• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is there a hard reality Check Coming???

Diesel

• Moderators
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm hoping JJ can be the backup 4, he may not shoot the 3 like Gallo but maybe his varying skillset being more athletic and playing above the rim offsets the 3pt volume from Gallo.

I really hope JJ can be in the rotation.   Of everything i saw from him in college park, his passing could make him really dangerous.   Especially next to a guy like OO who has good hands and touch around the hoop.   I just have no idea if JJ can play D or not. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member

As was thoroughly discussed in the lead-up to the Murray trade, he's not a sure thing... players like Oladipo caution imagining that achieving a single All-Star Game (and at that, a replacement) establishes a player as upper tier or near upper tier for succeeding seasons.

But you have to like Murray's chances... not by evidence of history.... interestingly enough given a recent conversation in a whole other realm that I'm absolutely not going to venture into... but by evidence of line of reason... the theory makes too much sense to not feel good about it proving true.

• Like 1

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, sturt said:

I think we have good reason to believe JJ can play D better than Gallo, though... no?

You would hope but at least Gallo knew what to do and had the effort.  He just lacks physical ability.   But if you don't know how to play D then all the ability in the world won't help.   I'm optimistic though.

• Like 3

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Whose better Gallo or Bogi? At one on one and team D last year? I’m just asking because I think it’s close but not sure.

Last year might have been Gallo but 2 knees Bogi is pretty solid in my opinion.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Whose better Gallo or Bogi? At one on one and team D last year? I’m just asking because I think it’s close but not sure.

Yes!

6 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

but 2 knees Bogi is pretty solid in my opinion. 

:laugh1:...I will agree that a healthy Bogi can do somethings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Gallo because of Bogi's knee.  When Bogi's knee is good, Bogi gives a good effort.   And Gallo's defense has always been suspect. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

believe that they became a crutch for us...  a bad crutch for us at that.  I recall praying that we would just come down and somebody would put the ball on the floor (DH) and drive the lane because at times, we had 3 guys on the perimeter and the only other thing we were doing was playing 1/5 PNR. 

Agreed. Look, I love what Gallo brought for a 2 years ago but last year he was a liability for us, there were nights where he wouldn’t stop jacking up shots and they weren’t going in… I know I know shooters shoot, but he shot us out of a few games for sure, however in his defense, if he didn’t shoot us out, someone else would have most likely.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Diesel said:

And Gallo's defense has always been suspect. 

True the only thing Gallo is underrated at is banging down low, sometimes I get the feeling that just because he’s a perimeter player on offense that some players think he’s soft and find out he’s not THAT soft in the post. 

But overall, ya he’s a C-/D+ defender at best, he can’t shuffle those feet 👣 fast enough to stay in from of people.

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Agreed. Look, I love what Gallo brought for a 2 years ago but last year he was a liability for us, there were nights where he wouldn’t stop jacking up shots and they weren’t going in… I know I know shooters shoot, but he shot us out of a few games for sure, however in his defense, if he didn’t shoot us out, someone else would have most likely.

Yeah i'm sure Gallo looked around at his passing options who were all like tenor.gif?itemid=15839149

and just decided he was the best option. 

• Haha 4

• Premium Member

About his Post game, Gallo's post game was so deadly because he started as a big Sf who mostly shot from outside.   But the guy has post skills.  I  hate we couldn't keep him and I really hate he went to Boston, but we got Younger and More defensive this offseason.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Diesel said:

About his Post game, Gallo's post game was so deadly because he started as a big Sf who mostly shot from outside.   But the guy has post skills.  I  hate we couldn't keep him and I really hate he went to Boston, but we got Younger and More defensive this offseason.

Ya that’s the thing I always wondered. I mean it takes away a bit from the transition game obviously but why didn’t we milk 🥛 that play over and over until they stopped it. We seemed to go to it every 10 plays or so. 

I don’t know but old school coaches used to POUND a play till the opposition stopped. Now it’s my turn your turn style, nah I’m in favor of milking to your advantage as Gallo was like you said superior in the post due to just being bigger most of the time and being able to shoot over people like Kay Dee.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
52 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Ya that’s the thing I always wondered. I mean it takes away a bit from the transition game obviously but why didn’t we milk 🥛 that play over and over until they stopped it. We seemed to go to it every 10 plays or so. 

I don’t know but old school coaches used to POUND a play till the opposition stopped. Now it’s my turn your turn style, nah I’m in favor of milking to your advantage as Gallo was like you said superior in the post due to just being bigger most of the time and being able to shoot over people like Kay Dee.

You are right.  I think had Trae been a more veteran PG...we would have milked Gallo til he was stopped.  I'm talking more Vet like Magic.   I think it's that he went with one strategy.. run the play to open up the floor for the shooters.   The problem is that the floor was always open for the shooters (including himself) so with all the other options, he would go away from the post. 

However, this season, he has to add more strategy than just that.  We will have slashing plays with Murray, we will have plays with Hunter going to the rim and we may even have some times when JC wants the ball going into the post.   Those plays will become more effective than the three point shot has been for us over the past two years. 

• Like 1