Post-Moratorium Insider Rumor Thread

AHF

18 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Update but you aren't going to like it:

My sources say the Hawks can't get Ayton to agree to a less than max salary. Also, Trae told them not to trade Capela for Ayton and to keep Capela. The team avoids paying Ayton and pissing off Trae...and potentially avoids the luxury tax. Remember, the tax isn't collected until the end of the season so the Hawks could send either of the two bums we got from the Kings to avoid the tax.

So its basically a huge loss IMO to the Hawks to not get Ayton but it makes Trae happy and it avoids paying Ayton and the luxury tax. 

Until the Hawks actually pay the luxury tax I will never believe Ressler will actually do it. And if you aren't paying the LT you are NOT and never will be a serious title contender.

I like Ayton and want him here, but not on a max contract. Centers just aren't worth that much anymore unless your name is Jokic, Embiid, or Bam. 

And if the Pacers sign him to a max, they will continue to be at best a 1st or 2nd round exit waiting to happen. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, Sothron said:

My sources say the Hawks can't get Ayton to agree to a less than max salary. Also, Trae told them not to trade Capela for Ayton and to keep Capela. The team avoids paying Ayton and pissing off Trae...and potentially avoids the luxury tax. Remember, the tax isn't collected until the end of the season so the Hawks could send either of the two bums we got from the Kings to avoid the tax.

So its basically a huge loss IMO to the Hawks to not get Ayton but it makes Trae happy and it avoids paying Ayton and the luxury tax. 

Until the Hawks actually pay the luxury tax I will never believe Ressler will actually do it. And if you aren't paying the LT you are NOT and never will be a serious title contender.

To make the trade work now, we'd be sending out Capela $18 mil to Suns plus salary: so one of Bogi or Collins or J Holiday and Harkless combined (but not for 30 days after Kings trade) to a 3rd team since the Suns can't take back more than ~$18 mil for Ayton while the Hawks need to match $30.5 million in outgoing salary.

So it's either Bogi or Collins now, then clear the tax at the trade deadline by trading Holiday and/or Harkless.  Or Trading Holiday and Harkless now and staying over the tax. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Staying below the luxury tax

That's not it.  The Hawks are above the Luxury tax now. 

Ayton complicates roster construction because you have to move out two possibly three players, you'll be hard capped after the trade, you'll also have to find three players at rookie minimums to fill out the roster. 

It's just a lot more complicated with Ayton. I really want them to do it though because I believe we added enough perimeter defense to make up for the loss of Clint's rim protection.

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

weve known this for weeks...

sigh ressler wants to be cheap

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Sothron said:

you aren't going to like it

Well... depends on who "you" is, of course.

Some of us don't think the guy that Monty benched in high leverage situations is a smart buy in the first place. And it remains plausible if not likely that our HC never was pounding the table for him, either, whether b/c he shares Trae's affection for Clint or b/c he knows things that others don't as a consequence of his relationship with Monty.

So, me? "You aren't going to like it." I'm thrilled. New toy you would have spent significantly more to get, and with no guarantees of him even being an improvement in any of the critical areas, while absolutely representing a whole new piece to have to embed into the chemistry of this group, and potentially, dare I say it, a whiner at that.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, AHF said:

Anyone want to bet against the Hawks getting under the LT line by the deadline for tax calculations?

Indeed, Hawks can start season over tax and after we win the 'ship get under the tax before the new league year kicks in.

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Anyone want to bet against the Hawks getting under the LT line by the deadline for tax calculations?

It would be difficult, that would require a JC trade and that depends on how the Hawks are playing. 

12 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

It would be difficult, that would require a JC trade and that depends on how the Hawks are playing. 

Not true.  They are barely over the luxury tax, so why would they cut JC and not Kaminsky or just trade Harkless or Holiday? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Not true.  They are barely over the luxury tax, so why would they cut JC and not Kaminsky or just trade Harkless or Holiday? 

Because of the requirement to keep the roster at 14 minimum as a rule (can be less for up to two weeks' time), seems indeed you'd have to say goodbye to one or more of your non-minimum contracts.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, sturt said:

Because of the requirement to keep the roster @ 14, seems indeed you'd have to say goodbye to one or more of your non-minimum contracts.

You'd just sign a minimum guy for the prorated version of what's left in the season, or convert a 2way player to an NBA minimum contract.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think we are making too much about the luxury tax.

Landry Fields made it known that they are well aware of it, and unless we clearly over-exceed expectations oit of the gate in which case we push more chips in, we will likely fall under the luxury tax this season to preserve a year as a repeat offender.

https://www.nba.com/news/qa-hawks-gm-landry-fields-dishes-on-dejounte-murray-more-offseason-changes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You'd just sign a minimum guy for the prorated version of what's left in the season, or convert a 2way player to an NBA minimum contract.

Unless I had a data entry typo, we're about $4-5m over right now, projecting some minimum salaries into the two open roster slots (Sharife and Bruno). Don't think that gets it done, my friend, without making a trade.

2022-07-10_17-30-02.png

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, sturt said:

Unless I had a data entry typo, we're about $4-5m over right now, projecting some minimum salaries into the two open roster slots (Sharife and Bruno). Don't think that gets it done, my friend.

2022-07-10_17-30-02.png

I'm not available to look closely at the numbers but my quick calculations:

If we're trading for Ayton ($30.5) sending out Capela ($18.7) to Suns and Bogi ($18 mil) to a 3rd team (say to OKC 😀 for Favors or Green). What does that look like.

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm not available to look closely at the numbers but my quick calculations:

If we're trading for Ayton ($30.5) sending out Capela ($18.7) to Suns and Bogi ($18 mil) to a 3rd team (say to OKC 😀 for Favors or Green). What does that look like.

2022-07-12_09-56-54.png