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

🤦‍♀️ ughhhhh {insert got heeeeem gif}

Torrey Craig… Craig Smith… 🤦‍♀️ again..

Thanks, ya I don’t know anything about Justin 😂 

Xavier has a versatile skillful game. Justin has a game similar to Kevin Willis and physically looks like a smaller Montrezl Harrell. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Justin Tillman is flat out hustle though.  I'd love to see him get a chance.   At times he dominated the paint in G league.  He's small for a big but he makes up for it.  

Who knows a lot about European leagues?  I'm curious what the second best league in the world is and where G league ranks in pro leagues. 

• Thanks 2

It is unhandy to be so poor that you can't afford to get what you want.  Payroll is what it is and, for the most part, the Hawks were the organization that signed them to their contracts.  So, who do we blame?  Us!

🧑‍🔧Under construction..

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Justin Tillman is flat out hustle though.  I'd love to see him get a chance.   At times he dominated the paint in G league.  He's small for a big but he makes up for it.  

Who knows a lot about European leagues?  I'm curious what the second best league in the world is and where G league ranks in pro leagues. 

Euroleague is the 2nd best league in the world. 

Spain and Turkey are tied for 3rd

Eurocup is 4th. 

Italy, Greece, and France 5th

China, G-League, Countries like Germany are 6th.

7th is a lot of smaller cake leagues plus leagues like the CBA when it was around and teams like Overtime elite. Also the African Basketball league. 

8th Harlem Globetrotters and leagues in Venezuela and the DR and other Caribbean Islands. 

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member

PG: Young (37.0), Aaron Holiday (1.8), Cooper (1.5 QO)
SG: Murray (16.5), Bogi (18),  Shaundee: 2W (.5 2W)
SF: Hunter (9.8), Justin Holiday (6.2) Griffin (3.5),
PF: Collins (23.5), Johnson (2.7), Mo Harkless (4.5)
C - Capela (18.7), Okongwu (6.3) Kaminsky (1.8)

TOTAL Guaranteed Salary = $150.4 million

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
On 7/8/2022 at 2:48 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

PG: Young (37.0), Aaron Holiday (1.8), Cooper (1.5 QO)
SG: Murray (16.5), Bogi (18),  Shaundee: 2W (.5 2W)
SF: Hunter (9.8), Justin Holiday (6.2) Griffin (3.5),
PF: Collins (23.5), Johnson (2.7), Mo Harkless (4.5)
C - Capela (18.7), Okongwu (6.3) Kaminsky (1.8)

TOTAL Guaranteed Salary = $150.4 million

Double-checked this b/c it didn't seem right.

Kirschner is right that ordinarily a team needs to have 14 on its roster.

But then again, a team can have 13 for a 2-week period at a time.

• Premium Member

Travis and Landry, you've come to the right thread 😎...

I'm looking for a Taj Gibson like enforcer... a guy with a reputation for doing the dirty work in the post... whether instead of Kaminsky or in addition to. Word had gotten around that you guys wanted a tougher, grittier group... fair to say we've taken a half-step that way w/ the additions of Murray and Harkless... and, yeah, I'd concur with the general observation that some of that "tougher, grittier" is best to come from some personal growth in the guys who already get a lot of minutes... but you've got a roster slot where you can take that half-step to a full step.

Is that Kaba? Is that Tillman?

I dunno. Maybe.

Is that Bruno?

Think that's a more definite maybe... he's begun to show some of that aggression and productivity in BOS and HOU that was evident in his SO yr at Maryland, and that perhaps would've surfaced in ATL had covid and his mom's death not conspired to sideswipe his development.

Is that Derrick Favors?

Absolutely, it's Derrick Favors, imo... only real question is if/when OKC and he would get together on a buyout. Of course, there'd be competition for his services, but you'd like to think his hometown Hawks would be the kind of place he's like to spend his last years playing for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Is that Derrick Favors?

Absolutely, it's Derrick Favors, imo... only real question is if/when OKC and he would get together on a buyout. Of course, there'd be competition for his services, but you'd like to think his hometown Hawks would be the kind of place he's like to spend his last years playing for.

That’s a @kg01 dude. Where is he right now I lost track? OKC? They won’t use him at all. Or shouldn’t.

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Or shouldn’t.

It makes little sense, of course, for OKC to have him... or JaMychal Green, for that matter... on their roster. Presti has openly admitted that he's shopping Green. Better chance that he deals Green than that he deals Favors, so better chance that there's a buyout that would make Favors available.

I like our chances of getting Favors over our chances of getting Green, regardless.

I would like to see the Hawks pick up Ayton on a sign and trade for Capela. My only concern is a lack of physicality with Ayton and Collins. We also lost some three point shooting with the loss of Heurter and Gallo.  Another floor spacer would help.

I may be in the minority but I still think Kris Dunn still has something to offer in the way of perimeter defense and toughness. Not sure how he fits with the current roster construction but he could handle a role similar to Solo. The current staff had a good look at him so maybe he is past his prime.