• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Post-Moratorium Insider Rumor Thread

AHF

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I'm all for player empowerment but things have gone a step too far.

My very words the day after Nolan Ryan signed the first $1m professional sports contract. 😉

(Not really... but you get my point in saying that.)

• Haha 3

This is the most anyone has said without really saying much. :huh:

Thanks Biz..

“Everybody has got to what’s best for them and their family,” Biyombo said. “As an athlete, you’re here to support them. I’m not here to ever push anybody. KD asked for a trade. He knows what’s exactly best for him and nobody can tell him what’s best for him. As for DA’s situation, I think the team would love to have DA back. Everybody loves DA. I don’t know that situation, but at the end of the day, I do know the front office is doing everything possible to put each person in the best environment to play basketball.”

• Like 4

• Premium Member
On 7/8/2022 at 5:11 PM, NekiEcko said:

61 million per year?!?!?  What in the holy heck can you do with that much money???

I’d add another barrel to my money gun.

On 7/9/2022 at 8:06 PM, LucastheThird said:

Don't see any jump shot photos.............

Of course not.  It's a secret.  Only those of the Squawk nation knows about this.

😇

• Haha 1

• Moderators
On 7/8/2022 at 9:27 PM, Gray Mule said:

I've got a problem.  Max contracts take too much of the total payroll and leaves a team with too many cheaper players to fill out their roster.  Yeah, I know.  Great all-star players must be paid mega bucks.  Why?  It says to all the other players on the team, "Too bad, sucker.  That's what it costs to play with me."  

😪

I actually would make a case from the opposite perspective and say the max salary is bad for the league because it promotes super teams.  If you had the same salary cap structure but no max salaries then instead of the Heat getting LeBron, Bosh and Wade for $14M per, they would have gotten closer to 30M per which would have prevented them from stacking all those stars on the same roster.  It is the existence of max salaries that let teams stack the deck.  

If Portland is willing to pay 61M for Lillard, how much would Giannis, Luka, etc. get if there was no max?

• Confused 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

I actually would make a case from the opposite perspective and say the max salary is bad for the league because it promotes super teams.  If you had the same salary cap structure but no max salaries then instead of the Heat getting LeBron, Bosh and Wade for $14M per, they would have gotten closer to 30M per which would have prevented them from stacking all those stars on the same roster.  It is the existence of max salaries that let teams stack the deck.  

If Portland is willing to pay 61M for Lillard, how much would Giannis, Luka, etc. get if there was no max?

I don't think it's a real disagreement...

AHF is saying Max Salaries put a cap on teams. 

Mule is saying that a Max player taxes the team's cap. 

I think both can be true at the same time... it's just a matter of Perspective...

GIF perspective - animated GIF on GIFER

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, AHF said:

But, then you have to eliminate the cap, like baseball. Because some team would offer Luka the whole cap and force the NBA to make an exception.

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

But, then you have to eliminate the cap, like baseball. Because some team would offer Luka the whole cap and force the NBA to make an exception.

Nope.  Under my version you still have to comply with the cap.  There is simply no max salary.  So cap holds, etc. would prevent you from offering so much you couldn’t fill the other roster spots.  If some team wants Luka plus 13 minimum salary guys then more power to them.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Diesel said:

I don't think it's a real disagreement...

AHF is saying Max Salaries put a cap on teams. 

Mule is saying that a Max player taxes the team's cap. 

I think both can be true at the same time... it's just a matter of Perspective...

GIF perspective - animated GIF on GIFER

I’m not saying max salaries put a cap on a team.  They do the opposite.  Where LeBron and Wade might command salaries  large enough to fill a team’s entire cap in the absence of max limitations, the max salary restriction makes it so they can add Chris Bosh and other quality players.  It allows teams to stack the roster and the players aren’t sacrificing anything to make it happen since they still get their max or close to it either way.  Taking 15M when you can only make 17M is easy compare to passing up 40M.