Is there a hard reality Check Coming???


Diesel
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Premium Member
30 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Listening to a podcast today...

A "basketball expert" laid out how Dejounte Murray is Overrated. In essence he said that last year was a fluke... and that Murray cannot fill the "Kevin Huerter" role and how our offense will suffer because we no longer have Huerter. 

 

Question...

Is there a harsh reality check coming?

Hmmm.  Huerter isn't even in the same universe as Murray in any category except 3 point shooting and even with that, most of Hueter's 3 pointers were catch and shoot vs Murray's pull ups

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Hmmm.  Huerter isn't even in the same universe as Murray in any category except 3 point shooting and even with that, most of Hueter's 3 pointers were catch and shoot vs Murray's pull ups

The point that was being made is that Murray's allstar rise came because he was all San Antonio had.  They talked about his Ecology is going to change.  i.e. he's going to be playing with a better class of player and he can't hog the ball.   The brit sounding guy said that before last year, Murray was run of the mill.   So playing with Trae will turn him back to run of the mill... i.e. lesser than Huerter...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No. 
 

Also, you can’t and shouldn’t really try and compare the two. Kev doesn’t nearly have the skillset and athleticism to even get close to what Dejounte brings.

I loved Kev but no.

We will be fine, that podcaster may not last.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reality check coming.  You bet!  Harsh?  Nope.  I can't believe that this is happening.  To those of us who are dreaming that, as of now, the Hawks are perfect, be at once undeceived.  We are not.  Will we be improved over last season?  Yes.  I believe.  A lot of our success or lack thereof revolves around all our new Hawks.  We have several.  They must do well for the Atlanta Hawks to do well.

🧑‍🔧

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My hope is that the NBA and the pundit class are the ones in for a reality check.  Trae Young's stock is too low right now.  What we're adding is being dismissed.

The story line will be as ridiculous as Dejounte Murray is teaching Trae how to be a winner and he's no longer a soft stat chaser.    

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Premium Member

I think Murray is a big upgrade also.  The Huerter we saw last year is not a starting calibre 2 guard on an elite team.   Not unless we have an elite 3.  

I do think we don't have enough 3 point shooting anymore.  Last year we were 2nd in the league in % but middle of the pack in attempts.  If our % dips then points from 3s is going to be bad.   Hopefully it doesn't matter. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Premium Member
3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I do think we don't have enough 3 point shooting anymore.  Last year we were 2nd in the league in % but middle of the pack in attempts.  If our % dips then points from 3s is going to be bad.   Hopefully it doesn't matter. 

I guess the questions are how are we to offset Gallo and Huerter's 3pt shooting:

1. Can JJ and/or Frank K pick up some of the Gallo slack

2. More quality attempts/looks for Hunter and Collins

3. With Murray on board, will Trae have more CnS opportunities instead of pull up 3s.

4. Holiday will need to improve is 3pt percentages 34% as opposed to Huerter's 38% on similar attempts

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Diesel said:

The point that was being made is that Murray's allstar rise came because he was all San Antonio had.  They talked about his Ecology is going to change.  i.e. he's going to be playing with a better class of player and he can't hog the ball.   The brit sounding guy said that before last year, Murray was run of the mill.   So playing with Trae will turn him back to run of the mill... i.e. lesser than Huerter...

 

I think it partly depends on if he can become a better shooter. If you play with Trae and you have so alpha mentally and can shoot... You will have chances.

You take Collins... Who has complained about his role on offense. He might think that he doesn't get enough touches, but the truth is that he doesn't have a killer mentality. He doesn't want to blame himself for that, and so he complains that he doesn't get feed enough.

Murray is a good slasher.... If you have his slashing ability, his scoring mentality and you pair that with 37% shooting... You will score.

Collins nor KH have that killer personality. Murray has enough of it to be really good. This backcourt can somewhat resemble what Portland had a few years back.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Premium Member
18 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I guess the questions are how are we to offset Gallo and Huerter's 3pt shooting:

1. Can JJ and/or Frank K pick up some of the Gallo slack

2. More quality attempts/looks for Hunter and Collins

3. With Murray on board, will Trae have more CnS opportunities instead of pull up 3s.

4. Holiday will need to improve is 3pt percentages 34% as opposed to Huerter's 38% on similar attempts

My concern with Holiday is that he hasn't really played on a good team kind of ever.   He's only really played in 4 playoff games in his career and he's 33. 

With Frank I'm not sure.  I don't know his game at all but it'll be interesting to see if he ends up being the new Dieng and not really in the rotation.  

So it all comes back to Hunter, Bogi, JC being available and kicking it up a notch. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

The Huerter we saw last year is not a starting calibre 2 guard on an elite team.   Not unless we have an elite 3.

Even then, Huerter isn’t a starter. 

16 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

I think it partly depends on if he can become a better shooter. If you play with Trae and you have so alpha mentally and can shoot... You will have chances.

You take Collins... Who has complained about his role on offense. He might think that he doesn't get enough touches, but the truth is that he doesn't have a killer mentality. He doesn't want to blame himself for that, and so he complains that he doesn't get feed enough.

Murray is a good slasher.... If you have his slashing ability, his scoring mentality and you pair that with 37% shooting... You will score.

Collins nor KH have that killer personality. Murray has enough of it to be really good. This backcourt can somewhat resemble what Portland had a few years back.

Who is this? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I don't know his game at all

If it still resembles what he was when he was younger then I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with him. He knows what he can and can’t do and stays in those lanes.

He is good at catching cutters to going to the hoop with brilliant passing skills for a big, he can can the open jumper if left alone with doesn’t shoot as well when pressured due to a slower and more methodical release.

I liked Dieng, and I like Frank. Both team guys to me. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Premium Member
17 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

My concern with Holiday is that he hasn't really played on a good team kind of ever.   He's only really played in 4 playoff games in his career and he's 33. 

With Frank I'm not sure.  I don't know his game at all but it'll be interesting to see if he ends up being the new Dieng and not really in the rotation.  

So it all comes back to Hunter, Bogi, JC being available and kicking it up a notch. 

I'm hoping JJ can be the backup 4, he may not shoot the 3 like Gallo but maybe his varying skillset being more athletic and playing above the rim offsets the 3pt volume from Gallo.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.