• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

One remaining NBA roster spot! Which position would you fill and why?

JayBirdHawk

Which of these spots?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, terrell said:

Welp Rife was waived. Another 2-way open...

Whoa.

Did not see that coming. Once a guy signs his offer, you figure you can turn that page.

So, those of you like me who have been so persuaded that Summer League really doesn't hold much gravity...

Think we have to start re-thinking that, no???

Martin was signed after a stand-out performance to a real deal.

Coop, let go, after a stand-out performance but for standing out for the wrong reasons.

Hmmm.

1 minute ago, sturt said:

Whoa.

Did not see that coming. Once a guy signs his offer, you figure you can turn that page.

So, those of you like me who have been so persuaded that Summer League really doesn't hold much gravity...

Think we have to start re-thinking that, no???

Martin was signed after a stand-out performance to a real deal.

Coop, let go, after a stand-out performance but for standing out for the wrong reasons.

Hmmm.

I'd say this had more to do with the middling gleague season ... followed up by a less than stellar summer. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sturt said:

Yes, overall, but he finished really strong.

Really don't know what to make of it, me.

In 'The Cobbled Together...' thread by @thecampster from April 27th, he said:

Cooper – Cooper openly complained about his role and opportunities. He may not be back and could be packaged.

I'm trying to figure out the timing though.

I think both the Hawks and Cooper expected a better SL showing with the possibility of even getting an NBA contract.

From what I understand, Summer League struggles did play at least a part in the decision....per Brad Rowland

I do wonder what the 'other part' was?

• Like 2

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Is Justin Tillman a viable candidate as our last big?

My vote is no. It surprised me that he didn't perform better in SL.

Bruno (and several others) almost have to be ahead of him.

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I vaguely recall one of our insiders suggesting he and his agent made rumbles about his lack of pt on the real team.  Am I misremembering? 

3 posts prior I made reference to it from Campster 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

3 posts prior I made reference to it from Campster 

Burd you know I don't really read your posts. 😳

Glad I wasn't making that all up.  Really seems he played his way outta here in more ways than one.  What a miss .... again (as you pointed out elsewhere .... see I do read you).

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

I’m calling it early.

The lesson of Sharife Cooper would seem to be to be a bit more measured.

Actually, a lot.

But okay.

Tyrese Martin, the Mike Scott stunt double, will be our best second round pick since Mike Scott.

Whoever made the decision on Martin, this morning, has some splainin to do.

That was totally unnecessary, as it turns out. You could have saved yourself a roster slot for a vet by holding off and letting the Cooper thing play out.

Martin should be a TW. Like most 2nd rounders, he would have almost certainly taken that and have been satisfied with it. Assuming average health, he's not going to play enough games for it to actually matter whether he's on a two-way contract.

But instead, now you have a TW slot open that no veteran asset can or would be willing to fill even if they could.

31 minutes ago, sturt said:

The lesson of Sharife Cooper would seem to be to be a bit more measured.

Actually, a lot.

But okay.

Whoever made the decision on Martin, this morning, has some splainin to do.

That was totally unnecessary, as it turns out. You could have saved yourself a roster slot for a vet by holding off and letting the Cooper thing play out.

Martin should be a TW. Like most 2nd rounders, he would have almost certainly taken that and have been satisfied with it. Assuming average health, he's not going to play enough games for it to actually matter whether he's on a two-way contract.

But instead, now you have a TW slot open that no veteran asset can or would be willing to fill even if they could.

Well, my call is based on a wild ass guess.  Law of averages on having no 2nd round pick amount to anything for about 10 years.  Plus Martin showed something to merit a 2 year contract.  But the spirit of my post is more like a guy saying "I feel lucky" after winning an early hand in poker.  I didn't even watch summer league for more than half a game.  

As far as Cooper costing us a vet min salary slot, OK.  I get that some teams really get a value player that turns into a contributor like Gary Payton II, but I also understand that it's difficult for teams to manage the back of the roster perfectly.  I'm not getting hung up on 2nd round picks and 15th man decisions.  My focus is on the rotation and top of the rotation in particular.  

Why so serious?  

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I'm not getting hung up on 2nd round picks and 15th man decisions.  My focus is on the rotation and top of the rotation in particular.  

Why so serious?  

Why so serious, eh?

You're asking me that the year after TLC was the 16th player signed (but beat out Okafor, the 15th signed), and it turned out that player ended up having to start as many games as Gallo did.

You're asking me that, now, at this point in the off-season... after the rotation by most accounts is probably well-settled.

Why so serious???... hehe... it would seem to be the one thing we really have remaining to talk about, hence the title and popularity of this thread... and it sure would be nice to supplement the roster with a decent PG/SG piece and a decent PF/C piece, but instead, we can only do one or the other.

On 7/25/2022 at 7:52 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Is Justin Tillman a viable candidate as our last big?

Mo Harkless has not been able to stay healthy. So they may be looking for a cheap young two way player that can be the 3rd PF if Harkless can't stay healthy?

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

And Bruno is off the board.  Re-signed with the Rockets.

See the source image

I was patiently waiting for you, lol. The good news for you is it's an Exhibit 10 deal, a training camp invite with a spot for the Houston GLeague. So the Hawks will need to give him an NBA deal to pry him from Houston's grip  🤣 

• Like 3